Suggestion/query: SFX for things currently in dialogue

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Simons Mith

Suggestion/query: SFX for things currently in dialogue

Post by Simons Mith »

As part of a correcting-Wesnoth-typography project I've been going through a lot of the campaign dialogue very closely. In doing so, I've noticed a few things:

Malifor the lich is a cheerful sort. One of his favorite lines is 'HAHAHAHAHA!', and variants thereon.
A lot of major characters really go for it when they die: "AAIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHEE!!!!" and the like.
There is some atmospheric chanting going on in Delfador's Memoirs, and currently the narrator has to do it.
There are also doors that need to be smashed open here and there, gates that need to creak open dramatically, running water, echoey running, er, mostly-water in the sewers of Southbay, and so on.

It would be nice if sound effects were available for some of this stuff, rather than scenario authors having to transcribe it. (Or just ignore it altogether, as often happens.) Fragments of chamber music for court scenes. The creaking of a ship's timbers. Waves crashing on a beach. Angry crowds, sound effects for spells, magic items, and the drinking of refreshing holy water. Sometimes the in-game effects could be used, but they're often intentionally short or muted so that they don't become intrusive. I don't think scripted sound effects would have to be so constrained.

I don't know if anyone's considered providing sound effects for this sort of stuff, but I'm sure it would be used if it was available. It would aso help address some of the cheesier bits of Wesnoth dialogue. I do cringe a bit when I see yet another leader dying with a cry of "AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!"; if that's all he's going to say, why don't we just have a library of over-the-top or custom death screams as OGGs and use them instead? We already have macros for earthquakes, rumbles of thunder etc., so I assume death screams could be plumbed in equally easily. Delfador's Memoirs, Under the Burning Suns and Northern Rebirth seem to be good places to look for initial inspiration.

SFX aren't my area, but if this sort of thing is easy to provide, could you guys look into it? Thx.

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Suggestion/query: SFX for things currently in dialogue

Post by doofus-01 »

Can the Wilhelm Scream be used?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Suggestion/query: SFX for things currently in dialogue

Post by zookeeper »

Sure, nothing wrong with having all that. However, we don't have active sfx people at the moment since I've really mostly been doing other things for the past couple of years. If/when I get back to doing sounds, I'll try to keep this kind of stuff in mind.