Ambient music?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheDreamer

Ambient music?

Post by TheDreamer »

Hello guys, I was wondering speaking of genres...
Is orchestral-like music the only critically supported genre on the boards?

I'm asking this because I made some brief Ambient loops a while ago and I'd like to share them with the people. I'm not here to advertise myself, of course, I just wish to contribute somehow. They're basically eight, and I currently have the wav files. If this goes well, I could convert them in ogg format which - as far as I understood - is the one that Wesnoth fully supports.

If you want to listen to them, do I have to put a download link (I use mediafire for large downloads) or make a Youtube video with the 8 loops? Which do you prefer?
The Dreamer (a.k.a. KK Slider, KKSlider60)
Author of "Minimalist Era" and "Royal Stickmen" (WIP).
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Ambient music?

Post by doofus-01 »

A download link is what people usually use. Small (less than 1MB?) .wav files are OK, I think. Certainly to link to.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

For mainline, orchestral music in the classical/romantic style is what we're looking for.

As far as player made campaigns, I know there is a space-themed campaign floating around somewhere which might use ambient music. Usually campaign devs will post here asking for certain styles if it's other than mainline music.
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

doofus-01 wrote:A download link is what people usually use. Small (less than 1MB?) .wav files are OK, I think. Certainly to link to.
I converted all 8 loops in .ogg vorbis format at 192kbps quality. The zipped file containing the loops is about 8Mb and can be downloaded here.
Each track weights 1Mb, more or less.
Tyler Johnson wrote:For mainline, orchestral music in the classical/romantic style is what we're looking for.

As far as player made campaigns, I know there is a space-themed campaign floating around somewhere which might use ambient music. Usually campaign devs will post here asking for certain styles if it's other than mainline music.
Interesting. Is that the Space Era you're referring to?
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

TheDreamer wrote:Is that the Space Era you're referring to?
Well, I can't speak for Tyler, but the only working space themed campaign I know of is The War of Terrador.

BTW, cool ambiences.8) What software did you use to compose them?
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

Telaron wrote:
TheDreamer wrote:Is that the Space Era you're referring to?
Well, I can't speak for Tyler, but the only working space themed campaign I know of is The War of Terrador.

BTW, cool ambiences.8) What software did you use to compose them?
Thanks mate ^^ I use Reason 4 for... everything that comes in my mind. xD

Anyway, I think I'll check out that campaign and give it a closer look.

I made a couple of songs, some months ago, incorporating orchestral elements with a very laidback, almost meditative atmosphere. Heavily inspired by Vincent Diamante's soundtracks (the OST maker of the games "Flow", "Flower" and "Cloud").
This is called "Layers of Harmony", actually the demo version, produced in the last months.
This was also my very first effort in making orchestral-like music, "Breeze", produced in Jan 30, 2010. I musically grew up a lot since then.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Layers of Harmony is quite nice. It has the birds in the background which adds a nice atmospheric touch to this piece. The piano chords gives a 'grand' feel to song and makes it rather dramatic even though it isn't a high action piece. :D

I have to say, I was fooled in the beginning of Breeze. I thought it was just an ambience for a while there. Then the piano. I play piano and I love this kind of music. Really good job! I can appreciate the time you it must have taken you to put five minutes of this together. The strings add a nice flavor to the overall piece.

Really great work, man.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

Thank you for your quick review :'D
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

War of terrador is the only working campaign, but there are several scenarios for space.
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

I've been in contact with Dragonchampion for a while, he's the TWOT author. Who knows, maybe I'll put something new to Wesnoth's already epic sound. :)
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

Double post :augh:

This is not Ambient at all, but I found it very unique and... weird. Something I've never done before, completely experimental for me.
Stream'd here
It's entitled "Untitled". XD I know, I suck at giving titles...

What do you guys think?