Open Bundle

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Open Bundle

Post by Heindal »

Zolm wrote: by Zolm » Today, 1:57 pm

Curious to see halcyonic's work at CC0; I remember she was selling her soundtrack from epic battle fantasy 3 (game available on kongregate for free) some years ago. She changed her mind then.

Good for us; I always loved her music.
Well it depends just on the point of view. After all they collected 12.000 $ with the concept of the bundle. So one could say, instead of getting 100$ a year by selling your artwork seperately they decided to get 2400 € per Artist within one month and therefore gave away their copyright. Beside that they will also gain increased popularity for new works, as their older work is shared freely. I think you can still buy her soundtracks - so you can still 'back her' by buying these songs.

I've once explained the open bundle to annother artist, but I don't think she got the concept. I assume that Germany is not ready for such a concept, yet. But it could be a strategy some artists might regret lateron - so I think it highly depends on the decision of the author/artist. But it mustn't be a financial fault, just a different approach to make living.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

aquileia wrote:If you know all UMC compositions however, wow, that's a lot of Wesnoth music you listened to.
    • I noticed a thread on the forums.
      (Expanding UMC Music – http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 41#p532664),
    • that´s how I learned about the meaning of those "UMC Music Books"
      and other collections on the download-server,
    • what lead me to the idea to install them, like
      "Aah, that´s why it´s always the same music..."
    • which, of course, was a false assumption,
      as long as those soundtracks are not included in UMC.
    • Therefore, I decided I would no longer stick to the (good) default-titles when playing Wesnoth:
      I converted OGG to MP3, turn BfW-music off, put the Media Player in the background
      in order to listen to a BfW-playlist with the titles that might (or not) appear one day
      in the environment of one or the other campaign I do not know yet.
Neither do I know ALL UMC compositions yet, over time although...
You noted yourself: That IS a lot of Wesnoth music!!!
And, well, that´s why I am slightly surprised: It is evidently not enough.
A great pity, imo, if writers did not take advantage. I may be wrong...
Spoiler:
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

On freesfx.co.uk, I did not see that end user stuff. When I read it, it only said that you had to credit the site with a full url somewhere in the work. I'll take another look, and if necessary, contact them.
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

To Chewan:

I've used UMC music extensively in the only campaign I have yet published, the Drums of War. I get terribly bored with mainline everything (music, units, terrians, et. al.). It's nice that it's there, but it's not enough for someone like myself.

Fortunately, Wesnoth has a ton of super creative people making new and interesting content all the time in most areas, except, for some reason, music. I burned through the UMC packs some time ago and I haven't seen a new one in awhile. For the current campaign, I will probably be using music primarily from the UMC packs and from opengameart.org.

We could use more portraits too, in my opinion. I had to comission an artist for several for the current campaign. Sadly, my only ability is in programming, so I'm kind of stuck there.

FaeLord
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

RE: freesfx.co.uk

I took another look at their end user license and there seems to be some contradictory statements there - they specifically say that you can use them for video games (among other things), but that you cannot distribute the sound effects themselves, which of course, is impossible, because any game you make is going to have those sound effects sitting in a file somewhere. I shall contact them for clarification, and if necessary, written permission to use them under the GPL. I think they don't want their effects bundled up alone and distributed just as sound effects, but as it is always possible that someone might try to do just that as a resource on the add-ons server at some point, I will see what they say. Very bad if I cannot make this work, as some of the integral sound effects in my work are from there. Although, given what the base sounds are derived from, I'm sure I could find replacements on freesound.org

FaeLord
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

FaeLord wrote:RE: freesfx.co.uk

I took another look at their end user license and there seems to be some contradictory statements there - they specifically say that you can use them for video games (among other things), but that you cannot distribute the sound effects themselves, which of course, is impossible, because any game you make is going to have those sound effects sitting in a file somewhere. I shall contact them for clarification, and if necessary, written permission to use them under the GPL. I think they don't want their effects bundled up alone and distributed just as sound effects, but as it is always possible that someone might try to do just that as a resource on the add-ons server at some point, I will see what they say. Very bad if I cannot make this work, as some of the integral sound effects in my work are from there. Although, given what the base sounds are derived from, I'm sure I could find replacements on freesound.org

FaeLord
Just a small note: the GPL or CC0 is fine. IIRC the GPL can be considered an odd license for non-code stuff.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

What about the other incarnations of the CC, such as CCBY?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Just CC0.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

I believe (but am not sure) that CC-BY is also GNU-GPL–compatible.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I know that CCBY and GPL is not compatible, I've already started a discussions about this and it always had the same outcome.

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39189
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

That is very surprising. CCBY is fairly permissive. CC0 I understand. It's pretty much straight public domain, but CCBY just requires that the artist be credited, unless I missed something. Any idea why it's not considered compatible?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

To quote someone more knowledgeable than I on the subject:
There's a big list here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-lis ... leLicenses

CCBY isn't there so the short answer is its probably not okay, and I think there's a similar list on the creative commons site.

Looking at the CC summary page, it says the following: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

I paraphrase: You may (do anything) and the licensor may not restrict these freedoms, provided that you give credit to the author of the original work and indicate where changes were made. And, there are NO additional restrictions that you may place, legal or otherwise. Moreover the license is transmitted and these restrictions are imposed downstream...

GPL involves additional legal restrictions. For example, you must make the source available in a preferred modifiable format. CCBY doesn't have that as a requirement. For another example, GPL treats the rights differently -- you always have the right to make private copies for modification and use as desired -- only distribution is restricted under some circumstances. CCBY has no such language -- even private copies must be "attributed". And both of them say that no additional legal restrictions may be imposed during distribution.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

FYI, there's nothing saying we couldn't at some point change the policy and provide Wesnoth's music under a separate license or possibly dual licensed. But for the time being, it has to be GPL or (GPL-compatible, e.g. CC0) because that was the license used by the previous contributors when providing their works to us. This means:
a) it could be difficult to track them all down and get them to agree to a second license
b) as far as that goes, nobody's even volunteered to attempt such a thing
c) having some works with different licenses would probably be too confusing (some GPL, some requiring attribution, etc).
d) there are probably some linux distros that wouldn't include our music if it wasn't GPL or GPL-compatible license

So, for all of the reasons listed above, the current policy is very simple: all Wesnoth's code and resources are distributed under the same GPL 2+ license. And that it is the way it shall remain for the foreseeable future. For that reason, we can't accept non-GPL content on the add-ons server.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

I see the problem. . .

Thanks for the info! Definitely good to know before I bother tracking down resources I couldn't use.