Making music with free samples

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aleksi
Music Contributor

Re: Making music with free samples

Post by Aleksi »

I have the EWQL Piano's, and it is the best sample edition EW has done so far. But it is heavy for the computer (need 4gigs of ram though if you want to the maximum piano setting). I only installed the Bösendorfer until now, which is 80gigs on HD space... :D

But, i'm not satisfied at all with the PLAY engine. Not very stable for me when you have lots of instruments, and way to sensitive on the levels. And does it sound better? Well, if you think "more compression, more output level and boosted EQ" can be qualified as better, then yes...

But, i think i'm really done with EW, they are going to mega super Hollywood sounds which are kind of uninteresting for me... Apart from the Piano...
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Aleksi wrote:But, i think i'm really done with EW, they are going to mega super Hollywood sounds which are kind of uninteresting for me... Apart from the Piano...
It's funny how you outgrow your samples after some time. I remember when I first joined the Wesnoth community and you were raving about how great EWQL was. And now, less than three years later, you say you're done with EWQL. It's a weird situation really, and I've expericenced the same thing myself, not only with samples but all kinds of music equipment. You get yourself new toys, you fall in love with them, you make a lot of music... and then one day you suddenly realize that maybe this isn't so great after all. You level up, so to speak.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Hi everyone! I leave this forum some days a go and Today I remember I missed a thought about sfz player: IT DOESNT WORKS ON MULTIPROCESSING.
If you have a dual or quad core processor, you need to configure your DAW(not sequencer) out to doesnt enable multiprocessing.
It's funny how you outgrow your samples after some time. I remember when I first joined the Wesnoth community and you were raving about how great EWQL was. And now, less than three years later, you say you're done with EWQL. It's a weird situation really, and I've expericenced the same thing myself, not only with samples but all kinds of music equipment. You get yourself new toys, you fall in love with them, you make a lot of music... and then one day you suddenly realize that maybe this isn't so great after all. You level up, so to speak.
It's the human personality: THE NEW IS FINE, THE OLD IS TRASH. It'll be like that FOREVER!!!

That's all folks :eng:
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

marcusvinicius wrote:Hi everyone! I leave this forum some days a go and Today I remember I missed a thought about sfz player: IT DOESNT WORKS ON MULTIPROCESSING.
If you have a dual or quad core processor, you need to configure your DAW(not sequencer) out to doesnt enable multiprocessing.
My sfz.dll works just fine with a dual core processor. I have an unofficial version that was released on the old rgc:audio forum. If anyone wants it, let me know.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

West wrote:It's funny how you outgrow your samples after some time. I remember when I first joined the Wesnoth community and you were raving about how great EWQL was. And now, less than three years later, you say you're done with EWQL. It's a weird situation really, and I've expericenced the same thing myself, not only with samples but all kinds of music equipment. You get yourself new toys, you fall in love with them, you make a lot of music... and then one day you suddenly realize that maybe this isn't so great after all. You level up, so to speak.
Yes, i remember. One of the sounds that impressed me most was the Snare, and now i can't even listen to it!!! But, also, since that time, i started to work with a real orchestra in my conducting and orchestration lessons. I also recorded a couple solo instruments at home too. Plus, this last years I've been shifting slowly towards the VSL sound library... So, adding all of these experiences, well yeah, +1 lvl ! :eng:
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

My sfz.dll works just fine with a dual core processor. I have an unofficial version that was released on the old rgc:audio forum. If anyone wants it, let me know.
I just want! I think I want to explain my situation:
When I got more than one instance, Cubase doesnt know how to process the sound and I listened an weird noise like PAXXIIIEEEEUUUUUUUAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!
I did try to open sfz in lmms then it works fine, why?? Lmms was not working on multiprocessing.
It makes me think sfz doesnt works on multiprocessing.
I did that "test" in more than one computer.

So you say to me: If anyone wants it, let me know.
YES , I WANT.
Listen to the music
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

marcusvinicius wrote:I just want! I think I want to explain my situation:
When I got more than one instance, Cubase doesnt know how to process the sound and I listened an weird noise like PAXXIIIEEEEUUUUUUUAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!
I did try to open sfz in lmms then it works fine, why?? Lmms was not working on multiprocessing.
It makes me think sfz doesnt works on multiprocessing.
I did that "test" in more than one computer.

So you say to me: If anyone wants it, let me know.
YES , I WANT.
Yes, this is a known issue. With more than one instance of SFZ, you'll just get a big, distorted, ear-piercing noise if you have a multi-core processor. Same thing happens with SFZ's commercial big brother SFZ+ (or at least it did a couple of years ago when I last tried it, but as Cakewalk doesn't care much about the SFZ range anymore, I doubt there has been any updates)

This version supports multi-cores though. I've used 40 instances or so in a project and it works fine.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Thank you west, it works fine :D
Listen to the music