Into the Land of Madness

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Into the Land of Madness

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I'm working on new battle/action music for the game. I've got about 2 minutes done so far, and it can be heard here:

Into the Land of Madness

It's a working title, and I'll change it when it's completed to be more suitable to the game, but it's just a start.

And by the way, I'm still working on Enchanted Forest if anyone was wondering. That one will be done soon as well.

-Tyler
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Into the Land of Madness

Post by zookeeper »

Sounds good!

...I guess I don't have anything else to say, really.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sounds great! The only thing that I can find to criticize is the church bell - it sounds like you need a better sample for that, though the idea to use it was good. I look forward to hearing how this turns out.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Yeah, that's an orchestral chime. I'll probably end up dropping the velocity on it, and layering with a mellow glock for a more muffled soft sound rather than a harsh "church bell" as you said.
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Wow!!

This is beyond superb :shock: Really amazing orchestration... and backed up by fabulous mixing (VSL I presume?). The style you've aimed for in the last few compositions I've heard I've really gone for, especially using strings to bridge transitions.

The violin did sound ever so slightly odd from 0:55-1:04 - sounds like the sample was chopped in half before every next note.
That snare roll at 1:16 seemed a little loud and seemed to disrupt the flow a little, maybe have just triplets or just a quieter velocity?

I can hardly wait to see this develop - looking forward to top notch music from you (no pressure!) :p
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hey CheeseLord, thanks for the comments.

Yeah, I know about the snare. I guess I was just too lazy to fix it before I bounced this :)

The strings still need some work as well.

As far as mixing, I just used some mastering plugins, and some really great reverb.

I used EWQL and VSL in this piece, and some Stormdrums for the percussion.