Wesnoth 1.9.9 wolf sounds

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.9 wolf sounds

Post by doofus-01 »

Pentarctagon wrote:but really, you don't see spectres very often in wesnoth while you see these animations very frequently.
I agree with that, but then reach the opposite conclusion. The breathing (heaving?) animations, the recruit animation, and, although a lot of good work went into them, the long & elaborate attack animations of common units are something I notice at first, then they become something between noise and distraction. The wolf sounds have a similar problem, I think they would be more tolerable if they were interspersed in a more subtle sound-list. Or maybe the old sounds.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Pentarctagon wrote: but really, you don't see spectres very often in wesnoth while you see these animations very frequently.
Not true. Of course, if one's only hanging around in multiplayer, but there are several sp campaigns where spectres are the meat of my army and much more frequent than their animated lower levels since ascension stops once they are reached.
Also - please don't confuse standing and idle animations. The idle ones are enough for breaking "unmovingness".
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
HenryPlainview

Post by HenryPlainview »

Pentarctagon wrote:I would agree that the recruit animations are kind of annoying, but the idle/water anims are nice since they break up the unmovingness (can't think of the actual word) of the map. And not that things like the spectre animation shouldn't get done, but really, you don't see spectres very often in wesnoth while you see these animations very frequently.
I don't care about the animations (I play at 3X, I barely see any animations, sorry for wasting your hard work, guys...), I am just staggered that someone thought it was a good idea to play a sound with every single recruit, especially since you tend to do quite a lot of recruiting as undead. And I don't know, I think Spectres show up a fair amount in the campaigns.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

HenryPlainview wrote:I am just staggered that someone thought it was a good idea to play a sound with every single recruit, especially since you tend to do quite a lot of recruiting as undead.
When the Undead recruit Adepts, no sound is made, as they are living and need not be summoned. Now, I do believe that the animation/sound is not a terrible thing, as long as the time it takes to recruit is exactly the same as the time it takes for other factions to recruit.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I actually think it adds a little bit of intensity to hear the liches' magic sound every time he summons a dangerous unit :twisted:
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Pewskeepski wrote:I actually think it adds a little bit of intensity to hear the liches' magic sound every time he summons a dangerous unit :twisted:
Bingo! Elaborate animations for rare, high-level units or for certain conditions when it conveys information[*] would be great. That's not what's happening, unfortunately. So players disable or accelerate the animations because it all takes too long. Or they disable the sound effects.

[*] A near-death spearman or horse heaving would make some sense and would draw the player's attention. A field full of heaving soldiers is objectively not helpful (and looks silly, subjectively, to me at least). The WML exists to change this.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

The female hits sound like they couldn't find a woman to record voices, so they just sped up the male hit sounds.
Founding Father of Columbia