Telaron's Never-Ending Medley

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Telaron

Telaron's Never-Ending Medley

Post by Telaron »

Here's a song I worked on most of the day.
figght.mp3.zip
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 845 times
I'm not 100% certain what I am going to use it for, but I'll figure it out. I may make it longer also. Please critique. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Worked on the drums in the beginning part. I will probably add snares in at the end part.
Last edited by Telaron on March 9th, 2012, 4:57 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
desertdweller

Re: My Newest Composition

Post by desertdweller »

Hey Telaron,

I'm liking the feel you're going for. Based on my extremely limited knowledge of orchestral instruments, I'd say yours sound quite realistic.

I do get the feeling though that there should be a chord change during that main portion. Maybe a switch to F or Bb? Just to add more variety to the D C D progression. :) I also feel like the timpany/whatever that low drum is called drones on a bit too much. I'm not exactly sure how, but some variety in that would aid the piece too.

Good basis for sure though. Will need to hear more to give more critique.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

desertdweller wrote:I do get the feeling though that there should be a chord change during that main portion
Yes, I think it is rather repetitive too.
desertdweller wrote:I also feel like the timpany/whatever that low drum is called drones on a bit too much
Hmm, I got that feeling too. Maybe if I find another reverb...

Thanks for your reply! :D
PPH

Post by PPH »

I think you are achieving a great sound, but in this particular case, I think the composition doesn't develop any interesting ideas. There are no melodies or themes. It's very promising when it starts, but when it finishes, it leaves a sensatio of emptiness. As it is, it could work as an intro, or as accompaniment for a movie scene. But something is lacking.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

PPH wrote:It's very promising when it starts, but when it finishes, it leaves a sensatio of emptiness.
One thing that may attribute to this is that I haven't finished it yet, and that is just a 'mock' ending. But, yeah, I see what you mean. This song is going to go through some major renovations soon, I'm just trying to steel myself for the jump. :P
PPH wrote:As it is, it could work as an intro, or as accompaniment for a movie scene.
I always wanted to try my hand at scoring a short movie. I just have to find one that is the right length and doesn't already have music. (Which is harder for me than it may seem) :lol2:
Last edited by Telaron on September 3rd, 2010, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Telaron wrote:I'm just trying to steal myself for the jump. :P
I can steal yourself if you're having trouble. :P Just send me a PM.

:wink: Now I'll steel myself for what I have to say:

Overall I think it's a good composition, but like PPH pointed out, it lacks any sort of melody or theme. It seems like you have several small themes going on in the same piece, which leaves me feeling a bit confused by the end. IMO a song should develop one or two main themes, with any others playing a very minor background role in the piece.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

PPH wrote:I think you are achieving a great sound, but in this particular case, I think the composition doesn't develop any interesting ideas. There are no melodies or themes. It's very promising when it starts, but when it finishes, it leaves a sensatio of emptiness. As it is, it could work as an intro, or as accompaniment for a movie scene. But something is lacking.
I second this statement. The first them should be coming back in a big tutti at the end. To that effect, your middle section could use much more contrast: start with a smaller pp and grow to a much, much larger ff. Maybe not just play with the volumes, but also add instruments progressively. Also note that huh... "unison" and octaves are much, much more powerful then voiced chords.

You could also possibly add some kind of bridge/variation on the first theme section before that build up.

Also, in the first theme part (and somewhat in the intro too) I can't help but think the strings rythm is a bit weird. I've listened to it a few times and my impression varies somewhat so I'm not too sure, but at times it feels like they dragged (slowed a bit) and then accelerate a bit to catch up, and then drag a little, and then... But really, just a little bit. Maybe it could be an accoustic illusion, though... And I'm not sure if those strings motif clash with the main horn theme or not...

A last comment: I can't decide if the time/time signatures are interesting or badly done in your main theme. By default, I think it's interesting, but I can't really grasp the pattern: it's like it does a measure of 3, 3, 5, 4, then a couple more 4s before going back to 3... I dunno if it's like, intentionnal and really cool, or an accident in placing your lower timpani hits in weird places. (the mesure just before the theme comes in feels like it's either 3 or 7, too).

Anyway, I like your chords in general and the feel of the piece. It remains simplist and effective, which I have trouble with: I'm spoilt by jazz voicings and harmonization, my stuff don't sound classical one bit :/ Keep it up! :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

On a different note, here's another song I'm working on. :whistle:

It still has a ways to go in the mixing stage, but I'm trying to get the song done, and then polish the mix.
Attachments
Overlive.mp3.zip
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 686 times
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

I think It sounds good. The humanization for me it's well done, the arrangements seems to be simple but efetive. I missed some woodwinds but anyway....
Good job
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

And pretty much finished...
Attachments
Regular Battle.mp3.zip
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 691 times
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Oooo pretty drums and brass!! :D

Really nice, Telaron, I can see how much you've improved!! I like the dramatic mood you've set up, and there's some excellent work with the snare drum I heard.

But I'd suggest the following:
I'm not sure whether you can read scores, but look at The Planets: Mars (free score on IMSLP somewhere) You'll notice that it has very thick orchestration when compared to your's, which just adds thos extra layers of intensity. I also suspect you used the strings_florestan_marletello+violin staccato for all of the staccato - I'd suggest you don't do that ;) Spread the responsibility around to add variety, and more realism to the piece. Even though the hades_staccato sounds bad on its own, it can really add some bite when combined with other instruments. Also, give the woodwind section some love (not nitpick, just off-hand comment really but play around with woodwind, especially the clarinet and lower instruments to see whether it can help beef up everything)

Apart from that though, enjoyed the piece, as I said, you're really getting a lot better over the last few months. TBH, when you first came along I thought urrr, but now, I think, Ooooo cool music!! :D
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

CheeseLord wrote:Really nice, Telaron, I can see how much you've improved!!
Thanks CheeseLord. Glad you think so.
CheeseLord wrote:I'm not sure whether you can read scores, but look at The Planets: Mars
Well, I can read music, but I haven't read scores too much. I'll look into it. :D
CheeseLord wrote: Also, give the woodwind section some love
Will try. I have very small experience with woodwinds, but I'll see what I can do.
CheeseLord wrote:TBH, when you first came along I thought urrr, but now, I think, Ooooo cool music!!
Thanks. I'm sure a lot of people thought that. (I dread to think what West thought!) And to tell you the truth, I can't even listen to some of that older stuff!

Thanks for the reply! :D
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

On the spur of the moment, I wrote this. I'm trying to conquer my laziness and complete some of my older songs also. :mrgreen:

Please critique.

Edit: Ok, had a problem with the extensions. I erased the .mp3 that came before the .zip. That should work.
Attachments
Leave none alive.zip
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 714 times
Last edited by Telaron on September 8th, 2010, 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

(I suck at composing, so this is a subjective review from a 'listener' rather than a 'composer'. :) )

Very nice. I will say, however, that the opening 10 seconds or so sounds rather repetetive... the same sequence is played over four times on an ascending scale. Perhaps more variation in that part might be in order? Other than that, the underscore is quite impressive, and the overall progression is very nice. However, the entire theme seems to be one of suspense, which makes me expect a build-up to an epic, driving climax. I don't know if you plan to add this in eventually, but as it currently stands, it seems like the music sort of reaches a plateau, where it's just kind of playing without a whole lot of buildup or changes in the drama.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

:( The downloads are all twisted for me. It downloads "file.php" rather than whatever music you've uploaded. Could you please upload the next one you do without double extensions? (they're .mp3.zip at the moment)