What Programs were used to compose OGG musics in wesnoth?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nobun
Code Contributor

What Programs were used to compose OGG musics in wesnoth?

Post by Nobun »

Preface: I read the program list for music composition in the wesnoth homepage.
But none of them seems able to creates from 0 the voices and effect you need for a good music file.

For example to create the voice of that instrument you can hear in "breaking_the_chains" from 00:15 to 00:20 (first seconds of music) and to make that that particular voice plays that particular notes... what program you used?

Hope I can explained what I am asking :shock:

(I'd like to try to create some Oggs by myself)

thank for any reply
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: What Programs were used to compose OGG musics in wesnoth?

Post by jb »

I've used this converter in the past.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Mp3-Wma-O ... 93572.html
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

.ogg is just a file type for music, its not specific to any program. TO get an answer to your question about the specific instruments a composer has used, you'd be better off asking in the Music and Sound Development section.

So I've kindly moved your post there =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

thank a lot for favour. I didn't put message there becouse, seeing the fact I am not a developer of wesnoth, I never thought about putting topic here.

You understood well. I'm trying to know how you can produce a particular instrument sound or voice/effect sounds, better if possible writing notes directly :P

Sorry if I explained bad (to be more clear I know that Ogg Vorbis is a Free audio format. The question is not related to Ogg - could be mp3, wav, ... but the question is the same regardless of audio format).
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Ogg is a compressed audio file format, just like mp3. It has nothing do do with how the music itself is created.

To create the music, you need a DAW program. You also need software plugins and instrument samples. You enter notes into the DAW, either via midi controller or some other means, on separate tracks. You then add effects and mix the tracks to form a whole. Finally all the tracks are rendered to an uncompressed wave file. After mastering (slight compression, EQ, limiter, etc), the wave file is encoded into ogg vorbis format.

All this is covered in detail in the Music Contribution FAQ.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

On the Mac I use the free xiph components and the not-quite-free QuickTime Pro to convert my audio from AIFF to Ogg.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

West wrote:Ogg is a compressed audio file format, just like mp3. It has nothing do do with how the music itself is created
Perhaps the way I wrote the question is a bit confusing so I have to say that I know that Ogg Vorbis is a compressed audio format that, differently of mp3 compression format, is totally free (GPL license for most of components).
To create the music, you need a DAW program. You also need software plugins and instrument samples. You enter notes into the DAW, either via midi controller or some other means, on separate tracks. You then add effects and mix the tracks to form a whole. Finally all the tracks are rendered to an uncompressed wave file. After mastering (slight compression, EQ, limiter, etc), the wave file is encoded into ogg vorbis format.
Thank. It is more or less what I am trying to ask to. My problem infact was the my notation program (I don't know the english terms) can produce only MIDI unsing very bad instruments / voice samples. I had in past an old version of Cubase but, seeing the fact I didn't see the staff where to put notes I didn't understand how to use it. Perhaps I have it no more.
All this is covered in detail in the Music Contribution FAQ.
I read it but this new explanaition seem more clear. If I understood well I have to do the basic structure of music I am planning to play (writing notes in staff), than apply instrument sounds from an external library with another program, then mix and balance the voices with a 3D application.
Thank a lot :)
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Bon Giorno! I think you need take a look on these links:
Resources for Wesnoth Composers
Free DAW, the better what you can get for free

Its a hard way to compose orchestral music on Lmms, so I suggest you write MIDI scores at an Score Editor, like this
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hey Nobun, you definitely don't want to "put notes into a score, then process it with real instruments". This seems to be the way most people start out, and it's a great way to get a better understanding of theory, but the jump you need to make is learning how to program midi.

I use the piano roll to compose, and being a piano player, I find it very easy to do it this way. I think that's how most people who don't "play" their compositions write, if I'm not mistaken. You will also find a lot of people who say not to do this, because it sounds too mechanical and quantized, and yes this is true. But this is where you need to add realism with MIDI controllers.
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

Sorry for my bad english. I am not sure what piano roll is. If you mean some of those electronic pianos you can play in it and save your musics in MIDI.... I'd like to have one but I cannot buy it :P

I play piano a bit (I am not a pianist, however) and one of the way I realize a track is dirctly in my piano (a real one ;) ). Another way is to write notes in a program and listen how they are executed (most of time musics I am not able to play by myself).

However I need to hear what I am writing, and I'd like to create at least one composition in a real audio format (not midi) that, like wesnoth musics, is feeled real and not mechanic. :wink:

-----

Marcusvinicius. Thank a lot. some of you programs can be very useful.
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Ciao,
the piano roll is the main way Cubase uses to notate a midi track (you can also use the staff if you like). Anyway, You' better find a guide to midi composing on internet, since it is a quite complex subject but there are many good guides around internet. For example, http://www.tweakheadz.com is a good start.
Ciao
Gianmarco
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Nobun: this is a piano roll editor.

marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Hi again, I think you havent relative or absolute pitch, am I sure? If you have one of those I think you have no problem to compose on your real keyboard and then write the piece at computer. If you havent any teorich knowledge, just try to compose the music at your real keyboard then you write at a piano roll cause PIANO ROLL IS LIKE A REAL KEYBOARD, wich key of keyboard is the same key at piano roll.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

West wrote:Nobun: this is a piano roll editor.

Oh... I have somewhere a program like that (for linux if I remember well)... I never used it becouse I never understand what that "yellow bars" in side of piano "keyboard" (don't know english name) are exactly. But if you see it is a useful program I will search around net more infos to understand better how to use it. Thank a lot for info.
marcusvinicius wrote:Hi again, I think you havent relative or absolute pitch, am I sure? If you have one of those I think you have no problem to compose on your real keyboard and then write the piece at computer. If you havent any teorich knowledge, just try to compose the music at your real keyboard then you write at a piano roll cause PIANO ROLL IS LIKE A REAL KEYBOARD, wich key of keyboard is the same key at piano roll.
Interesting. So if I can find a relation from pc keyboard and piano notes I can play directly... funny. Even if I'd like to try to create an orchestral track from a staff instead of from a direct play (to have a better control of all instruments) I will take note of this fact. It can be very useful. To be more detalied... I never had the chance to study how to CREATE a track, but however I know the basics of teorich and music (so, for example, I know the rules about how to write a track in a staff)
gmlion wrote:Ciao,
the piano roll is the main way Cubase uses to notate a midi track (you can also use the staff if you like). Anyway, You' better find a guide to midi composing on internet, since it is a quite complex subject but there are many good guides around internet. For example, http://www.tweakheadz.com is a good start.
Ciao
Gianmarco
I will read it, together with other docs showed by West in Faq.

----

Note for West. Most of free samples you linked in that topic are no more available for download (or, however, link seems does not exist more). If I find some other free samples I will say it also to you. Thank again.
galicae
Translator

Re: What Programs were used to compose OGG musics in wesnoth

Post by galicae »

what about using a music notation program? I tried MuseScore and Sibelius. Sibelius has realistic woodwind and brass samples, but its strings are not of the same quality. It can also extract a file in midi format.

Or would it be better to just use open source everywhere? I read a piece at Durian Open Movie by their composer, Jan Morgenstern, who was using professional software, and people were discussing about it. I'm asking because I have absolutely no experience with DAW software and/or MIDI programming.
working on the greek translation