Change title screen music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What song should play on the main menu?

Main Menu (No change)
40%
Journey's End
28%
Wanderer
13%
Transience
20%

Total votes: 40

lipk

Change title screen music

Post by lipk »

I launched up Wesnoth a few minutes ago and was reminded once again how much I hate when the game blasts its introductory fortissimo in my face. I couldn't name another game that features such a loud title screen music and I really do think we should follow the mainstream here and switch to something more ambient. Personally I'd prefer Journey's End or Still Another Wanderer. What do you think?
Last edited by Pentarctagon on January 17th, 2015, 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated poll
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Change title screen music

Post by zookeeper »

I agree it's a bit jarring and loud (especially after listening to it for so long...) so some change or variation would be nice. However, if it's replaced with another core track, I think it should still definitely be a track which starts right away; Journey's End for example has a really long almost-silent period in the beginning (if your volume is low'ish), but tracks like Still Another Wanderer, Legends of the North (might likewise be too bombastic) or Battle Epic might work.
fendrin

Post by fendrin »

Yes please.
I said that years ago.

Can't stand the intro music any longer.
"Wesnoth has many strong points but team and users management are certainly not in them." -- pyrophorus
"The thing a project in the true spirit of open source has to fear is not forking, but clean-room re-implementation. When that happens, you know something is wrong."
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Boo, I like the opening music, it gets me pumped up to play :lol: Besides, it's only a short tune- what really needs to go us vengeful.ogg, talk about jarring. How can anyone focus on gameplay with trumpets blasting like sirens?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Didn't transience.ogg use to be the title-screen music? It seems inoffensive, short, and goes well with clicking through menus, in my opinion at least.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
willis

Post by willis »

My vote would be Battle Epic - I've always really liked it, but it's kind of short for effective use in scenarios. Also, I don't know how many times we've started Wesnoth after putting the kids to bed only to have the blasting BAHHH BAHHH BAHHHRRRR music remind us that we forgot to turn the sound down.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

This title screen music is the reason I immediately after downloading turn all sound off, for me that gives too bad impression.
lipk

Post by lipk »

So it seems that I have quite a company in disliking the main theme (sorry Crow_T!) but there's no clear preference for a replacement. Since our last Lord of Music is officially gone, what about putting this on a vote?
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

As long as I can put the old one back :geek: My Wesnoth is modified already, what's one more change?
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Maybe if it's not too difficult could it be customizable? Then the problem would be solved forever. ^_^
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

But it is customizable, just need to replace data\core\music\main_menu.ogg. That however does not solve current problem, as this is about default one.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Ravana wrote:But it is customizable, just need to replace data\core\music\main_menu.ogg. That however does not solve current problem, as this is about default one.
Customizable via the Option menu, obviously, not by directly modifying the files. Cheater! (joking :lol: )
The actual theme could remain the default one, but then in the option menu a few other choices are given... Then again, the feasibility of all this is to be verified.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It'd be ridiculous to have an in-game option for something like that.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

IMO, this is a good thing to put in data/game_config.cfg, so that it can be configured that way. IMO it's bad in general to have file paths hard coded into the executable, since it makes it confusing / inconvenient if you want to change them... I would think that in most cases they can go in game_config.cfg instead. I agree with zookeeper that having an in-game option for it is a bit silly.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

iceiceice wrote:IMO, this is a good thing to put in data/game_config.cfg, so that it can be configured that way.
Good thing it already is, then. :lol: