Silvan Sanctuary (possible replacement for "Elf land")

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Silvan Sanctuary (possible replacement for "Elf land")

Post by fabi »

West wrote:
fabi wrote:Can "Elf land" stay like it is but be rerecorded with up to date instrument samples?
:augh:

In the very first post of this thread, back in November last year, I asked if there would be a problem if I made the piece longer than the original. zookeeper said it would probably work, and that's the assumption I've been working under. Admittedly the piece has changed quite radically since then, but there has also been plenty of time to raise this concern before now.

I have no interest in remaking old tunes with better samples, especially not other people's tunes. You would have to ask Aleksi about that as the original was composed by him. In any case, if this piece is indeed not useable as intended then I see no point in mainlining it or even posting a final version. We have enough rarely used music already and I didn't spend all this time on this piece for it to become a dust gatherer. And neither will I amputate any parts of it to make it shorter. If that's what's needed then just forget about it. We'll keep the old tune.
Sorry for posting such a short text that lead to misunderstanding.

"Silvan Sanctuary" is very useful like zookeeper already pointed out.
It's fine as it is and can and will be used in several or all of the campaigns I am maintaining as well.

It's even a very good replacement for "Elf land" during a scenario,
only failing at replacing it in most (beside the really text heavy ones) of the intro story parts.
I didn't want to propose any changes to it and I don't want you to butcher the piece.

Please don't feel discouraged by my quick post.
It wasn't meant as a critique of your work or an attempt to talking you in last minute changes to it.

It's just that "Elf land", even though being very old,
still has it's use cases for whose I don't find a good replacement in our current music pool.

So I would like to express my opinion that "Elf land" should stay around until a replacement that fits the needs of the story parts,
which are quite different to the "ingame" soundtrack, comes up.
The new track could go in with it's working name "Silvan Sanctuary" and I will be happy to wire it in.

Regards,
Fabian
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Done. Any eventual little flaws will have to be fixed at a later date, this will do for now. Ogg version coming up later today.

fabi: OK, fair enough. Sorry for sounding hostile but as you may understand the last thing you want to hear when you've spent this long on a piece is "I liked the old one better". And that was what your post sounded like to me. Tell you what, later on I might create a shorter version of Silvan Sanctuary for story screen use, something that gets to the point faster and is no longer than a minute or so. Does that sound like a good solution?

On a related note, this will be my last Wesnoth piece for some time. I have other projects that I need to work on and to tell you the truth, I haven't really felt very inspired to compose any Wesnoth music for a long time (which is why this piece took so long to finish). I'm not quitting or anything, I'll still be around to handle the LoM duties and stuff, just don't expect any more music from me anytime soon.

Edit: if anyone's interested, I've posted all 14 revisions of the piece here. It might be fun to hear how it's changed and evolved over these seven months.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

West wrote: fabi: OK, fair enough. Sorry for sounding hostile but as you may understand the last thing you want to hear when you've spent this long on a piece is "I liked the old one better". And that was what your post sounded like to me. Tell you what, later on I might create a shorter version of Silvan Sanctuary for story screen use, something that gets to the point faster and is no longer than a minute or so. Does that sound like a good solution?
Hi West, no offense taken.
A shorter version about a minute long sounds like a good solution for replacing "Elf land" completely
if that version is looping well.

Regards,
Fabi
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Hi West,
please post the ogg version of the piece so I can go and commit it.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

fabi wrote:Hi West,
I thought I *did* post it. Must be getting senile.

Ogg version here
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

West wrote:
fabi wrote:Hi West,
I thought I *did* post it. Must be getting senile.

Ogg version here
Commited.