licensing question

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

battlestar

licensing question

Post by battlestar »

Could anyone help me with a licensing related question for a music piece?

I know that Creative Commons isn't enough to be compatible with Wesnoth, and GPL ver.2 or something like that is required, though as I understand, as long as the author is willing to add "licensed under the terms of the GNU Public License" in his Newground submission description it would be transfered to the GPL licensing.

However, to complicate the matter, it is a remix of another music piece with Standard YouTube License as far as I know. And, though I don't know for sure, I don't think permission was obtained by the remix artist to make and publish the remix. It was not noted on the description of the remix music piece. Maybe I could ask the original musician if that particular remix could be published under GPL along with asking the remix author for the change in licensing?

Thanks
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: licensing question

Post by ancestral »

Battlestar,

It was my understanding that YouTube doesn’t assume any kind of copyrights, but you’ll want to consult with the YouTube license just in case. I believe remixes of original content are generally considered fair use, though it may all depend.

However, I think the bigger question you have is are you allowed to relicense the work as GPL? If you create content that's a remix of something else, and is not infringing the original copyright, you should be in the clear. The best way to ensure whether it’s good or not is to contact the author of the piece directly.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Thank you for your comment, but I'm very confused as to what you are saying about what should be done other than to contact the musician... which I plan to do after clarification for course of action. I doubt that, that musician understood the licensing issues when he remixed the piece.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I’m not sure I follow what you’re doing. Are you trying to distribute someone your work which is based on another work, or distribute someone else’s work?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I'm trying to use a piece of music from Newgrounds in a campaign.