[non-Wesnoth] Korg Nanopad

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

[non-Wesnoth] Korg Nanopad

Post by West »

I've been thinking about getting some sort of midi pad controller for a looong time, but being kind of poor I've never prioritized it. Playing percussive instruments on a keyboard is awkward, but it works. Recently however I became aware of the small, cheap and very popular Korg Nanopad, and as I had saved up some money to buy music gear, I decided to get one. And it totally rocks!

Here's a very impressive demo

I can't play like that of course, but it's really a cool little piece of hardware that, for me at least, puts the fun back in recording virtual drums and percussion. Despite its small size it has a tactile directness that you just can't get with a midi keyboard. It takes some getting used to, but just jamming on it is a ton of fun. I even set up the sustain pedal to trigger the kick drum so I can basically play the kit as it's supposed to be played!

Anyone else here got a Nanopad? I'd love to hear what you think of it.
SkyOne

Re: [non-Wesnoth] Korg Nanopad

Post by SkyOne »

Wow! Are you sure Billy Cobham is not hitting drums next to him? (a joke :smile:)

That is definitely enjoyable. It seems one touch makes a shuffle, and the sound is almost the same as real drums.
I am interested in how much money you have to spend to get the wonderful toy.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:I am interested in how much money you have to spend to get the wonderful toy.
The Nanopad in itself is very cheap. I paid €49 for mine. Just to clarify, the controller itself doesn't produce any sound. It just triggers things via midi. David Haynes uses Superior Drummer 2 in the video,
TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

Hey West have you seen those Jazzmutant Lemurs ?!?! Everytime I see a demo of one I curl up in a ball and cry knowing I'll never be able to afford/justify the cost of one ... but they are SO cool!

And as for the Nanopad, I don't have one, but they look exceptionally great for the price. One of my mates has this crazy thing called a Zen Drum, google it, its pretty awesome to jam with. It's a midi controller shaped like a guitar lined with all these sensitive finger pads, kinda over kill but it's great for improv jamming. Would rather buy a Nanopad though! Or build a midibox! Or grab a wind controller! Ahh the choices! This hobby does no wonders for my pocket.