requesting permission - hope this is okay

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

theo_cupent42

requesting permission - hope this is okay

Post by theo_cupent42 »

hello,

I have been a wesnoth player for a long time (but just joined the forum :| ), and have always loved the music in it. A group of friends and I are wanting to learn & perform "still another wanderer", but are wanting to seek permission first, and (with a lot of luck) obtain sheet music. however, we don't quite know what to do. so it has brought us here. can anyone help us? is this okay? can we get sheet music? am I posting in the right spot?

thank you

TC42
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: requesting permission - hope this is okay

Post by Gambit »

You should try PMing West. I'm not sure that he frequents the User's Forum and would see this. He composed most of Wesnoth's music. I believe he did it via a computer though. I'm not sure how digital composing works or if there even is a "music sheet".

I hope this helps you.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Welcome to the forums. :) All content, including music, is GPL, which means you can use it for whatever purposes in whatever ways you wish without fear of legal action being incurred against you. Though you'd probably have been better off posting this in the music forum. As for obtaining sheet music, try PMing the author of the song in question, like Gambit said. Some DAWs automatically notate the music as it is composed, and those composers who only use the notation method will naturally have the necessary files (as long as they haven't deleted them or something similar).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moved from Users' Forum.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
theo_cupent42

Post by theo_cupent42 »

thank you for those who have helped. it's really appreciated. I'm glad to know it's GPL, since we don't have to fork out money. (that's the last thing we wanted to do...). we've been hoping to do it for piano, drum, flute, cello and others for a while now, so thanks for keeping our hopes alive!

if you know anything else about this, or have an objection, it'd be greatly appreciated. (well, in the case of an objection, appreciated per say but still...)

TC42
theo_cupent42

Post by theo_cupent42 »

artisticdude wrote:try PMing the author of the song in question
sorry to double post, but the name of the composer is encoded into the ogg file. however, there is no user account here to match it, which is a bit of an annoyance. could anyone help out here? PM me if you think you can.

TC42
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

...can you just post the name of the composer you were thinking of? PM is usually a bad idea, unless it's something you actually don't want anyone else to know about. The names of Wesnoth composers aren't private; that's why it's encoded in the ogg file. ;)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
theo_cupent42

Post by theo_cupent42 »

Zarel, that is a very good point. I just did it to respect the privacy of the composer.

The composer is timothy pinkham. I have found his website...I think.

gracias,
TC42
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

theo_cupent42 wrote:sorry to double post, but the name of the composer is encoded into the ogg file. however, there is no user account here to match it, which is a bit of an annoyance.
This is him, isn't it?
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

Hi, team! Long time no chat!

I saw this post today and figured I'd respond in case someone ever comes here looking for answers.

A number of people have asked me for a score for Still Another Wanderer. Sadly, I don't have one, at least not yet.

Someday, when I have lots of time, I'd like to do two things:

1. Re-record this piece with my updated samples to make it sound more real (although I still appreciate the nostalgic value of my initial recording, done entirely on my KORG Triton Studio with orch expansions...).

2. Notate the score.

Right now, I have other projects going, and very little time to work even on those (family and work eat up my time).

But, if I ever finish the score, I'll post here to let you all know.