Where are the Music Lords??

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CheeseLord

Where are the Music Lords??

Post by CheeseLord »

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering where all the Music Lords have popped off too in the last month or two? Are they gone, are they on a hiatus, in the middle of hibernation, or busy in real life?

The main reason I'm asking is that there seems to be little or no activity by them for a long while now. Rain, Timothy P., Aleski are long gone, but what's more worrying is the absence of West and Tyler J . Just to number crunch:

Last post by West: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:39 pm
Last post by Tyler J: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:33 pm

BUT commenting outside his 'Enchanted Forest' thread it's Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:03 pm

That means the last time they've critiqued was was over a month ago.

I'm just mainly wondering if someone posted something good, how long would it take for a reply from a Music Lord? I know West will probably be looking after his kid, and Tyler will be busy composing (or still on the cruise ship, I can't remember :oops: ) but anyhow, who would be able to authorise the piece into mainline? The potential problem is having perfectly capable composers turn away because of the lack of official response. Maybe stuff like this has happened before, though I always remember at least one Music Lord regularly around to help out and dish out critique. But any chance of a friendly wave from the upper echelon and clarification?? :D

All the best,

CheeseLord
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
PeterPorty
Translator

Re: Where are the Music Lords??

Post by PeterPorty »

One month is not that much. Just relax, mate. They'll get back eventually, and if they don't (Which I doubt.), there will be someone else.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Due to real life busy schedules of all the current music lords, there will probably be delays with accepting submissions for a while. They are still alive, just busy. You can try sending them a private message if something comes up that is so urgent that it can't wait, but I don't think there is anything that urgent going on. I hope that answers your question. A more official response may be forthcoming, or not. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hi Cheeselord, thank you for the concern.

I actively check the boards, sometimes not logged in. I AM still working on a cruise ship, and will be until July. I have a lot of things lined up after that, and I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to contribute to the forum.

Personally, I don't know how to contribute to mainline, I always left that for West. He does his .ogg encoding and ships the final product off to the dev's as far as I know.

As well, I would always like to get another LoM's opinion before submitting something.

But to be honest, there isn't a lot that could be improved upon musically. I believe Northerners was recently updated, Sad was recently updated, maybe Frantic could be updated. But other than that, we're not really in the need for new, different music.

EDIT : I have downloaded Final.mp3 and Batallions.mp3 and will review these and post thoughts later.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Tyler Johnson wrote:But to be honest, there isn't a lot that could be improved upon musically. I believe Northerners was recently updated, Sad was recently updated, maybe Frantic could be updated. But other than that, we're not really in the need for new, different music.
I think "Loyalists" could stand to be updated or replaced as well.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Hehe, red bold text is officious enough for me :D

Thanks for the quick replies. I must say I feel kinda like a busybody, and I agree with you PeterPorty that the chances are they'll be back. As I said, the thing I'd be worried about is a chain of inactivity. Glad to see it's not the case and everything's alive and kicking! ;)

I also wholeheartedly appreciate that everybody has a life outside the forums to attend to (well, I hope at least :geek: ) and logging off for long periods can't be helped (in the last few months I've had to drop off the mod team over at YC) , it was mainly just to try to confirm that if something good arrives, it can be packaged and encoded in a reasonable period of time.
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

These were also some songs that were submitted and yet were never committed or rejected.
Here and here.
doofus-01 wrote:I think "Loyalists" could stand to be updated or replaced as well.
I believe West said something about updating "Loyalists" somewhere...
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Ewing

Post by Ewing »

Telaron wrote:These were also some songs that were submitted and yet were never committed or rejected.
Here and here.
Thanks for bringing these up Telaron!

And just fyi, I am planning on posting links to the full quality .wav of each of these on their respective threads soon. No further changes, but just so they are ready for .ogg conversion if the LoM decide to use.

[EDIT: I've uploaded the full quality versions and the links are available on the above linked threads now.]
Last edited by Ewing on January 14th, 2011, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

No problem, hope they get committed. ^_^
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Due to personal matters and commitments in other projects I won't have time to work on anything Wesnoth-related within the forseeable future. Maybe I'll be back, maybe not. I simply don't know. I notified the other admins about this a while back, but I didn't want to announce it publicly. Still, maybe it's only fair to let you all know.