A ( crazy ??? ) idea

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheMadMan

A ( crazy ??? ) idea

Post by TheMadMan »

Hey everyone,

I'm new here in the Forum but have played Wesnoth a lot an was fascinated about the music. ( I'm a soundtrack geek in general with films and games )
So gettin here I saw this topic allowing users to participate in the acoustic world of Wesnoth and had an idea.

As i'm playing the cello I had an idea to make a piece with some different cello lines ( 2 to 6 sth ) which could be recorded and overlaped later.

Before I'd start anything I wanted to ask if the idea, if executed correctly, would even be considered as ok or as unproper to the game.

Hope the idea came out correctly ;)

PS.: Sorry for the mediocre English, its a foreign language :roll:
PeterPorty
Translator

Re: A ( crazy ??? ) idea

Post by PeterPorty »

I'd say create your piece, and ask if it is ok. I know almost nothing about music, but I think you should do it, and theen ask if it is appropiate... it is hard to tell before.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

You might be interested in the Music Contributions FAQ.

I am in no position of authority in the music department, but I will say that I think your chances of getting a piece of music with only one instrument playing the entire song are very slim. As stated in the above link, the project is looking for specifically orchestral music, not solo pieces.

Hope that helps. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
boru

Post by boru »

I encourage you to go ahead, record your piece and share it. Even if it's deemed unfit for mainline, one of the dozens of UMC developers may be interested.

Also, the criticism you'll get from the composers here might be very valuable to you in the long run.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hi TheMadMan and welcome to the forums.

To be honest, this idea is not like anything we've had submitted to Wesnoth, but as the others said, I think the best idea would be to create the piece, and submit it and see what we think.

The closest piece I can think of that we have is underground.ogg, but the composer utilized choirs to break up the monotony of the piece.

I'm just not sure that a solo cello, layered or not, would convey the type of mood we're looking for.