Telaron's Never-Ending Medley

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Telaron

Re: Telaron's Workshop

Post by Telaron »

Been rather busy lately. Here's one of my fairly recent songs...
Epic Race
Enjoy. :D
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

This is my most recent composition. Over the last few months, I've been working on improving my skills and I believe that I have made some progress. Enjoy!

A Land of Adventure
Last edited by Iris on May 5th, 2011, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged two consecutive posts.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Hi Guys, its been a while. :wink:
I thought I would post some of the songs I have composed since I was last on the forums. I split the songs up into two groups: Piano with orchestra, and just plain orchestra. Any critique would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy!

Piano with orchestra:
Far to Fly
Returning in Time
Climactic Contemplation

Just plain Orchestra:
Exploration
Moleman
Western Theme
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

If any of you guys are interested, here's a portion of some of my latest work. Just to clarify, this is not a finished work. I'm still debating whether I should switch from G minor to another scale or whether I should just have the whole song stay where it is. The drums need more fine-tuning in some places (the end especially) and I'm going to add some CC#11 to that oboe whenever I get the time. (SAT's tomorrow...)
Attachments
Adventure Theme.mp3.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 563 times
lipk

Re: Telaron's Never-Ending Medley

Post by lipk »

Shame on me, I downloaded it and then simply forgot about it...

This track sounds great! Although I could hardly imagine it in a Wesnoth scenario (it's probably just too fast-paced for a turn-based game :P ), it's definitely awesome. Hope you'll get the time to finish it.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Hi lipk, thanks for your feedback. I appreciate that you took the time to listen to my composition. I'm glad you liked it. ;) I was not really trying for a mainline sound (I gave that up a while ago). Instead, I am concentrating more on attempting to grow more familiar with my new drum library. Don't know how well I'm doing with it though... I will be uploading the next WIP for this song sometime in the next couple days. I've got it up to the 1:42 mark so there will definitely be more song. Hope you have the chance to take a listen.

Thanks!
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Not finished yet, but here it is. I added some instruments in various places to broaden the orchestra and improve the overall sound of the piece. The transition towards the end there still sounds a bit thin IMO so I plan on taking some time to address that problem. Hope you guys enjoy it! :D
Attachments
WIP Fast-Paced Theme.mp3.zip
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 542 times
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

I was recently threatened/asked by a developer (who shall go unnamed) to upload some of my music as a wesnoth add-on for those who would wish to use my compositions in their add-on projects. I have gathered together about a dozen various songs so far which I am fairly happy with, however, I have quite a few other compositions which I either am either working on or have set aside for the time being. I have decided to finish as much as I can and hopefully upload these songs sometime early July at the latest, updating with new songs whenever said songs materialize. :P

Also, just to clarify, all my work contained in the add-on will be under GPL license. I believe that there is an already existing add-on on the 1.9 server entitled Aeranor: Book 1 Audio. This add-on already contains some of my music.

Some of my recent work:
Attachments
Forested Vista.mp3.zip
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 597 times
jonaskoelker

Post by jonaskoelker »

Telaron wrote:I also thought the violins were [...] I'll have to fiddle with that...
Oh... I H# what you did there :P

I want to comment on your pieces, because... well, that's what I'm in the mood for.

First up: great work, I like them, and I like your style.

I agree with what I think the consensus view on figght is: that it' goes well, but goes sorta' nowhere.

Overlive goes somewhere, and somewhere tense, bordering on somber. I like very much how it's laying low from 0:46 to 0:52ish, then builds up to 0:57 where it explodes (maybe that's too strong a word, but my thesaurus is failing me at the moment). In that context, I find the ending sadly anticlimactic. If it was my tune, well then it wouldn't be as good (my experience composing is more limited), but I'd try making a lot of noise at the... `1-beat'(?) right after where it ends in its current incarnation and see if that made my gut happy. Oh well, use my sense of taste however you like---it's your piece. Of course, if you think anything like I do when I'm composing I don't need to tell you this ;)

Much of what's great about Overlive is also great about Regular Battle: I very much like the mood it evokes. I like very much how it builds to the ending. Once again, I think I would have preferred a (only slightly) different ending. My first "patch" would be to repeat the last bar (last four notes, by my bar-division) one or two (more) times, to see if that would still my gut.

Now, Terradorian's Theme Song I just love, period. Well done. Likewise for Epic Race; it's definitely epic :)

I like the overall tone of Demo, but again: it feels like it's building up to something but then it just peters out. I enjoyed No name, though I'd probably sooner relisten through Terradorian's Theme Song or Epic Race: No name somehow didn't pull me all the way in. Prologue did; lotsa thumbs up on that. About Run2, love the screechy, dissonant strings and the deep, foreboding piano.

Ship from the FogV1: I love the slow, low-key pacing until 0:20 contrasted against the brisk, vital and heroic theme that follows. I also very much enjoy the 5/4 meter and the meter changes; given that the common expectation is 4/4, the suprising timing of the blow of the horn underscores the surpise element of the arrival of the ship. Well done! Snow on a Castle is equally superb: I almost want to wrap myself in a blanket from hearing it; well-captured "cold" mood, I must say. And likewise for The King's Crowning V1: in it you've embodied the essence of everything regal and majestic. Tip of the hat to you, sir! :D

I very much like The Passing of an Age, but again the ending disappoints me a little bit. I like Zedarian Theme too, and here I got no qualms about the ending. A Land of Adventure is very much to my taste as well; very nice surprising twist in the end!

I still have some of your stuff to listen through. Maybe I'll get to that later. I hope you enjoy the feedback, both positive and... optimistically forward-looking :P
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

jonaskoelker wrote:I want to comment on your pieces... I like them, and I like your style.
Thanks; this is quite a bit of feedback. :wink: I appreciate the time you took to download and listen to all my stuff. Most of the compositions on this last page (beginning from Epic Race) are my 'better' compositions. Although I do enjoy sometimes listening to some of my earlier stuff, I find most of my earlier songs lacking many different things. (Good solid chord progressions especially.)
jonaskoelker wrote:I still have some of your stuff to listen through. Maybe I'll get to that later. I hope you enjoy the feedback, both positive and... optimistically forward-looking
I hope you can spare the time to give some feedback on some of my more recent stuff. IMO most of my later work is better than the stuff on the previous two pages - although I do seem to have a habit of not finishing a lot of my songs... I'm probably not the only one annoyed by this. ^_^
I'll have to make a concerted effort to polish up my previous compositions. Anyhow, hope you get the time to comment/criticize my other word and I will definitely take the negative with the positive; both are beneficial in their own way.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Out of all of these, Land of Adventure is totally my fav. Climatic Contemplation is great too; I was literally was like :shock: WOW when I first heard it. Really like the other pieces too; I'll have to add some of them to my campaign. In fact, I already added Land of Adventure to it :wink: Keep up the great work.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

vultraz wrote:Out of all of these, Land of Adventure is totally my fav.
Yeah, it's probably my favorites too. It was one of those pieces that seemed to come more naturally. I wish I could do that for all of my pieces. The piece I'm working on now - which is not posted here yet - is definitely not coming as easily as Land of Adventure did.
vultraz wrote: I'll have to add some of them to my campaign. In fact, I already added Land of Adventure to it
Great! Feel free to use whatever you want. As I said before, I plan on uploading a bunch of my songs as an add-on sometime in the near future. That way people who do not frequent the forums can also use my stuff in their wesnoth projects. This add-on will probably include a few pieces that I have not uploaded here, but unfortunately there will not too many new ones included as I have posted most of my compositions here already. Anyhow, thanks for the feedback and good luck with your campaign! :D
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Cool, I look forward to the add-on :)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Pentarctagon wrote:Cool, I look forward to the add-on
Thanks, I'll try not to disappoint anyone. :wink: Unfortunately this add-on will not include too many songs that are not already on this forum, at least not initially. I seem to have loads of half-finished projects hanging around my computer these days. I'm working on finishing at least a few of these and then uploading them to the add-on as an update. Trouble being, the add-on will probably be around thirty or forty megabytes and whenever I update, people will have to waste their time downloading songs they will have (hopefully) already downloaded. :P For this reason I will probably release what I already have onto the add-on server and then update whenever I have accumulated enough new material for it to be worth peoples' time to re-download the add-on with the new songs. Hope all that made sense.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

30-40 MBs is a pretty good size for an add-on, so you might want to consider making a "Part 2" or similar and then update that instead.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code