Change title screen music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What song should play on the main menu?

Main Menu (No change)
40%
Journey's End
28%
Wanderer
13%
Transience
20%

Total votes: 40

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Change title screen music

Post by Pentarctagon »

So the default playlist stays the same, but the intro gets its own playlist?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, DMP shouldn't be used as-is in the title screen or editor, but instead it should have a hand-picked list of its own.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

What would be a good way to determine the songs to include then?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Perhaps it's because I've been hearing that main menu music for half my life (literally) and nostalgia is clouding my judgement, but I would hate to see it go. Every time I launch Wesnoth and hear that music it feels great. For me - it's iconic, and I'm sure it's the same way for many others.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Same here. Although an option to turn it off surely would not hurt. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Pentarctagon wrote:What would be a good way to determine the songs to include then?
I'd suggest someone just writes a list and then we can see if there's anything that really needs to go or be added.

Might as well be me? :whistle:

breaking_the_chains
casualties_of_war
elvish-theme
heroes_rite
journeys_end
legends_of_the_north
northerners
nunc_dimittis
siege_of_laurelmor
silvan_sanctuary
suspense
the_king_is_dead
traveling_minstrels
wanderer
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Paulomat4 wrote:Same here. Although an option to turn it off surely would not hurt. :)
Agreed. I love the music in the game — and I miss the music when playing — but I had to turn off the music because of the loudness and repetitiveness of the main menu music.

Changing the music won’t prevent the music from starting over when closing a window going back to the main menu (unless someone wants to work on a fix for that, in which case, problem mostly solved for me), and depending which song or songs are chosen, it could still be somewhat loud and annoying. For example, “Legends of the North” is a great song, but that too, I’m afraid, would wear my patience thin if it was always starting and playing when I’m in the menus.

I know it’s so easy to create feature creep when we “add one more option” for every little thing, but for this it might actually be a good idea. Then no longer will we have to weigh what’s more important — annoying, repetitive first 10 seconds or so of the main menu music, or no music at all.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

If the music is too loud, surely turning down the volume would help more than replacing it with another song. The song is short and repetitive, yes, but the main menu is there to get you somewhere else, not to be lingered on.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

zookeeper wrote:I'll go with transcience, partly because it's a steady, neutral track tone-wise, but also because it's practically only used in story screens; hearing the title theme in-game usually implies that there's something important or pivotal going on, so any uses of that track as gameplay music in campaigns would likely instantly catch your attention.
Your comment made me vote Main Menu instead of Legends of the North.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Crow_T wrote:what really needs to go us vengeful.ogg, talk about jarring. How can anyone focus on gameplay with trumpets blasting like sirens?
Very true. vengeful.ogg is dynamically compressed and/or clipped, that is why its average loudness can be that high. Should be thrown out of our repository (solely because of that) IMHO. It messures only a DR6 with the dynamic range meter, which is as bad as usually in the loudness war since about the 2000s. It is the loudest track in wesnoth's music, always disturbs me when playing.
When people say "loud" they usually actually mean "lack of dynamics" I think. Most of wesnoth's music has good dynamics however.

As for topic, I would vote for "none", no particular titlescreen music at all, and play random music instead, as seems to be the case already once the main theme has run out.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Adding or removing tracks from the repository is out of the question unless our music experts (i.e. past music contributors) request so. I’m pointing this out just so you people don’t get weird ideas.

(Adding or removing them from DMP is a wholly different matter, though.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

If we are going with ambient music rather than the loud bolshy intro (this would personally please me greatly) then I have a suggestion to make:

Just as the random name generator works, so we could make a random (ambient)music generator.
We could have percussion, wind, string, bass vocal, etc... tracks which would be seperate and random ones would be incorporated randomly.

The problem is that making enough bits of frankenmusic, which will fit together in a non-jarring way would, require a lot of work and at least 1 genius level musician + decent coder with musical inclinations/understanding.
The other problem is that no matter how carefully we do it, somebody's going to start up Wesnoth and get a intro tune they HATE :annoyed: But I motion that this would be an improvement on most people getting a tune they don't like (at least as the intro music, it's not a bad tune in itself) and if you get a rubbish one, at least you'll know that you'll probalby never get that same rubbish tune again.

Heh-heh, I'm coming up with all kinds of devious notions including incorporating it into the main game and a "save this track" function button :twisted:

PS: don't ask me to do it, I can't keep tune in "happy birthday to you" much less code my way out of a fatal exception error.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Menu music is iconic, and should be recognisable, having it be randomly generated would be a bad thing in my opinion.
lipk

Post by lipk »

The problem is that making enough bits of frankenmusic, which will fit together in a non-jarring way would, require a lot of work and at least 1 genius level musician + decent coder with musical inclinations/understanding.
...and this exactly why it's not going to happen.

What are the plans for evaluating the poll? When it's going to be closed? Are 25 votes a convincing enough number to base a decision on?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

lipk wrote:What are the plans for evaluating the poll? When it's going to be closed? Are 25 votes a convincing enough number to base a decision on?
Unless there’s a run-off, or more focused discussion, I don’t see how you can draw any kind of consensus from the poll results. There is no clear winner :|
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer