Is this song/style suitable for Wesnoth?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chambers

Is this song/style suitable for Wesnoth?

Post by Chambers »

Hello,

I'm hoping to compose some music for Wesnoth. I've recently purchased new recording software (Logic) and am still getting familiar with the production side of things. So any feedback is welcome, and hopefully if this shows any promise at all I can either modify this song (I was thinking of adding a longer calm 'intro', maybe two minutes or so) or I can compose something else and hopefully eventually be able to offer something that can work for Wesnoth.

http://soundcloud.com/chambersmclean/triumpheq

Thanks,
Chambers McLean
GeorgeV

Re: Is this song/style suitable for Wesnoth?

Post by GeorgeV »

Composition wise, it sounds interesting. However, the samples lack expression, and that brass is utterly awful, almost 8bittish. It also lacks some reverb. You will have to keep writing these tracks, and someday you'll get the hang of it.

I'm not a Wesnoth dev, just another musician, but I hope my opinion is useful. Cheers!
Chambers

Post by Chambers »

Thanks George,

I agree with you on the brass. I'm currently working on getting a better brass plug in. Maybe for Christmas... I was trying out some more reverb last night and it sounds like you're right about that as well.

Thanks for the feedback,

Chambers
Chambers

Post by Chambers »

Okay, I added some reverb, and did what I could for the time being with that french horn. I think it's at least a small improvement all around, but I'm still planning on getting some horns with more expression in the near future. Unless somebody knows something about the horns in logic studio 9 that I don't know about; it seems like they have no options for modulation/expression.
Here's the second version of the song:

http://soundcloud.com/chambersmclean/triumpheq1-1

Let me know what you think about the new version, anyone,
Thanks,

Chambers
Chambers

Post by Chambers »

Hi all,

I reread the sample requirements post by Tyler and learned a bit more about what it means and realised I definitely don't yet have Eastwest silver or higher. I assume that's why I haven't gotten a response. Sorry about that. I'm still figuring out what's what in the world of Midi. I plan on getting EWQLSO in the future and I'll keep composing and hopefully have something that works in the future.
Until then I wish everyone well and hope I didn't exasperate anyone,
Cheers,

Chambers