Any Good MIDI Programs for Ubuntu [saucy] Available?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

Any Good MIDI Programs for Ubuntu [saucy] Available?

Post by dipseydoodle »

I just recently purchased a (now) very popular midi controller called the YouRockGuitar for synthesizer, and I figured I'd just use it for some garage jams with my buddies, but after thinking for a while, I thought, hey why not do some compositions with it while I'm at it. I'm looking though to fill a small gap. While I loooove the synthy sounds the YRG provides, that's exactly how they are supposed to sound (even all the guitar, flute, violin and organ voices, it sounds very "digitized"). So I would love to hear about any, and all Free, Opensourced and GPL'ed (or not) MIDI/Daw player/programs available for Ubuntu Linux or Mac OS X 10.6. I deffiniatly don't want to compile it for Mac, but I guess I wouldn't mind compiling on Ubuntu. Overall i'm looking for something that I can plug into, and just play off of there and then record it either on there, through something like Audacity, of course OGG support would be awesome.

Also, while I'm at it, if there are any current tracks that need live instrument bits worked in (such as mandolin, acustic guitar etc...) let me know what I can do and I'll see if I can do something.

Thank you, dipsey.
spamatica

Re: Any Good MIDI Programs for Ubuntu [saucy] Available?

Post by spamatica »

Hi dipseydoodle,

Being more than a little partial I can say that the open source alternatives available under linux do lack the polish and feature explosion of proprietary alternatives on other platforms but still, it works if the mind is willing.

The big open source players are:
Ardour
Rosegarden
Qtractor
LMMS
and
MusE, which I'm personally involved with and of course recommend ;)
Just released a bunch of tutorials that might get you an idea of what to expect http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Tutorials

Actually, I came here not so much for playing the game but for the possible pursuit of creating music for open source games using open source tools (to the barricades!).

Regards,
Robert
Ivir_Baggins

Re: Any Good MIDI Programs for Ubuntu [saucy] Available?

Post by Ivir_Baggins »

MuseScore has the option to export scores as MIDIs. I haven't tested it, but it's there, so it should work.