MP3? Or Just OGG

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Re: MP3? Or Just OGG

Post by Dixie »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:But we're talking about user-made maps. Just custom maps made in the map editor and saved, then played in MP. Even if you don't touch the file outside of the map editor, those maps will still have ToD and music when you play them. So it must automatically put that stuff in user-made maps.... right? :hmm:
Hmm... yes, yes, you are probably right: if you don't create a scenario to go with the map, it preobably uses a default predefined one from somewhere. But if you create a scenario and omit schedule or music or whatever, I'm fairly certain there will be none (at least for schedules: I forgot to include in the first versions of Paintball Era, and the game just had no schedule. I'd guess the same goes for music and a bunch of other stuff.)

Anyway, enough off-topicness already :P
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I'd still listen to wesnoth's music. It beats anything else I've got on my computer any day.
I'm glad to hear that :)

On a related note, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of jukebox function in the game. I.e. an interface that lets you create (and maybe even save/load) custom playlists. Age of Wonders had something like this and it was very neat, especially for long scenarios when you got sick of hearing the same three songs over and over. You could just open the jukebox and add more tracks, or remove the current selection and add new ones.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

My only qualm about that, as a campaign-designer/writer/coder is that I often use the music to flavor the scenario, or change it mid-scenario to add some background to that particular section of dialog, and I wouldn't want the user just going in and playing different music.
Perhaps if there was some way for it be allowed/disabled per scenario through WML... :hmm:

But that would be cool for MP, where it usually does little more than just go through the default playlist.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:My only qualm about that, as a campaign-designer/writer/coder is that I often use the music to flavor the scenario, or change it mid-scenario to add some background to that particular section of dialog, and I wouldn't want the user just going in and playing different music.
Perhaps if there was some way for it be allowed/disabled per scenario through WML... :hmm:
Yeah, I know that would be a problem. But maybe the dialogs and other scripted events could be set to always override any custom playlists. I dunno, just speculating.
aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

That's a very good point. did'nt think of that.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

shadowmaster wrote:Wesnoth supports whatever your SDL_Mixer build supports.
According to the SDL_Mixer documentation :
SDL_Mixer documentation wrote:SDL_mixer supports playing music and sound samples from the following formats:
- WAVE/RIFF (.wav)
- AIFF (.aiff)
- VOC (.voc)
- MOD (.mod .xm .s3m .669 .it .med and more) requiring libmikmod on system
- MIDI (.mid) using timidity or native midi hardware
- OggVorbis (.ogg) requiring ogg/vorbis libraries on system
- MP3 (.mp3) requiring SMPEG or MAD library on system
- FLAC (.flac) requiring the FLAC library on system - also any command-line player, which is not mixed by SDL_mixer...
So if your SDL_Mixer is built with MP3 support, Wesnoth will be able to play MP3 (but only for music, not for sound effects).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Good, someone got my hint. ;)

However, the only feature that is strictly required by Wesnoth's build recipes is Ogg Vorbis support. The rest are usually optional, and MP3 in particular is not enabled by default by some system distributors due to patent issues which may restrict distribution of MP3 implementation code in some countries or some nonsense like that. MIDI support also tends to cause problems since TiMidity++ isn't always properly configured or available, and you seldom see sound cards with a built-in MIDI wave synthesizer nowadays — in particular, the increasingly popular onboard sound controllers don't have this capability.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.