Wesnoth 1.9.9 wolf sounds

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tekelili

Wesnoth 1.9.9 wolf sounds

Post by tekelili »

I use to play wesnoth with music off and sounds on.
Making test on 1.9.9 I discovered that I really dislike wolf-hit-1.ogg and wolf-hit-4.ogg.
I dont know enougth english to describe it, just say they almost make my ears hurt :annoyed:
I was watching a replay with acelerated speed x2 with several wolf riders involved in combat, and had to turn sounds off to stop such a painfull expenrience.

Should I send a request about these sounds or it just happens to me?
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
EagleEye

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.9

Post by EagleEye »

Yeah maybe a new sound because I also noticed that. (the word your looking for is ear splitting :eng: )
You can run but you can't hide from my....

-EagleEye
Rigor

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.9

Post by Rigor »

i also dont like the sound of the wolf, it feels like im hurting animals when i defend or kill them. this may not be a problem for others, but i am glad that teke has brought that up. i dont feel too good with this realistic sound of a beaten or sad dog. it would feel much better if he was barking shortly or at least growling when being hit. the same goes for the attack sound. it sounds a bit too feeble in my ears. i mean, its a dangerous wolf with an evil goblin on his back, isnt he?

as for the other changes, good stuff, good job! i liked how you realized the option to shuffle teams a lot and im glad that my idea on github was processed in the end. maybe you know already that the ladder will undergo a big change in the future with a lot of ideas that will enhance the player's game experience. i wanted to ask you for the first time if you considered a cooperation in points of mutual interest, for instance statistics about map/race that could highly increase balance. i imagine it could work with an automatic processing of the replay from the replay server that has a clear information who won or lost the game while playing which faction on what map. of course, for an automatic replay processing there would have to be a function in wesnoth.exe that makes it possible for you to lose/draw during the game with a command or a button, otherwise its an unfinished game that cannot be evaluated (when we actually managed to write a code that can read a victory for one or the other side). i will writer a more detailed github request after positive resonance.
Pewskeepski

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.9 wolf sounds

Post by Pewskeepski »

I use to not like the sounds, but then I got use to them. Personally, I think there are fine the way they are. I mean, they're suppose to sound like dogs getting beat up because they are! (wolves, dogs, whatever) Besides, the sounds are better quality then the ones used in version 1.8 and under.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

I also dislike the wolf sound enough to have removed it from my own installs.

However, it's only wolf-hit-1.ogg that hurts my ears (it literally hurts).
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Oh, can sound files be removed without cause wesnoth crash? :)

I didnt know it, but in that case I guess my complain have an easy solution for each player taste. I will delete mines.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm surprised you would pick this instead of the dark sorceror's recruit sound.
Personally, I think the wolf hit sounds are great.
I hope no animals were harmed in the recording.

Other sounds that could really use improvement IMO:

1) the lobby join sound

2) the [censored]-a-doodle-doo morning sound

Not as bad but still need improvement:

1) human hit sounds

2) dwarf hit sounds
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

tekelili wrote:Oh, can sound files be removed without cause wesnoth crash? :) .
You get a warning in stderr...but yes, no crash.

I like the old wolf sounds more, in case there's a poll or something and a chance it gets reverted. 8)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

tekelili wrote:Oh, can sound files be removed without cause wesnoth crash? :)

I didnt know it, but in that case I guess my complain have an easy solution for each player taste. I will delete mines.
I replaced it with a different file using the same name. You can also edit the CFGs, but this will (probably) cause OOS in MP (see below).

Personally, I think the wolf hit sounds are great.
I agree with that - they are good, but it doesn't matter how good they are if they give you a headache after hearing them just three or four times. Worth noting, I have a minor hearing disorder. This could be a matter of biology.
Last edited by averyimaginativename on October 6th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

IMO the sound is like a squeaky door or squeaky floorboards. There is also very little distinction in different tones of the wolfs' wimped. If it were just a tad deeper it would sons excellent. at this point it hurts my ears.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Even if it did cause an OOS in multiplayer, sounds have nothing to do with the actual gameplay, so you could just ignore it and nothing would happen.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

averyimaginativename wrote:I replaced it with a different file using the same name. You can also edit the CFGs, but this will (probably) cause OOS in MP.
Animation-related blocks are ignored for sync purposes.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
HenryPlainview

Post by HenryPlainview »

Sapient wrote:I'm surprised you would pick this instead of the dark sorceror's recruit sound.
This is slightly off-topic I guess, but what is the deal with that? Nothing else in the campaigns make a sound when recruiting, it's extremely annoying.
2) dwarf hit sounds
I don't know, I guess they don't really sound like a dwarf being hit, but I like the satisfying THUNK of them.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

HenryPlainview wrote:
Sapient wrote:I'm surprised you would pick this instead of the dark sorceror's recruit sound.
This is slightly off-topic I guess, but what is the deal with that? Nothing else in the campaigns make a sound when recruiting, it's extremely annoying.
There seems to be an urge among our artists to introduce new fancy stuff (this one, water animations, standing animations) instead of finishing existing ones (spectre attack animation) which complicate the engine, slow it down and introduce bugs and result quickly in a feature request for an option to turn them specifically off. But who am I to tell them that...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I would agree that the recruit animations are kind of annoying, but the idle/water anims are nice since they break up the unmovingness (can't think of the actual word) of the map. And not that things like the spectre animation shouldn't get done, but really, you don't see spectres very often in wesnoth while you see these animations very frequently.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code