What Programs were used to compose OGG musics in wesnoth?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Re: What Programs were used to compose OGG musics in wesnoth

Post by Dixie »

Um... Major thread revival? :?

Also, I personnally usually compose my stuff on finale/sibelius, extract the midi, then send it to Logic Studio to humanize/pick better sound fonts/put effects/etc. I don't like composing directly like that, I like to actually see the part. And I'm not that good at the piano, so I can't always play/record what I want how I want on my midi keyboard.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

galicae wrote:what about using a music notation program? I tried MuseScore and Sibelius. Sibelius has realistic woodwind and brass samples, but its strings are not of the same quality. It can also extract a file in midi format.
I don't read music and have no experience with any software like that. Sorry, can't help you. :(
galicae wrote:Or would it be better to just use open source everywhere?
With few exceptions, open source music software is ten years behind its commercial equivalents. There's a couple of good plugins (like Freeverb3 and LinuxSampler) but generally speaking I wouldn't waste my time with trying to make music with open source-only software. Good samples and plugins can be found for free, yes. But if you want a good full-featured DAW, you will need to part with some money.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

galicae
As Dixie said, the best way to Do your songs, if you don't play piano or you don't have a decent midi keyboard is writing the music in a music notation software and then making the audio improvements at a DAW. I've noticed that there are some notation software that have audio routing and midi cc but I don't remember the names anyway :whistle: . Sibelius is for me the best Music notation software. Finale seems like they put the features in the software and that's it, they don't worry about the USER, unfortunately ABM uses Finale examples in its sheet publishing documentation(Official sheet publishing rules in Brazil). MuseScore is my current notation software, It's really decent and have a decent documentation, keep on it. If you wish try something good and cheap, give a try on Harmony Assistant.

If you like Jan's works you may like Scott Buckley too, give a look on his site.

See you!
west
I don't read music and have no experience with any software like that. Sorry, can't help you.
That's why I think you're a hero.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

I had a difficult time trying to get to actually write anything in musescore. In Sibelius everything can be accessed intuitively. It is the best music notation software to me as well. I can't fathom how, but I will definitely find time to mess around with Sibelius 6. Harmony Assistant looks promising though.
Any tips on how to get things working in the MIDI --> mp3 route?
working on the greek translation
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

If you have the sound font as your default you could always try timidity.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

galicae wrote:I had a difficult time trying to get to actually write anything in musescore. In Sibelius everything can be accessed intuitively. It is the best music notation software to me as well. I can't fathom how, but I will definitely find time to mess around with Sibelius 6. Harmony Assistant looks promising though.
Any tips on how to get things working in the MIDI --> mp3 route?
If you're talking about MuseScore, It just works with soundfont banks (MIDI -> Soundfonts) and you can export the audio going "SAVE AS" but as Unnheulu said if you are trying routing the audio between apps in Linux you should have Jack and Timidity but I can't explain it to you because I'm to much time without make music in Linux.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

so I feed the midi and the sound bank to timidity and it does the work for me?
hmmm, promising. I promise I'll try that out.

EDIT: I downloaded and installed it (kinda). Abject failure is all I meet. Do I need sound libraries? Where can I find them?
working on the greek translation