More Choral Music for Wesnoth

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cswiftcomposer

More Choral Music for Wesnoth

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

Although I am not a composer for choral music, at least not a very good one. I think that the use of a chorus is monumentally more enticing than most of the soundtracks (I'm not at all putting down the incredible soundtrack for this game). I just think that more of the use of the chorus as in the style of the track "Revelation" is just over all, the most emotionally fitting for the fantastical nature of the game. I think a very good test for aspiring Wesnoth composers would be their ability to manipulate chorus in their music.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: More Choral Music for Wesnoth

Post by ancestral »

I think the primary challenge is that there aren't many good choral instruments available, unless one is willing to spend near a thousand dollars or more. A chorus is very hard to simulate with computer voices without it sounding very fake or repetitive. The human voice has a plethora of different phonemes at its disposal; computers don't have anywhere near that same access.

With the right high quality instruments you could probably compose something nice... if you can afford it. The alternative would be an actual live chorus (with proper sound recording equipment), though this could be almost equally or more difficult. I think it's for these two reasons you don't see that many Wesnoth tracks with chorus clips (and the ones that do are rather brief).
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Cswiftcomposer

Re: More Choral Music for Wesnoth

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

Yea..ur definately right. I feel though that there are some good choral synthesizers and vsts that don't cost a dime..i know it doesn'tallow for vowels and words singing..but it does have the human voice element to it...(maybe DSK Etherealz, Dsk Choirz, some of the soundfonts too)...just a thought...like just write a few chords..i would say its similar to the (slow strings) patch u find in a lot of sf2 +vst packages, they have beautiful reverb and pure sound to 'em but all the music must be written very slowly otherwise it can't keep up...but you bring up a very true point with a lot of choral writing.