Request - Bright & Dark pair

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Request - Bright & Dark pair

Post by doofus-01 »

Dixie wrote:Hey, I said I would do something (and still intend too) but it doesn't mean I will be insulted if anyone else tries something of their own/mine is not picked in the end.
A piece won't get rejected simply because there is another tune that fills the role. If it sounds good and is at least somewhat thematically on target (no slow mood music), it's going into Bad Moon Rising or Trinity (I have no say over anything else). There are multiple places in those campaigns that could use such tracks, and of course there are many other campaigns that could probably use them too.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, I have nothing near complete enough to show you yet, but I got together a theme and chords. It sounds so pop, next to other Wesnoth music, though! :S And other attemps were overly jazzy (the melody was especially hard to put together) And I really have difficulty writing for an orchestra, feels so weird to be stripped of the rhythm section (piano/guitar/bass/drum)! I didn't thought it would be so hard since I had written some half-decent videogame-like music in college, but the whole orchestra is another matter entirely :S Told you I was more of a jazz guy! :lol2:

Anyway, I should be having something about ok within the next week or so, probably.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, Dixie.

This may be a bit of a content-free bump, but I just wanted to assure PPH, Dixie, or anyone who was thinking of working on this that it was not just a random brain-fart on my part. (I'm never sure if inactivity comes across as patience or disinterest.) I'd tried to do this myself a while back, and the less said about that, the better.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, ten days after my last post, I have worked a bit more on what I had, but I can't say I am very satisfied with it. I've tried other stuff, some of which was promising but fitted the theme poorly. I'm considering starting over the composing part, I'll need more time at a piano. Sorry for the delay, I hope you weren't in too much of a hurry with this :/ I'm really not used with classical composing and orchestral arranging, it takes times for me to come up with something that fits the style/theme.

And I was not taking your lack of answering for lack of interest: there wasn't much to say, anyway. Or even if it was lack of interest, I'm mostly doing this for myself more than anybody else, so I'd have worked on it at my slow pace anyway, probably, and came up with something eventually.

Anyway - don't lose hope :P
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Dixie wrote:Sorry for the delay, I hope you weren't in too much of a hurry with this :/
No problem, I didn't mean to sound impatient.
PPH

Post by PPH »

doofus-01 wrote:
Dixie wrote:Sorry for the delay, I hope you weren't in too much of a hurry with this :/
No problem, I didn't mean to sound impatient.
I just got submerged in tons of work out of the blue. Still, I'll try to finish what I have. I was going to make a more elaborate heroic tune, but what I have can be finished in a realtively short time. The evil tune shouldn't take long either.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

In another thread, there was talk of no more music being needed, so I'm going to bump this. There's always more music needed!
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

doofus-01 wrote: There's always more music needed!
Music for... your campaign? If so, what type of music were you looking for?
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

doofus-01 in the OP wrote:Hi,

(I'm not entirely sure about posting this, since it is an UMC request, but...)
I need two tracks that share a leitmotif.
- One track is a heroic, G-major sort of thing.
- The other is lower, unresolved, whatever it takes to make it bad and dark. But not mopey. "Bad" more than "sad".

They would be used in a scenario event, not the story intro screens, so they can be any length, though 30 seconds is probably too short. They would have to come up to speed quickly, or start off strong, like "legends_of_the_north.ogg" does. They could have other tracks played after them, so they do not have to be looped or long enough to sound OK when played 10 times in a row.

They would have use in a few places in Bad Moon Rising and Trinity add-ons, but I think they could have use in mainline Descent into Darkness as well. That's not my call though.

The general idea is that the "bright" track is played at various times throughout some scenarios when a certain character is "good", then the character crosses some line, and the "dark" track is played immediately as well as a few more times in later events or scenarios where the character is involved.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

By the way, I'm really sorry about letting you down. I had no success with orchestral music all summer long, and then university started again and all my free time suddenly vanished. So I'm gonna let someone else have the pleasure of doing this, but if you're ever in need of some big band or jazz combo arrangements, I could certainly lend a hand :)
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

artisticdude wrote:
doofus-01 in the OP wrote:Hi,

(I'm not entirely sure about posting this, since it is an UMC request, but...)
I need two tracks that share a leitmotif.
- One track is a heroic, G-major sort of thing.
- The other is lower, unresolved, whatever it takes to make it bad and dark. But not mopey. "Bad" more than "sad".

They would be used in a scenario event, not the story intro screens, so they can be any length, though 30 seconds is probably too short. They would have to come up to speed quickly, or start off strong, like "legends_of_the_north.ogg" does. They could have other tracks played after them, so they do not have to be looped or long enough to sound OK when played 10 times in a row.

They would have use in a few places in Bad Moon Rising and Trinity add-ons, but I think they could have use in mainline Descent into Darkness as well. That's not my call though.

The general idea is that the "bright" track is played at various times throughout some scenarios when a certain character is "good", then the character crosses some line, and the "dark" track is played immediately as well as a few more times in later events or scenarios where the character is involved.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks.
So PPH never finished anything either? Maybe I can come up with something. I'm working on a song right now thats more happy than heroic, but it is in G major, oddly enough. I'll iron the kinks out of what I have so far (about a 1:10) and post that later. If it doesn't suit you, I'll try something else. :wink:

EDIT: Alright, uploaded the 'bright' song. ^_^
Attachments
H6.mp3.zip
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 467 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Telaron wrote:EDIT: Alright, uploaded the 'bright' song.
Cool, I'll check it out.
Dixie wrote:By the way, I'm really sorry about letting you down
No problem, I can't do this stuff either. University is probably a better use of your time.

PPH may still come back, one never knows...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Telaron wrote: Maybe I can come up with something. I'm working on a song right now thats more happy than heroic, but it is in G major, oddly enough. I'll iron the kinks out of what I have so far (about a 1:10) and post that later. If it doesn't suit you, I'll try something else.
Not bad. This does sound about right for Wesnoth, though it seems like it could use another track at times.

I think you are right that it is more happy than heroic however, I'm not sure it would work for my purposes. But I think it should be useful in some other place or UMC project, so don't hesitate to post the .ogg version when you finish it. :)
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Quite nice, it works well as a happy, jaunty kind of piece. :) Not exactly heroic, since the low brass staccato and the high flute make it sound a bit comedic.
doofus-01 wrote:This does sound about right for Wesnoth, though it seems like it could use another track at times.
Specifically, at about 0:21, when you have the cymbals come in and create that crescendo, I feel like there should be some brass start up there.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

doofus-01 wrote:I'm not sure it would work for my purposes.
That's fine. Maybe I'll try something a bit more 'heroic' later. :) It's been a sub-conscious idea of mine that I'll put together some of my music and make a UMC add-on entitled, 'Telaron's UMC music' or something with some-such name.
artisticdude wrote:I feel like there should be some brass start up there.
Actually, there is some low pitched french horn there, but I made it rather quiet. Maybe a trumpet would work well. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks for the input guys!