Is my music suitable for Wesnoth?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GeorgeV

Is my music suitable for Wesnoth?

Post by GeorgeV »

Hello guys.

I've been a fan of turn based strategy games all the way back since HOMM 1, and I always thought of writing music for video games. I played Wesnoth for a year or two until version 1.8.4, and I really enjoyed it. Lately I've been too busy to play anything, but I often think about installing Wesnoth again.

Now, for the last two years I've been writing music and designing sound effects for video games. While I'm still waiting for my first title to ship, I scored numerous iOS and Droid games, and I am thinking of writing some songs specifically for Wesnoth. I have written several Orchestral pieces, but I'm not sure my style is what you are looking for. So I'd like to have some of your opinions before I proceed. Here's where you can listen to some of the tracks I was talking about:
http://soundcloud.com/georgevlad/sets/orchestral-50/
I would appreciate any type of critique.

Cheers!
Last edited by GeorgeV on September 9th, 2014, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Is my music suitable for Wesnoth?

Post by zookeeper »

Sounds perfectly suitable stylistically to me. I'd expect that if our Lords of Music (who might take a while to respond, so please be patient) have any further requirements or suggestions, it'd mostly be about sample quality or other technical details.
GeorgeV

Post by GeorgeV »

Thanks, Zookeeper. I hope they won't mind the sample quality, as it is fairly good (I'm using a light Miroslav Philharmonic library). I'm planning on purchasing the East West Symphonic Orchestra, but I need to upgrade my system first, and it will take a while to do all this.

Anyway, this encourages me, and as soon as I get a reasonable amount of spare time I'll get on to writing a piece. I'll also download the latest Wesnoth version to see how the game has evolved. Thanks again, mate.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Tyler's the main man around here these days and I'm not going to try and second guess his opinion. But FWIW, I think you'll have more luck getting some music in the game once you get EWQLSO, given the new sample requirements for the game.

Muscially you have a lot of nice things going on but Miroslav Philharmonik isn't going to cut it I'm afraid. I own it too and I use it for doing sketchups on my lappy when I'm on the go, but it's an old, old library and it simply can't hold a candle to modern stuff like EWQL and VSL (though personally I like it better than GPO). Miroslav simply sounds dated in terms of sound quality and believability and no amount of midi magic will disguise that fact.