Northerners Replacement

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Northerners Replacement

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

Okay guys check this out.

I've just finished a replacement for northerners.ogg. I've tried to keep the same feel/mood as the original (THE ORCS ARE COMING!!!), yet also polished it up a little (a tad more atmospheric/suspenseful/tribal). I've also kept to the 40 second limit which the original had aswell.

Keen to hear what you guys think; be honest :P

NorthernersReplacementv1.mp3 - 0.89MB

EDIT: I'm actually thinking this may need a few extra rather low/bassy drum hits to fill out that bottom end a little, experimenting with that now.

EDIT: Okay here's version 2. It's exactly the same with just some additional bottom end. I'm thinking the original sounds better though.
NorthernersReplacementv2.mp3 - 0.91MB
PPH

Re: Northerners Replacement

Post by PPH »

I like it. I'm not sure it conveys so much the sension of "evil approaching". I like these metallic (think they are metallic) cacophonic and dissonant sounds. The add necessary tension and "evil" atmosphere, but the tribal rythm sounds harmless. I think adding some martial elements, like a more regular beat, might help. This is purely subjective, of course. It's just an overall impression. Quality is great.
IoN

Post by IoN »

I like it (the one with more lower end moreso than the original), but I don't see why you have to keep the time limit on the thing. It seems unnecessarily restricting.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

IoN wrote:I don't see why you have to keep the time limit on the thing. It seems unnecessarily restricting.
I agree. The old northerners.ogg is more of a sound effect than a song, it might be nice to have a real song. Hopefully someone of authority will speak up on this.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

Thanks everyone for listening!
PPH wrote: the tribal rythm sounds harmless. I think adding some martial elements, like a more regular beat, might help. This is purely subjective, of course. It's just an overall impression. Quality is great.
The main problem with the original Northerners, I feel, was that it basically sounded like a drum corps regiment with the regular 4/4 beat and martial snare. I find it hard to imagine ruthless and violent orcs and trolls organising one of those :P But you've got a big point, at the moment its a little too thin, so I'm going to have a play filling out the arrangement and getting a bigger and more aggressive sound.
IoN wrote:I like it (the one with more lower end moreso than the original), but I don't see why you have to keep the time limit on the thing. It seems unnecessarily restricting.
I just plainly assumed that it was 40 seconds for a reason, seeing as nothing else really in the soundtrack is that short. I was just worried that it may break existing campaigns, or interfere with story scenes or what-have-you if the length was dramatically altered. But if I get the green light to extend it I sure will!

Thanks for the words!