Change title screen music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What song should play on the main menu?

Main Menu (No change)
40%
Journey's End
28%
Wanderer
13%
Transience
20%

Total votes: 40

Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Re: Change title screen music

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I agree with max_torch, Transience seems to sad and defeated to be the main menu song. In addition, I don't think that it's distinctive or memorable enough.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

ancestral wrote:
vultraz wrote:In general, the more options you fork out to the users, the less control the developers have over the experience of the product. Wesnoth is over-burdened by options as it is, way more than an average user needs, so I'm against adding any more.
My fear is the music gets changed, but then people begin to dislike the new song. Why?
  • It always starts over when you go to the main menu
  • It always starts over when you exit even one dialog while in the main menu
  • It can’t be turned off unless you turn off all the music
  • You cannot turn the music off or mute it via a hot key when in the main menu
  • There is no setting to play music in-game but not play music in the main menu
New song, same old problems.
Exactly, this is why I think a small checkbox in the title screen to disable the startup music only would solve the problem most effectively.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

The current track sounds super victorious and striking, and, for better or worse, leaves a major impression. It gives me nostalgia feels. :P Thus, as good as the other songs on the list are, I think it's the best fit, especially over Transience.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

This theme is well... a bit frightening with these brass instruments. I think that the violin and flutes arrangement of the main theme might make it more calm.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I have an open bug for the music stopping and repeating with the main menu theme when navigating back to the main menu.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

pe_em wrote:This theme is well... a bit frightening with these brass instruments. I think that the violin and flutes arrangement of the main theme might make it more calm.
I like it being frightening. It's a game about war, after all. It should frighten you and get you pumped for the game.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Generous

Post by Generous »

+1 for leaving Main Menu music like it is currently. That music has already became an "anthem" of Wesnoth, which gives a nostalgic feeling... As Tom_Of_Wesnoth Crow_T and others have mentioned, it gets you pumped up for the war. Wesnoth is about war, and there's no need for extra sugarcoating ;) It would really suck to have this music gone... :hmm: And, if someone doesn't like it, he/she could just replace a file, which could be done in less than a minute just after an installation of Wesnoth ==> "problem" solved and everyone is happy
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Since it's pretty clear that Transience is not a very popular option, the titlescreen music has been changed to Journey's End in master. If you guys feel it doesn't fit in the upcoming dev releases, we'll change it back to the original.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
name

Post by name »

vultraz wrote:Since it's pretty clear that Transience is not a very popular option, the titlescreen music has been changed to Journey's End in master. If you guys feel it doesn't fit in the upcoming dev releases, we'll change it back to the original.
But Transience is the original. ;)

Transience never got old and set the most appropriate tone for the mysterious and tragic nature of the game's world, so I cast my vote for it albeit too little too late.

However, if it came down to either the loud and tiresome menu theme that has replaced it for all these years or almost any alternative suggested in this thread, I would much prefer the latter. This may be the case for others who voted for alternatives; we may not all have the same first choice but are united in wanting just about anything else.
Sparer

Post by Sparer »

The main menu soundtrack is a classic at this point. Maybe editing to make it less "in your face" but I disagree with completely changing the entire track. Has anyone here ever played the old game "Runescape"? They have tweaked the main menu classic music to sound more appealing, and it worked. But changing the entire song can make the game lose it's authenticity to the players that have been around for a long time.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I spent quite a while listening to the various tracks and thinking before I could cast my vote. I ended up sticking with main_menu. Here are my two cents on the matter:

To me, BfW can't be represented by any one song, and certainly not by main_menu, which I care for only nostalgically. However, since a go-to title song is necessary, I thought whatever it is should be short and sweet--a quick fanfare that triumphantly cries "You opened Wesnoth!!!" followed by a randomly chosen Wesnoth classic to convey one of the other feelings (mystery, tragedy, etc). My impression is that main_menu was written with this exact line of thought in mind, but IMHO it should have been shorter (30-ish seconds) and a bit less brash (more melody, less reliance on chords).

I haven't listened to much UMC music but I doubt there's any that fits the bill I just described. So, unless someone with a lot more skill than I makes a new song with this purpose in mind, I think that main_menu is the best choice.

PS: A go-to title song/fanfare is necessary in my opinion at least, and apparently in that of everyone else on this topic. But must it be out of the question for the title song to be randomly chosen from the DMP?

Aaaaand edit: Sorry I didn't realize this was such a necropost.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG