gloomy haunting cave: acherontic

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

x42

gloomy haunting cave: acherontic

Post by x42 »

You're in a gloomy cave, lost, walking since hours, or has it been days? It feels like this place is beyond time.
The only light comes from a flickering torch that keeps eating away at the stale air. It is quiet. Too quiet.
Yet there is sound. It feels like the cave itself is vibrating, weaving its sidled discord into a nonexistent theme.
..or is it just imagination? A death wail that has been echoing these caves for a thousand years.
It is echoing still. Something is approaching...
acherontic_excerpt.zip
(745.63 KiB) Downloaded 734 times

I am thinking about using an electro-acousmatic piece in a UMC - which might be somewhat out of place in BfW - and am curious what you think about attached excerpt.

Would you go crazy when listening to this 5+ mins? :) Would this be completely out of place or inappropriate? - even for a meeting with an Ancient Lich underground?

Are there already similar pieces in some music add-on? Something that sounds like the scene described above?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: gloomy haunting cave: acherontic

Post by West »

I think it's really cool. The more obvious analog synth blips detract from the atmosphere you're trying to build up though, IMO.
x42

Post by x42 »

Thanks for the encouragement.
Yeah, those ring-mod blips are out of place.

Trying to come up with a composition that has neither melody nor obvious rhythm is much more challenging than I thought - especially filling the emptiness in upper-mids where the melody formant usually dominates.
I tried adding some distorted/feedback guitars to no avail. Nor does a squeezing Sax work. Real instruments be doomed.

Anyway, revision two - full five minutes:
acherontic_v2.zip
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 512 times
There are still some metallic sounds that don't really fit the cave environment, but I currently rather like them. Time for a break.
So far it's all done in csounds.com by the way, text-editor composition.
x42

Post by x42 »

PS. off-topic: is there any good reason why one cannot attach .ogg files directly?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

What is the size of the .ogg file? There is an 8 MB limit on attachment size.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
x42

Post by x42 »

.ogg files are comparable to .mp3 - 8MB are plenty for any reasonable demo music.
(embedding it in a zip does not shave off anything - it usually even increases the size a bit)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm not a musician, but I just wanted to say that I thought this was very effective for what you were trying to do. Nice job.
x42 wrote:.ogg files are comparable to .mp3 - 8MB are plenty for any reasonable demo music.
(embedding it in a zip does not shave off anything - it usually even increases the size a bit)
You can post it without zipping it by just changing the file name extension.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
x42

Post by x42 »

doofus-01 wrote:I'm not a musician, but I just wanted to say that I thought this was very effective for what you were trying to do. Nice job.
Thanks. I suppose most wesnoth players are not musicians, eiter. So that's good to hear.

It still needs some mixing/mastering, but I've started using it in the "Roboke's Island" capaign now.
doofus-0 wrote:You can post it without zipping it by just changing the file name extension.
change it to what? Isn't it easier for most users to unzip a file than changing the file extension again so that their audio-player recognizes it?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

x42 wrote:change it to what? Isn't it easier for most users to unzip a file than changing the file extension again so that their audio-player recognizes it?
Change it to .zip. Whether that's easier or not is up to you.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I've added this to UMC Music Book 10. If for some reason you don't want it included, just let me know.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
x42

Post by x42 »

Thanks that's great!

Did you take the latest version (#3) from http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.11/Roboke.tar.bz2 ?

Code: Select all

$ md5sum acherontic.ogg
398957f5d92f77dfadbc44784fc6c006  acherontic.ogg
I'm also attaching it again here again with proper license info.txt in the zip(GPLv2+ or CC-BY)
acherontic_v3.zip
(2.89 MiB) Downloaded 487 times
Cheers!
Last edited by x42 on October 21st, 2013, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

No I hadn't, thanks!
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code