More Music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ryn

More Music

Post by ryn »

I made a possible loyalist victory track. It is purposefully only about 5 seconds, As people probably wouldn't want to listen to a long track anyway. I know I wouldn't. If this is meant to be put at the end of a successful campaign, perhaps I or someone else could come up with a 'credits' track for the rest of the duration. Of course, this is not up to me, and if you think a long track is in order then please excuse my retardedness. Since the ogg extension is not permitted, the file is bzipped and renamed to .zip
Attachments
loyalistWin.ogg.bz2.zip
(112.88 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
2B |! 2B = 3F
scott

Post by scott »

Can't unzip it. Can you double check it?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ryn

Post by ryn »

it is not a zip file. It is a .ogg.bz2 file I renamed to .ogg.bz2.zip
2B |! 2B = 3F
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

delete the .zip ending and then you can unstuff if. I like it, it's sort of a fanfare/trumpet call (reminds me a bit of the Gondor theme from ROTK). Maybe it could be a bit longer, it's a 5 second call and response, but I could see extending it to 7-10 seconds.

Victory Music like this would be especially cool if we had seperate victory and defeat screens, showing stats of the scenario (like in Warcraft/Starcraft games). Then we could have longer win/loss music, I admit that for one dialog box, the fanfare would probably be short.
ryn

Post by ryn »

quartex: thanks for the feedback :) I am still trying to understand what you mean by "response," (apparently the transition in which it seems as though a different person is replying using the same instrument) however, since I seem to have it in my little piece, I won't worry too much. Do you want me to stretch the piece (slow down the music, which seems quite strange in this situation) or do you think I should add a couple of notes? I'm for the second option, but am somewhat unsure on which notes to add and where (probably one in what I percieve as the call and one in the response, probably a quarter or half-note in length) I'd appreciate feedback on this. I'll attach a new edited file soon (hopefully).

PS: Obviously, this is implying that the loyalists are French, because the instrument used is a French horn. I have to admit, I'd prefer this over English loyalists because I dislike the structure of Germanic languages; Not in the least, of course, because I've never learned any Latin based ones, and even more so because I'm not a native English speaker. I hope I'm not offending any hardcore speakers of any Germanic language, but the grammar just seems too complex to be useful. Learn Lojban if you want to know what I'm talking about. No offense to those French, those speaking/learning a Germanic language, or those in or out of between.

edit: see the OT post script.
2B |! 2B = 3F
ryn

Post by ryn »

I made a second version. If anyone thinks this is worth anything (it is very possibly worse than the first) please tell me. Otherwise, I'm open for suggestions. I might get a good idea at some point (I plan to work on this for another 10 minutes or so tonight, getting late) to lengthen what I and quartex called the 'call,' perhaps by lengthening a note. Until then, you'll have to deal with my musical incompetence or come up with something yourself :D

Edit: third version is now on this post
Attachments
loyalistWin3.ogg.zip
third version, not a real zip. You can tell the difference yourself, I apologize for being too tired to write it. To use, rename to loyalistWin3.ogg, then run through player.
(149.36 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
loyalistWin2.ogg.zip
my second (possibly worse than 1st) attempt at a loyalist-win sound. It is a .ogg sound renamed to .zip, so rename it to .ogg before trying to run, don't unzip.
(134.97 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
2B |! 2B = 3F
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Man why do you even zip these files?! I can't unstuff the last ones and the ogg file on the first set wouldn't play... Even if i cahnge the name to .ogg i doesn't play...
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Aleksi wrote:Man why do you even zip these files?! I can't unstuff the last ones and the ogg file on the first set wouldn't play... Even if i cahnge the name to .ogg i doesn't play...
No, you've got it wrong. The file isn't zipped, it's compressed using .bz2. So to unstuff it you have to removed the .zip suffix, which makes the computer realize it's a bz2 compressed file, then open it with a program like stuffit expander. Then you end up with a .ogg audio file. Sure it would be easier if he just zipped his files, but for some reason the only way he can compress them is to make them into .bz2 files.
ryn

Post by ryn »

sorry everyone, I'll post the files zipped properly in about an hour after I do my homework. I didn't have zip last night and since it was late I couldn't think properly.
2B |! 2B = 3F
scott

Post by scott »

why don't you string 2 and 3 together as the basis for a loyalist theme?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ryn

Post by ryn »

Edit: This having been one of my dumbest posts, I had to remove it. Scott's idea was actually the one used for v4, my final (unless someone has a suggestion) Apparently I have a lot more to learn about music :)
Last edited by ryn on December 11th, 2004, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2B |! 2B = 3F
ryn

Post by ryn »

AHA! congratulations, scott. Some of your genius must have permeated my skull. Here are 2 and 3 stringed together with minor modifications around the middle of the track. It really is gzipped, don't rename.

Edit: I managed to mispell genius earlier somehow.
Attachments
loyalistWin4.ogg.gz
a real .ogg.gz
(238.46 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Last edited by ryn on December 11th, 2004, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2B |! 2B = 3F
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sounds nice.
ryn

Post by ryn »

2B |! 2B = 3F
ryn

Post by ryn »

I now also have a repeatable(!) loyalist loss track. It was originally meant to be played by the cello but by accident I heard it through the piano, so now I present you with both :) They are in a gzipped tarball, (you can open it with winzip and others) and also contains the notes used. Suggestions are welcome, and the track does not have to be repeated to sound good. In fact, repeatability was added as an afterthought.
Attachments
Loyalist_Loss.tar.gz
This is a real .tar.gz, unlike my earlier stupid efforts to make something I could upload.
(315.95 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
2B |! 2B = 3F