Change title screen music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What song should play on the main menu?

Main Menu (No change)
40%
Journey's End
28%
Wanderer
13%
Transience
20%

Total votes: 40

iceiceice

Re: Change title screen music

Post by iceiceice »

:lol: problem solved
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

It is pretty jarring, but I've heard it for so long that I think I'd miss it. :P
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hi guys, unofficial LoM here, haven't logged on in ages, just came to chime in.

transience.ogg isn't used anywhere else in mainline I believe. As Aleksi did compose it as a Main Menu theme, I think it would fitting to have it back for now. At least until we get tired of it, and then we can switch it back to the current, so in another four or five years or so ;)

-Tyler
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Tyler Johnson wrote:transience.ogg isn't used anywhere else in mainline I believe.
Well, it is, but only in... 5 places, it seems, meaning rarely enough that it's not really a concern.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Hi guys, unofficial LoM here, haven't logged on in ages, just came to chime in.
Was the pun on purpose or accidental? :P
transience.ogg isn't used anywhere else in mainline I believe. As Aleksi did compose it as a Main Menu theme, I think it would fitting to have it back for now. At least until we get tired of it, and then we can switch it back to the current, so in another four or five years or so ;)

-Tyler
It's a great track, but it doesn't seem quite strong enough for that purpose. I guess it just depends on what kinda vibe you're going for.

I'm also cool with just keeping what's currently there, but of course that's up to other peoplez.
Godspeed, random person!
lipk

Post by lipk »

Since apparently nobody's too excited about making this a poll, I'll just but Transience back to duty, as per doofus-01's and Tyler's suggestion. Thanks for your opinions guys!

EDIT: Done in a7f4849.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Let's try it out and see what the reaction is.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

lipk wrote:Since apparently nobody's too excited about making this a poll, I'll just but Transience back to duty, as per doofus-01's and Tyler's suggestion. Thanks for your opinions guys!
Several people who’ve posted in this thread have the power to turn the OP into a poll. It should’ve been a matter of someone actually doing it instead of attempting to have a meta-poll for it.

Journey’s End would’ve been a great replacement. Between the old and “new” (1.0 - 1.12) titlescreen themes, I’d rather have something that hasn’t been tried before.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Several people who’ve posted in this thread have the power to turn the OP into a poll. It should’ve been a matter of someone actually doing it instead of attempting to have a meta-poll for it.
I referred to the fact that nobody replied to my suggestion to make a poll. Meh, I probably shouldn't be such a democrat and just do whatever I see fit.
fendrin

Post by fendrin »

shadowm wrote:Journey’s End would’ve been a great replacement.
Indeed.
"Wesnoth has many strong points but team and users management are certainly not in them." -- pyrophorus
"The thing a project in the true spirit of open source has to fear is not forking, but clean-room re-implementation. When that happens, you know something is wrong."
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I like the lack of loudness, though the new theme seems a little... I dunno... sad?

Also, I'll make a poll if one is still wanted. Current suggestions so far being:

Journey's End
Still Another Wanderer
Legends of the North
Battle Epic
Transience
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

I'm in favor of one.
Godspeed, random person!
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Just stopping by, briefly.

Personally, I'd prefer the main menu music to start quietly, almost inconspicuously. The reasoning goes, that a definitive opening (something loud and weighty, e.g. main_menu.ogg) makes a strong, accentuated impression immediately upon opening the game. While this might sound like a good thing, actually, due to the fact it is the same, accentuated opening repeating over and over, the impression one is left with after opening the game multiple times is a feeling of repetition or even banality, at least to my ear. This is compounded by the fact that most of us, I presume, do not linger on the menu screen: we often almost straight away click on a campaign, save-game etc. to begin playing. Thus we hear the exact same six second blurb (in this case, a flam roll and fortissimo brass) every time the game is opened. This is not a criticism to the track itself, rather its unfortunate role as the titlescreen music.

Take Morrowind's titlescreen music. I am not saying we should copy anything, but the track's slow and gentle unveiling eases the ear, so upon multiple reiterations, it isn't as tiring. It takes nearly eight seconds for the main tune to appear, yet it sounds fresh due the fact that one won't hear it every time unless one makes a point to linger and listen to the music.

With this in mind, my vote would be for something like Journey's End, or even Siege of Laurelmor.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Siege of Laurelmor feels to me more like a climactic track for large, tense battle scenarios.

I’d like to put forth Heroes’ Rite as an alternative to Journey’s End, even though I’d still greatly prefer the latter since it’s about as varied in composition as I’d expect a titlescreen theme to be.

Also, I think we might want to replace the crummy DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST in the titlescreen with a narrower set of tracks that are more suitable for it. Right now, using DMP means we get some overly action-y tracks:
  • Battle Music (battle.ogg)
  • The City Falls (the_city_falls.ogg)
  • Vengeful Pursuit (vengeful.ogg)
And then there’s a few dissonant entries like:
  • Knalgan Theme (knalgan_theme.ogg) — screams “ominous” to me
  • Suspense (suspense.ogg) — OMINOUS
  • Frantic (frantic.ogg) — ???
Et cetera. This is not a complete list (but this is, for 1.12.0).

(Note for those who aren’t familiarized with the underlying code: the DMP macro is included in a [titlescreen_music] tag from data/core/editor/_main.cfg, even when the editor isn’t loaded. Wesnoth will play music from that list in random order after the main titlescreen music designated in [game_config].)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

I see some excellent songs missing in the poll... :hmm:

While I can understand why for example Over the Northern Mountains has not been included (it starts loudly like the actual theme song), I sincerely wonder why Casualties of War has not been considered.

It doesn't start too loud while exposing its theme, then repeats the theme louder, then there are few second of "ambient", then it recalls again the main theme, then it continues to be discrete but not repetitive ecc. :eng:

I think it's perfect for the purpose. :D

Ofc, I don't want to impose the inclusion of that song in the poll... If there are strong motivations for not including it that's fine, I have a second choice (which is in the list). :whistle: