Hello - music submission

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ewing

Re: Hello - music submission

Post by Ewing »

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions, West!
West wrote:Before I go any further I have to mention that I have a slight problem with my left ear ATM, basically I'm experiencing a distinct loss of high frequencies like having a lowpass filter on the left side. So I'm going to refrain from commenting on mix/production stuff as I'm not really a good judge of such nuances right now (and yes, I'm going to see a doctor if it doesn't get better).
Not to make light of this at all, but a few days ago, the hearing in my left ear would almost completely drop out as I was mixing some music. The left side would attenuate without warning and at random. Finally, I decided to check my left monitor and it turned out to be a loose cable! Whew!
West wrote:If I were to nitpick I'd have to agree with artisticdude that the strings/timp part early on doesn't feel convincing for some reason. Can't really put my finger on why -- might be the combination of very soft chords in the strings and a quite rhythmic timp accompaniment with nothing to lock the two together -- but OTOH it's not a big deal. From the top of my head I'd suggest having the celli and/or basses play soft staccatos to bring out the rhythm and make everything gel better... but then again, that might not fit the mood you're trying to set.
Since this seems by all accounts to be the section with the most complaint, I have reworked it, and I have to say I think it is much better now. I think my original idea was just never executed to an acceptable level.
West wrote:I also think you're overusing tremolo strings during the middle part. I don't want to get into a realism discussion but to my knowlede tremolo bowing is quite tiring and doing it for long intervals isn't possible in reality. Even if it's not a big issue in this piece, it's something to think about.
It's funny you should mention this because I was thinking the same thing (about the tiring nature and realism, etc.) I have reworked this section, and a little of the ending, to be an interplay of tremolo and light non vib (con sordino-esque). Again, I think this suggestion has improved the piece. Thanks!
West wrote: Speaking of that part, the way everything just drops out with those descending bass pizzicatos at ~2:40 doesn't sound right either. Not a realism problem, it just doesn't sound finished. If you want to thin everything out, try removing stuff gradually rather than just stopping. You're probably aware of this, just saying.
The errant bass pizz is something that's been on my mental list of fixes to make. It's corrected in this version.

I really appreciate the helpful critique and hopefully this version is up to the high quality level of the Wesnoth soundtrack.

Through the Woodlands v2 - http://www.box.net/shared/aqizdrjv23
(mp3 version)

-Blake
PPH

Post by PPH »

Excellent. Generally I think it's better, though I miss the strong chords that played together with the timpani. They're still there, but with all the other stuff going on, and with less volume, they are not that strong. The part that starts at 2:00, with the dissonant and weird motives is great, and very reminiscent of some of John Williams' work (particularly Star Wars and some of his concert work).
Ewing

Re: Hello - Through the Woodlands

Post by Ewing »

PPH wrote:Excellent. Generally I think it's better, though I miss the strong chords that played together with the timpani. They're still there, but with all the other stuff going on, and with less volume, they are not that strong.
I tend to agree. I have adjusted the volume of the chordal strings to bring them up in the mix a bit. To me, this sounds better. The new link is below...

Through the Woodlands v3 http://www.box.net/shared/ruk5t6584k
(mp3 version)

-B
Ewing

Post by Ewing »

I've made a few more edits and adjustments to this piece, especially in the portion after the main theme introduction in what used to be the chordal section. New link is below...

Through the Woodlands v4 - http://www.box.net/shared/3vd44zl5gl
(mp3 version)
Ewing

Post by Ewing »

Here is the link to the full quality WAV file (16/44.1) of this track. I'm trying out this new SoundCloud service, so if anyone has trouble downloading the track or otherwise, please let me know and I will figure out some other way.

[To download: on the player page, click on the downward pointing arrow next to "add to set"]

Through the Woodlands - http://soundcloud.com/blake-ewing/throu ... ds/s-bLglF
(full quality wav)