Battle music (2 pieces)

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

soundandfury

Battle music (2 pieces)

Post by soundandfury »

So I decided to write something more suited to a battle scene, and produced this:
A Call To Arms; a martial overture which quotes from the main-menu leitmotif and the 'village dance' theme from my Upon Green Hills. There's a slight issue in that a poor snare sample interacts badly with the reverb, but the limitations of the software I'm using make it difficult to deal with that (unless I kill the verb entirely on the percussion track, which sounds unrealistic as hell).

I also thought it odd that there's no piece specifically for fights against undead (of which most campaigns have several), so I wrote one:
Skeleton Dance. It uses a motivic fragment from West's Legends of the North, but it might not be all that recognisable as almost the entire piece is in 13/8 time (usually divided as 3+3+2+2+3). Odd instruments here are soprano sax and xylophone (the latter meant to represent the skeletons); also, there are no strings! Another technical issue; for some reason MuseScore won't apply any dynamics to the percussion track; I might have to re-do the mix in two parts so I can deal with it.

Reactions please.
Just another C hacker.
Try Era of Music!
Ewing

Re: Battle music (2 pieces)

Post by Ewing »

Hi,

I think you've got some good musical ideas. I have just a few comments...
soundandfury wrote:So I decided to write something more suited to a battle scene, and produced this:
A Call To Arms; a martial overture which quotes from the main-menu leitmotif and the 'village dance' theme from my Upon Green Hills.
This feels much more like a 6/8 dance to me than battle music, fwiw. I listened before truly reading what you wrote here, so seeing that you've used portions of a dance theme might explain why I felt that.
soundandfury wrote:There's a slight issue in that a poor snare sample interacts badly with the reverb, but the limitations of the software I'm using make it difficult to deal with that
The snare has the infamous machine gun effect, which sucks all realism out of not only the percussion, but large parts of the track as a whole. Have you looked through the free sf2 post in the stickies, yet? I'm pretty sure there are lots of better percussion options that have been put together by West.
Perhaps your software limitation is that you can't use sf2?

soundandfury wrote:I also thought it odd that there's no piece specifically for fights against undead (of which most campaigns have several), so I wrote one:
Skeleton Dance. It uses a motivic fragment from West's Legends of the North, but it might not be all that recognisable as almost the entire piece is in 13/8 time (usually divided as 3+3+2+2+3).
I think this is a very interesting idea. My first impression is that this track has too much reverb overall, and it tends to get too muddled.
soundandfury wrote:Odd instruments here are soprano sax and xylophone (the latter meant to represent the skeletons); also, there are no strings! Another technical issue; for some reason MuseScore won't apply any dynamics to the percussion track; I might have to re-do the mix in two parts so I can deal with it.
The snare is again a sore thumb on this one. If that can't be fixed, I would honestly just leave it out completely.

Keep it up!
-blake
soundandfury

Post by soundandfury »

Ewing wrote:The snare has the infamous machine gun effect, which sucks all realism out of not only the percussion, but large parts of the track as a whole. Have you looked through the free sf2 post in the stickies, yet? I'm pretty sure there are lots of better percussion options that have been put together by West.
Perhaps your software limitation is that you can't use sf2?
Pretty much. The software I'm using is MuseScore, which is really meant more for notation than sequencing, and doesn't give a great deal of flexibility. You pick one soundfont (in sf2 format) and it uses that for all the parts. If you want to tweak individual parts, you basically have to separate them out and record them separately, which is quite a lot of work. However, if it's worth the effort (if the music is good enough to justify it), it is possible in theory.
Ewing wrote:I think this is a very interesting idea. My first impression is that this track has too much reverb overall, and it tends to get too muddled.
The snare is again a sore thumb on this one. If that can't be fixed, I would honestly just leave it out completely.
In this case there are musical reasons why I want the snare in, so I'll see if I can de-machine-gun it, tone down the reverb a little, and repost.

Edit: An improved version of Skeleton Dance, using a G-Town Snare sample from freesf2 (and with the volume and verb nerfed on the snare track): http://jttlov.no-ip.org/music/sd3b.ogg. Getting MuseScore to record it separately from the rest was a *nightmare*. It's still a little bit machine-gunny (particularly near the start where it's at its loudest), but it doesn't stick out nearly so much now, and it acts as a highlight like it's supposed to.

Edit2: A somewhat less improved version of A Call To Arms; I didn't bother to split out the snare part so I could record with a different sample, as there was a lot of it; instead I just chopped down the reverb on that track, making it a bit more reasonable-sounding than the previous version. http://jttlov.no-ip.org/music/acta3.ogg. This also adds the problem that the other perc parts (cymbal and bass drum) have been de-verbed too, which is not ideal. However, it should be listenable now without the jarring machine-gun snare.

Thanks for your comments :)
Just another C hacker.
Try Era of Music!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I post here to say that I like your idea with Skeleton Dance. The newer version is indeed an improvement, though it is still a bit ... muddled (? - It could use some more variation in volume?). I hope you stick with it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
bobbachy

Post by bobbachy »

I like the ideas that you have, although I would have to agree with the comment about the Call to Arms sounding too much like a dance. I like the melody, but it doesn't vary a whole lot. Maybe play with rhythms or dynamics a little so it sound more like I battle and less like a dance? The link to the updated version of the skeleton dance wasn't working for me for some reason, but I think that the improvements that you say you have made would be very good. The drum did stick out a little too much. Again, since I haven't listened to the I can't say a whole lot. I like the 13/8 time idea, it adds some chaos (for lack of a better word) to the music, but the reverb plus the odd counting sort of blend together and it is/was difficult to make sense of the music at some points. I do like what you have though! Good work.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hi soundandfury, if you're thinking of composing for mainline, you'll definitely need better samples. I would hesitate to add anything that was sub EWQL Silver Edition, and trust me, you can squeeze a lot out of that library. I composed Casualties of War and Into the Shadows using the EWQL Library, and for $120 it's not a bad deal at all!
soundandfury

Post by soundandfury »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Hi soundandfury, if you're thinking of composing for mainline, you'll definitely need better samples. I would hesitate to add anything that was sub EWQL Silver Edition, and trust me, you can squeeze a lot out of that library. I composed Casualties of War and Into the Shadows using the EWQL Library, and for $120 it's not a bad deal at all!
In that case, I have two questions:
  1. Are my compositions good enough musically for it to be worth my while investing in good samples? (That is, if I remastered the same compositions with EWQL or a similar-quality sample library, would they be likely to be accepted into mainline?)
  2. Do such paid-for sample libraries play with free software? I'm too much of a rabid opensource freetard to use closed-source software. I'd presume the samples come in sf2 format, in which case there should be no problem, but I wouldn't want to spend $120 (which, as I'm in UK, probably actually means more like £120) on some samples only to find that I couldn't use them.
If either of the answers is "no", then I'm perfectly happy to just aim for UMC standard. Alternatively, if the answers were 1.yes 2.no, and someone with good samples were willing to make the effort of mastering, I'd be happy to publish scores in musescore or lilypond format. I realise though that the effort that mastering involves is considerable, and it's not something I'd 'expect' people to be willing to do.

[edit]reading EWQL's site, I see that their EULA is completely fscked-up in that they forbid using the samples "in isolation" and then attempt to define something that they really can't make a bright-line test for. Also, having only just noticed the recent "Info. Regarding Sample Requirements" post, I'm starting to strongly doubt whether there is an opensource toolchain that does what you want.[/edit]
Just another C hacker.
Try Era of Music!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

I just listened to "A call to arms".
It is great, just lovely to listen to.
Can't see forward to a version which features better sound samples to hear.