Asking for early evaluation

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Parduz

Asking for early evaluation

Post by Parduz »

Hi to all. I'm italian, so pls sorry my bad english.

I'd like to submit some little pieces to your evaluation as I'd like to contribute to the music of Wesnoth.
These are short (<2 minutes) pieces that was composed for a pc game project that it is now abandoned, so they never appeared anywhere.
They was meant to be played at certain "events" (entering a town, hero dead, etc), not to be the score of the game, this is why they are so short.
More, they are in the "early stage": i mean that me and the game programmer was just trying to evaluate the composition, so the mixing is almost inexistent (i have just throw a reverb in the main output, no panning or other adjustement).

What i'd like to know is if the "style" can fit in the game. If you don't like how i compose, there's no reason to work on them anymore. If you think they may have some place, then i can make them more long, and start to learn how to mix them (but i will really need some help: i have read the interesting post here, but i have no experience as sound mastering, and also i have not the right gears to make a good mixing -my speakers adds a lot of color to the sound, and both my two earphones are unable to give me how basses sounds in reality-).

These are the pieces, and the scope they should have got in that dead game project:
BattleLoop
Meant to be looped during battles.

Elfs
It should have been played when the hero enters in the Elf capital. The flute sample have some looping glitch on certain notes, it should be changed.

HeroDead
well... played when the hero die

Peacefull
Played in some nice, calm environment.

Victory
Played at the end of a battle, if you win. Generally, all samples have a too much slow attack, that really need to be fixed.

War&Glory
It was just an idea. No specific role was defined.

Waiting for your evaluation.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Asking for early evaluation

Post by ancestral »

Your music isn't bad. Sounds like you put a good deal of work into it. Sorry your project folded — it's always disappointing when things that like happen (and it's another reason why people contribute to Wesnoth!)

Unfortunately, Wesnoth isn't looking for short looping pieces; on the contrary, the project is looking for pieces anywhere from about 3 minutes up (I seem to recall hearing that 5 minutes being ideal at one point?) I don't speak for the music lords, but I don't think any of these pieces are going to work, if anything, due to their short length.

Wesnoth has a very distinct feel to it, and this music is pretty close. I'd be curious to see what you can come up composing a longer piece, or taking one of these segments and expanding it.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Parduz

Re: Asking for early evaluation

Post by Parduz »

Thanks for your reply :)
ancestral wrote:Your music isn't bad. Sounds like you put a good deal of work into it. Sorry your project folded — it's always disappointing when things that like happen (and it's another reason why people contribute to Wesnoth!)
Glad it does not makes you switch off instantly :)
About the project, it was'nt so bad. My only involvement was for the music... the programmer has lost much more time. More, it was funny to try a very different genre... i may listen almost any music genre, but classical music usually makes me really nervous and anxious (the only kind of "classical" music i like are some soundtracks, "Conan the barbarian" is my preferred) so i'm not very fond in it.
ancestral wrote:Unfortunately, Wesnoth isn't looking for short looping pieces; on the contrary, the project is looking for pieces anywhere from about 3 minutes up (I seem to recall hearing that 5 minutes being ideal at one point?) I don't speak for the music lords, but I don't think any of these pieces are going to work, if anything, due to their short length.
Yes, i know this.....
ancestral wrote:Wesnoth has a very distinct feel to it, and this music is pretty close. I'd be curious to see what you can come up composing a longer piece, or taking one of these segments and expanding it.
...but this was what i was asking for. If my "style" can fit, i'll keep working on them, making them longer and trying to make them sounds better. Otherwise i'll throw them in a backup disk and let them collect digital dust :)