Frantic Replacement

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Frantic Replacement

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

Hey guys!

Been working on a replacement for the old frantic in my spare time for a little while, here's a short demo. Please note it's not complete but it should be enough to get the gist of where I'm taking it. Ideally like to get the track around 3-4 minutes before I submit a complete version.

I'm about to work the original frantic theme in a trombone/trumpet doubling into the section just as the excerpt finishes, (it sounds awesome but I pulled it out because it wasn't 100% complete and I'm really keen for people to let me know what they think so far)

But please let me know what you guys think quality/compositionally wise:
Right Direction?
EDIT: Newer Version Below

Cheers
Last edited by TreizeCouleurs on January 10th, 2012, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Frantic Replacement

Post by doofus-01 »

Hey, it sounds great, I hope you carry it to a final version. But as far as direction, something that the old Frantic has, is the upfront, could-be-a-ticking-countdown. Wesnoth music track already has the impending doom mood, and could probably use more of it, but it's not quite what frantic.ogg is.

Just my take, I hope that makes sense. Looking forward to wherever you take this.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

TreizeCouleurs wrote:But please let me know what you guys think quality/compositionally wise:
Right Direction?
Yes. ^_^

It's not as frantic as the old frantic, but I think that's ok. However, as doofus said, it wouldn't hurt to have, for example, more of some fast snare drumming in the background, or something else to give it more of a frantic panic vibe. But if something like that is not easy to incorporate, then I wouldn't worry about that too much, as it sounds like it'll be a perfectly good direct replacement nevertheless.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Cool! I can't wait for the old frantic to be replaced. This one is much, much better.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the words. Check out the latest version of the track, it's getting pretty close to completion. I'm still thinking about the snare idea which I've really been wanting to implement but unfortunately all the snare samples that I own are pretty poor. But I actually would really really really like to put some in :)

(maybe someone can chime in here with any alternatives to ewql/tonehammer snares -> willing to buy a good percussion library if it has full sounding snares, unfortunately the ones I have at the moment are a little too tinny/matchbox sounding)

I've tried to keep that tense feeling of the original, but break up the monotony a little (nothing but balls to the walls for 2:45 gets boring after a while). I also slotted in the original frantic theme at the end of the track so if this eventually does replace it players wont be missing the admittedly awesome theme (i like it heaps!)

FranticSketchV2.mp3 - 6.2 MB

As always, please hit the thread up with your comments - trust me, constructive criticism is a god send :)
lipk

Post by lipk »

I like this new piece very much, what I'm a bit concerned about is that it's another new addition which has a pretty threatening tone. Wesnoth music is getting darker and darker.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

lipk wrote:I like this new piece very much, what I'm a bit concerned about is that it's another new addition which has a pretty threatening tone. Wesnoth music is getting darker and darker.
Hmm.. I see where you are going with that. Yes this is more serious and less cutesy.

But, who decides the target mood for a scenario or campaign? I think the campaign's author or maintainer decides it, then the music is used to enhance and create that mood. If the campaign author wants you to feel the tension of a frantic battle, then we need that type of music to achieve the correct experience. So, I think the answer is not to make this song less threatening, but to make sure there remains the right variety of music to fit the variety of moods that are needed.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I like it a lot. A bit too much compression on the bass drums/hits though. It's real easy to hear it. I like it other than that. The horns (trumpets I believe) at the end were a little emotionless I would say. I think a cool effect would be like a sfz crescendo. But it depends on the feel you were going for. At least try a vibrato patch.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

The mix on this is very good. Nice and clear. The bass drum rythm is clashing with the rest of the composition at certain points however. Other than that, I would say this one is fine as it is. I would use it, (that is, if I knew how to insert my own .oggs into scenarios).

-=FL=-
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.