A new song

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

marcusvinicius

A new song

Post by marcusvinicius »

I started it today, it's a little rude and the samples are bad but I think It has the feeling of the game and so....
Here is a glimpse
Don't expect something good, It's just what I can make with my knowledge.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
PPH

Re: A new song

Post by PPH »

Not bad, though there isn't much to judge. As you said this is a glimpse, I assume this is a passage of a larger piece. I dislike the chimes in the beginning, but that might be because, in general, I dislike such chimes, i.e. I can't thing of many cases in which I'd advise someone to use them.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Listen to the music
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Not bad at all marcusvinicius. The melody reminded me a bit of Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't have too much time on my hands at the moment, but I'll take time later and listen to it in depth so I can give you a better opinion. :D
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Nice composition, I can't find anything particular to say about it besides that it is a bit short :) I like it.

I'm not sure if the powers that be would agree, though, but I think there may be a bit too much reverb? Also, there's something I don't like in your horn and violins samples... Especially the violins attacks in the first part, sound a bit... I dunno. Fake? Midi? (listening to it again, maybe it's not so bad) And the horns don't really sound metallic/blasted enough... I know this isn't clear, sorry :?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Thanks for the coments, my plan is do one measure per week so I'll finish this piece in about 3 years and each week I post a new update to you :lol2: ( maybe it is serious).
Dixie wrote:Nice composition, I can't find anything particular to say about it besides that it is a bit short :) I like it.

I'm not sure if the powers that be would agree, though, but I think there may be a bit too much reverb? Also, there's something I don't like in your horn and violins samples... Especially the violins attacks in the first part, sound a bit... I dunno. Fake? Midi? (listening to it again, maybe it's not so bad) And the horns don't really sound metallic/blasted enough... I know this isn't clear, sorry :?
I think it's the combination strings + wood-wind, because the wood-wind samples from Edirol are realy very bad but strings are fair. About the horns I wanted they to sound more dark, not so metallic, so the short horns counter melody are togheter with the flute and clarinet. Actually in Edirol those orchestration rules seems to have almost no big effect, because it's a synth vsti so I do what I can Do. Thanks for the comments
Listen to the music
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Not bad at all, but as you say the samples leave a lot to be desired. The woodwinds sound like square waves and not much like real instruments at all. The staccato strings are very mechanical-sounding (which is of course unavoidable as Edirol Orchestral has neither velocity layers or RR sampling IIRC).

I have to say the chord progression feels sort of trite, like something plucked out of a 1980's movie but with strings and winds and brass instead of synths. Whether this is good or bad is a matter of taste, but I would be careful with using clichéd progressions like that unless you're going for a sort of campy Top Gun/Rocky IV feel.

Not much more to comment on as it's so short.
marcusvinicius wrote:Actually in Edirol those orchestration rules seems to have almost no big effect, because it's a synth vsti so I do what I can Do. Thanks for the comments
A rompler actually, as it does use samples, but I know what you mean. EO has some good stuff but overall it's very thin and synthy-sounding.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

West wrote:Not bad at all, but as you say the samples leave a lot to be desired. The woodwinds sound like square waves and not much like real instruments at all. The staccato strings are very mechanical-sounding (which is of course unavoidable as Edirol Orchestral has neither velocity layers or RR sampling IIRC).
To be honest I heard a good piece with those spizi strings. Concerning Hobbits from Scott Buckley is realy amazing.
PS.: Actually that guy, Scott, He has the biggest know-how about edirol orchestral that I've noticed and great orchestration skills as well.
West wrote:I have to say the chord progression feels sort of trite, like something plucked out of a 1980's movie but with strings and winds and brass instead of synths. Whether this is good or bad is a matter of taste, but I would be careful with using clichéd progressions like that unless you're going for a sort of campy Top Gun/Rocky IV feel.
May you're talking about C#m - B - E^7M - B - A - B progression. Actually I'm trying to do something like a battle piece and "Rocky" music is a great influence and marching band music as well. Is it bad? Should I do something more traditional?
Listen to the music
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Hehe TBH, from what I've heard, I'd say the free samples from freesf2 outmatch Edirol ;)

But as for the piece, the others have got there before me. I really like the lively, exciting atmosphere you've set up. If you want a slightly darker, standard film-like setup, it could be worth having some lower brass combined with some lower strings to beef up the whole thing (I find that tends to work well in my compositions). At 0:10, for example, to double that viola like instrument with a lower cello line could work really effectively.

In regards to the staccato strings, most non-pro libraries in general that don't have round robin will need lots of volume tweaking + mixing to get any sort of realism. Even with the piece you highlightes, you can see the amount of detailed sequencing, yet in my ears, you can still detect the mechanicalness at the first section (though that piece I agree is still really nice ;) )

I really enjoyed that little flute twinkle at 0:14, and overall in terms of musicality, I think you're onto something. I'd really recommend that you heavily use the freebies at freesf2 to get the best out of what you have though. The best result would probably use half of each, playing to their strengths, like freebies for woodwind + brass and Edirol for strings (Note that that isn't any sort of guidance, I'm just throwing out a random setup) but yeah, mix and match for the best in both!!
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

CheeseLord wrote:Hehe TBH, from what I've heard, I'd say the free samples from freesf2 outmatch Edirol ;)

But as for the piece, the others have got there before me. I really like the lively, exciting atmosphere you've set up. If you want a slightly darker, standard film-like setup, it could be worth having some lower brass combined with some lower strings to beef up the whole thing (I find that tends to work well in my compositions). At 0:10, for example, to double that viola like instrument with a lower cello line could work really effectively.

In regards to the staccato strings, most non-pro libraries in general that don't have round robin will need lots of volume tweaking + mixing to get any sort of realism. Even with the piece you highlightes, you can see the amount of detailed sequencing, yet in my ears, you can still detect the mechanicalness at the first section (though that piece I agree is still really nice ;) )

I really enjoyed that little flute twinkle at 0:14, and overall in terms of musicality, I think you're onto something. I'd really recommend that you heavily use the freebies at freesf2 to get the best out of what you have though. The best result would probably use half of each, playing to their strengths, like freebies for woodwind + brass and Edirol for strings (Note that that isn't any sort of guidance, I'm just throwing out a random setup) but yeah, mix and match for the best in both!!
Thanks. I decided use only freebies samples, the problem is: they don't mix well, so I'm having a hard work.
Listen to the music
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

I'm here again! :) I figure that the piece is not suitable for the game so I think It's better to start another piece. Just waiting the feedbacks...

*Update 27/09
Listen to the music
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

another update, actually I did it at morning and I think the music is now like a mix of various moods and styles, I should wrote the main music phrases before start the orchestration :annoyed: .
Any suggestions are welcome, adios!
Listen to the music
Mica

Post by Mica »

To be honest, it's great. Although around 2:40 feels out of place... and it doesn't feel Wesnoth-ish (if that's even what you're going for). It feels like at around 2:40 there's a new piece. I don't know, maybe it's just me. It IS good though.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Mica
Thanks. Actually it's not you. I use to write the main passages of the song before start the arrangement but in this case I did everything at the same time and as I have no experience in that work-flow I just took the wrong path. :cry:
Life is that you live and learn everyday. I'll take a deep listen and cut some parts.
Listen to the music
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

what do you think about this piece. Do you think it's boring?
Listen to the music