Request - Bright & Dark pair

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Request - Bright & Dark pair

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

(I'm not entirely sure about posting this, since it is an UMC request, but...)
I need two tracks that share a leitmotif.
- One track is a heroic, G-major sort of thing.
- The other is lower, unresolved, whatever it takes to make it bad and dark. But not mopey. "Bad" more than "sad".

They would be used in a scenario event, not the story intro screens, so they can be any length, though 30 seconds is probably too short. They would have to come up to speed quickly, or start off strong, like "legends_of_the_north.ogg" does. They could have other tracks played after them, so they do not have to be looped or long enough to sound OK when played 10 times in a row.

They would have use in a few places in Bad Moon Rising and Trinity add-ons, but I think they could have use in mainline Descent into Darkness as well. That's not my call though.

The general idea is that the "bright" track is played at various times throughout some scenarios when a certain character is "good", then the character crosses some line, and the "dark" track is played immediately as well as a few more times in later events or scenarios where the character is involved.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
PPH

Re: Request - Bright & Dark pair

Post by PPH »

So, this would be like, say, "Anakin's Theme" and "The Imperial March"? Could the "bad" (or even "evil") theme be a variation of the "heroic" theme?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sure, they can be variations of each other. That would work. I'm not familiar with the newer Star Wars (and this computer doesn't have sound), so I can't comment on "Anakin's Theme", but something with energy like "Imperial March" for the evil one would be great. There are plenty of places in plenty of campaigns where the enemies are loyalists or organized undead, so something like that could probably even get used often by itself.

I'd said "leitmotif" because I was thinking of them as tied to individual characters, but "theme" might have been a better word.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

An attempt at 'Heroic'. Not done, obviously. I just posted the beginning tune.
Attachments
Epic.mp3.zip
(572.35 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
PPH

Post by PPH »

These low strings sound more like the villain than the hero. If for the heroic theme you use such dark sounds, what do you intend to do for the villanous theme? :D
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Even darker sounds. :P :wink:

I think it's actually quite good, although the crescendo at the end seems to get somewhat muddled... it's hard to pick out individual themes/rhythms/instruments. But perhaps that is just the amount of reverb? And of course, it's rather short... but I'm guessing you have plans to fix that.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

PPH wrote:If for the heroic theme you use such dark sounds, what do you intend to do for the villanous theme?
Well, I never exactly said I was going to do the villainous theme, but I see your point. Still, I like the way it sounds...
artisticdude wrote:the crescendo at the end seems to get somewhat muddled
That is being (attempted at being) fixed. :D
PPH

Post by PPH »

Telaron wrote: Well, I never exactly said I was going to do the villainous theme, but I see your point. Still, I like the way it sounds...
True. But then you're making life harder for the guy who will :D When I listen to it again I might have some additional comments.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

As I said before my browser crashed: I'm usually more of a jazz guy, but I might give it a shot this week and see what it looks like. I think I can manage something :) There's probably some neat stuff to do in the "bad" part with diminished and sharp ninth chords. :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Ok, well, this tune didn't work for me. It ended up sounding more like a battle than anything else. I'll give it another shot. Here's the pretty much finished battle piece. Here's the final version. I read West's stickies about composing and I tried to incorporate as much as I could into this piece.
Attachments
Final Epic Battle.mp3.zip
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 543 times
Last edited by Telaron on July 7th, 2010, 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Telaron: PPH said what I would have said, but as you indicate, it does not matter now. Thanks for taking a stab at it though. If you do keep working on Epic Journey, maybe a different thread would be better? Just so that it is easier to find.

Dixie: Great! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

doofus-01 wrote: If you do keep working on Epic Journey, maybe a different thread would be better? Just so that it is easier to find.
Yeah, I completely agree. Not to mention, I wouldn't want to clog up your thread. :wink:

EDIT: This song has now been added by pfunked to his RPG game OSARE. (Yay!!!)
Last edited by Telaron on July 6th, 2010, 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PPH

Post by PPH »

doofus-01 wrote:Telaron: PPH said what I would have said, but as you indicate, it does not matter now. Thanks for taking a stab at it though. If you do keep working on Epic Journey, maybe a different thread would be better? Just so that it is easier to find.

Dixie: Great! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
I'm actually working on something too, but I didn't mention it because I don't promise anything. I took an unfinished villanous sounding piece I had (it was intended for orcs originally) and started a heroic sounding piece based on variations of it. I hope to have a pair of heroic/villanous sounding pieces in the near future. If when I finish Dixie or someone else has already made something, it doesn't matter. They might still be used for something, and I will have had fun making them.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hey, I said I would do something (and still intend too) but it doesn't mean I will be insulted if anyone else tries something of their own/mine is not picked in the end. I'm mostly doing that for fun, and I hope you all are, too, so don't mind my hypothetic sensibility and just go ahead :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
PPH

Post by PPH »

Dixie wrote:Hey, I said I would do something (and still intend too) but it doesn't mean I will be insulted if anyone else tries something of their own/mine is not picked in the end. I'm mostly doing that for fun, and I hope you all are, too, so don't mind my hypothetic sensibility and just go ahead :)
That's the spirit :D I'm doing this for fun too.

EDIT: Hey, Telaron, I just listened to the final version of your piece, and it's really very good. The style reminds me of the soundtrack of The Lord of the Rings. It's short, but I think it should work well as an intro or something like that.