Open Bundle

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Open Bundle

Post by Heindal »

There is a bunch of great music provided by the open bundle project. I wonder if we could use the music and art provided there, after all it has been released under public domain "Creative Commons Zero" license. The project details can be found under: http://open.commonly.cc/

But again it could be that the Creative Common Zero is not "compatible" with the GPL licence.
Therefore I'm asking first, if I could use parts of this buddle in one of my projects.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Open Bundle

Post by Sapient »

Yes. CC0 is compatible with the GPL.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CC0

I just listened to a few samples and it does seem quite nice. 8)

That will be a great UMC resource. I'm not sure any of it will be added to core, but if there's a particular track you think should be added, it may be better to discuss its merits on an individual basis.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I love the music of Halcyonic Falcon X and it would definitely fit to one of my campaigns. Maybe as a suggestion we could make an addon ressource pack that provides the parts of the open bundle. However we must name the authors and artist of this bundle, when using parts of it.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Heindal wrote:I love the music of Halcyonic Falcon X and it would definitely fit to one of my campaigns. Maybe as a suggestion we could make an addon ressource pack that provides the parts of the open bundle. However we must name the authors and artist of this bundle, when using parts of it.
I don't think that would be the best idea, since all of the music from that site comes out to 582 MBs and it's not really practical to host every wesnoth-compatible song on the add-on server - especially since we'd end up with multiple instances of the same music as new versions of wesnoth are released.

I think a better idea would be to have a thread stickied in this forum with links to other projects/songs that are under a compatible license.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Well, I've just uploaded an addon called Epicmusic to the Server (the size is ok under 20 MB). It contains some songs of the open bundle and I mentioned the project and the artist. You might want to look into that. If changes are to be made, just message me.

PS: I'm not quite sure if the quality of these songs are ok, after all I had to transfer them to ogg.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Just FYI, I made the stickied thread.

Also, for the size, you could definitely go bigger than 20 MBs. The UMC Music Books are generally ~2x that and iirc you can go up to ~70 MBs before encountering issues.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks. I continued my search for free public domain music and looked into opengameart.
As you can easily filter for music and licence, this might be worth a second look:

this http://opengameart.org/art-search-advan ... n=&=Search
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Heindal wrote:Thanks. I continued my search for free public domain music and looked into opengameart.
As you can easily filter for music and licence, this might be worth a second look:

this http://opengameart.org/art-search-advan ... n=&=Search
Most of that music seems unsuitable for Wesnoth. I did find some usable ones though. These are listed in order of perceived quality and usefulness.

May Contain Battle Music: Music for Interesting Places / Moods: Background Atmosphere/Ambient Sounds:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for posting resources, Heindal. Thanks for going through the files, Sapient.

Some of this stuff is cool, but overall, it just reminds me how lucky Wesnoth was to have the contributors that it did. Pixel art is one thing, but good orchestral music is something else entirely. There should be some sort of scholarship or "summer commission", Wesnoth might actually be able to pull it off.

Or Wesnoth should pay West a salary.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Wow, thanks for looking through the files Sapient.
I should have done that myself.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Thanks to all for these resources. I'm currently working on a campaign, and I'd really like to include some new music in it. I will mention that you could also look at freesound.org or freesfx.co.uk. I have used both of these sites extensively for sound effects for the current campaign I'm working on. Thanks again for the new resources.

FaeLord
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

FaeLord wrote:Thanks to all for these resources. I'm currently working on a campaign, and I'd really like to include some new music in it. I will mention that you could also look at freesound.org or freesfx.co.uk. I have used both of these sites extensively for sound effects for the current campaign I'm working on. Thanks again for the new resources.

FaeLord
Freesound looks good, however freeSFX sounds like it might not work. From their End User License Agreement:
You can not give the sound effects or music tracks to any other person. They must not be added to any file sharing networks, give-away promotions, free give-aways or shared in any manner. You can not sell, rent, loan, lease, sub-license or make the sound effects or music tracks available to any other person.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

I´ve listened to Heindal´s Bundle and the Freesound sites, and Yes! … nice music, good sounds.
Still, doofus-01 pointed already: Wesnoth is lucky to have its own tunes of great contributors.
There are lots of special UMC music packs, numerous titles... it´s just:
So far, I´ve never heard one that´s NOT from the (excellent) default/mainline selection.
(I even started "A new Order", mainly because of its own "Akladian package",
got already to scenario 8 – without a single not yet known composition being played.
There´s still hope, unless … maybe something went wrong with the installation.)
Anyway, efforts to find new sources are laudable,
but why not first a look into the vault of the BfW resources? Did you, FaeLord?
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

Curious to see halcyonic's work at CC0; I remember she was selling her soundtrack from epic battle fantasy 3 (game available on kongregate for free) some years ago. She changed her mind then.

Good for us; I always loved her music.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Chewan wrote: "Akladian package", got already to scenario 8 – without a single not yet known composition being played.
Hmm... you know that you have to install the music packages separately? In the addon list they are categorized as "Resources". All campaigns I played up to date check whether you installed the music pack and default to mainline tunes if you don't.

If you know all UMC compositions however, wow, that's a lot of Wesnoth music you listened to.