About the new sample requirements

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

About the new sample requirements

Post by West »

I'm not sure how to interpret the new sample requirements. Don't bother unless you have EW, NI or VSL, or what?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: About the new sample requirements

Post by Sapient »

This is only a semi-related comment. I know West put a lot of work into finding free quality samples so it would be a shame if we don't keep at least a link up to it somewhere. Even if the submissions aren't up to the standards for inclusion, it could be a useful stepping stone for people who are just getting interested and just getting started. Afterall, they may go on to contribute to other open source projects not necessarily just Wesnoth. (Trying to look at the bigger picture.)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

I thought about this myself but it appears Tyler has removed the samples from his site (which I have no objections against -- it's his site and he was very kind to host the stuff as long as he did) so linking isn't possible anymore. I'll see what I can do, maybe I can host it myself somehow, if there is interest.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hey West, good to see you back!

For the Free SF2 samples, the site I created ended up getting a lot of traffic and people were downloading them like crazy, and I was getting emails about using them for commercial products. I decided to take them down to prevent any legal action, since I did not post all of the license info on the site, only something like "These soundfonts belong to their respective creators" something like that. If we can get the license info for all of the soundfonts (I know some of them were not 100% public if I remember), I'll put them back up.

As far as the sample requirements, as for mainline, I would like to keep the standard as high as possible, we've been getting a lot of tries from people with low quality samples, and I want to avoid this. Wesnoth has a reputation of having outstanding music, and as technology and sample quality advances, we should advance with it.