making music - tips + conversations

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dark-X4

making music - tips + conversations

Post by Dark-X4 »

(first time using forum so tell me if i did this right)
anyways i use Linux and logic to make techno and was wondering if anyone had tips i make simple beats but tend to not know what do do after a climb and was wondering what might be good music for a scenario or campaign
If you want any concept art I can help, and if your good at WML I probably want your help...
I program and do some art and recently started WML, my art is nothing compared to this though
also Im good at editing dialouge(i know what is right and can change) but not good at writing from scratch
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: making music - tips + conversations

Post by doofus-01 »

Listen to the tracks in the core/music directory. They are in .ogg format. Does that sound like something you could try? Techno wouldn't really fit, but maybe there are campaigns that could use it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Dark-X4

Post by Dark-X4 »

hmm maybe orchestral techno could work, but would be hard to do, and ill do that i, usually have sound off or music off because I'm playing techno in the background, lol (laugh out loud)
and if anyone wants help doing a drop i could help
If you want any concept art I can help, and if your good at WML I probably want your help...
I program and do some art and recently started WML, my art is nothing compared to this though
also Im good at editing dialouge(i know what is right and can change) but not good at writing from scratch
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Just so you know, techno music, whether orchestral or not, isn't allowed into mainline. It's also highly unreccomended for add-ons, as it causes the game to lose it's feel of being in times past.

P.S. Use the "acronym=" button to describe an acronym. That way if you know what it means you don't need to read it; but if you do you can easily access it.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

TheScribe wrote:It's also highly unreccomended for add-ons, as it causes the game to lose it's feel of being in times past.
Sure, because there are no SciFi or other non-fantasy add-ons ... I'd love to see where that recommendation you're referring to is written down.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I don't know whether you're trying to be sarcastic and saying I don't know what I'm talking about, or whether you're agreeing, but either way I was refering to my own reccomendations, as well as assorted people I know personally. It's written down here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 55#p532684

And no, I haven't seen any SciFi campaigns. If there is one then the music would be fine, but BfW is generally a game set in the past, not in the future. SciFi campaigns are fine, just not common.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Well, the thing is that you are putting your own words as a general rule. If you don't like techno music in Wesnoth campaigns, that's fine. If he wants to create techno music anyway, and somebody likes to use it, that's fine as well. What I don't like is that you are basically saying "you cannot do this".

Regarding SciFi campaigns, there was a very good one on 1.8 by Bob_the_Mighty ("Galactic Empires" or such). I have no idea whether it's been ported, though.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I never said it's a general rule. I just said I highly didn't reccomend it. Sorry if that didn't come across clearly.

So, for clarification purposes: I don't reccomend making techno or any music of that style for BfW. Feel free to do so, I'm not saying you can't. It might even work better if using a futuristic setting. (which I had never seen, but apparently are there)
Dugucloud

Post by Dugucloud »

Techno?! I don't think it works in wesnoth. The Lords of Music seems prefer orchestral soundtrack without any modern elements.
Mi povas paroli Esperanton.