Some battle type piece

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Some battle type piece

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted here, mainly because my job requires me to constantly be traveling, and I rarely have free time to be on the internet. But what it DOES do is allow me some free time to write some music.

The last time I posted something, some of you had mentioned that my music had no form, which, listening back to it, you were correct. It was just a bunch of 4-8 bar ideas that just went from idea to idea, and really didn't accomplish much. But I think this one is a little more solidified, and was made using the Silver Library of EWQL. Have a listen, and try not to rip it to shreds too much, :D

-Tyler

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/Battle.mp3
Rain
Music Contributor

Re: Some battle type piece

Post by Rain »

Very cool. I like the way you stay geared into the idea. Very classically oriented with the usage of lots of leading tones. Good job.

It would really cool if you could expand the piece by adding a slower section to break things up and then going back into the original idea into a stunning climax. Just so you can get more mileage out of the idea. I'd like to hear how else you could develop the piece. :)

My only problem with the piece isn't actually anything composition related, just regarding the sound. While the eq'ing sound good, and there is lots of head room, the mix doesn't sound big enough yet. I don't know if this is a by-product of reverb or what. But do you think there is any way you can experiment to make the mix sound bigger and more fulfilling?

I think the dynamics of the mix are basically good, but I guess just try to brings things out a little more.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Absolutely, this is actually just a clean cut Audio Mixdown with default EWQLSO EQ'ing/Reverb from some of the multi patches. I haven't even begun to mix/master this thing yet, and I agree with you on that apsect of it.

I could definitely add on to it, but I know myself, and when I compose something, I like to get it done as fast as possible (but still being thorough) or else I lose interest in it and it becomes buried in the library of unfinished works :D

If I were to add on to this, I don't know if I would go back to the original idea, or expand to something else, but a new section would definitely be more energetic and "heroic" than the last half. I'll experiment with a few things and see what happens.

EDIT: The other things is I work on a cruise ship and live in a small cabin with a roommate and neighbors who are separated by paper thin walls, so sound is a big issue, which means I have to mix on headphones, which is my No. 1 rule to NEVER do! That's the main reason I just can't get a good mix. I don't even like to pan with headphones.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

I know you work in a cruise ship. You've mentioned it before. :) Is that cool?

Anyways, It's really not even necessary to play at full volume when doing a mix down. To be honest, I've been getting quieter and quieter during the mixing process. I do this b/c I have a problem with losing head room very fast and keeping the volume low and working with compressors kind of creates a psychological situation where I won't run into those sorts of problems.

I realize what you mean with going back and putting new things into the music. Sometimes it is difficult to go back and re-envision what you were thinking with the composition and stay true to that while retaining a sense of consistency. But, it's a necessary skill to have for a composer have.
The basic reason I mention this is that while your piece is cool, it could stand to be a bit longer.

At any rate, It's a nice improvement from previous work.
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Very good job! Yes it's missing some polishing, but I like the overall theme and orchestration. Put a good reverb and the magic should be done :)
I agree it's quite classical in style, it reminds me also the Warcraft 2 soundtrack (this is a compliment).
ciao
Gianmarco
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Rain, yes I like my job very much. It's plenty of travel, meeting people from all over the world and I get paid to play my principal instrument. Great opportunity for me to save money and get my world traveling out of the way before I settle down.

Anyway, I posted a newer, mixed and reverbed version. Same link, but if you want it again here it is:

West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Tyler, this is a great piece. As others have mentioned the original version was a bit too small-sounding but this new one is awesome -- excellent job! It's perfectly in line with the Wesnoth style. I'd mainline this right away if it were a tad bit longer, at least 3 minutes or so. You think you could extend it somehow? No need to repeat anything really, I think sort of a soft, ominous outro might work. Your call though. If you really, really don't want to add anything more, I'm willing to accept it as is.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hey West,

I tried and tried to add something, and everything I added just sounded akward to me. It's like I'm not in the same "inspirational zone" I was in when I started it you know what I mean? Plus, it's been about 2 weeks since I started it, which is a lifetime. As I said earlier, I lose interest if I don't finish something right away. I'll give it one more shot, and see if I can squeeze a couple more ideas out of it, but this may be it ;)

I'll be back in a week with an update...

Until then, I'm leaving the Caribbean and headed to Canada and Alaska for the season!
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Well damn if that doesn't sound 10 times better than your first mix, which was already good to begin with. Your sound has become far more professional. Good work!

As far as a slow section goes, I'd really be interested to hear more. Only crit is that the piece is pretty short for a battle piece. Short but sweet. A slower section would compliment the main section SOO well. I know this b/c I can hear a ton of things you could do with it.

In fact, you if you aren't adverse to the idea, I'd really savor an opportunity to build on the music a little bit. I really envision a slower section for your piece that might be able to offer a bit more mileage. Since I am not really working too much on any of my own pieces atm, this could be fun to collaborate.

If not that's fine too.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Updated version:

Still not 100% but it's polished, the general idea is there. There are still a few velocity changes I need to make at the end.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Just thought that I'd chip in to say what a great piece this is. It's a little brighter than most of our current battle pieces - a little less desperate, but without being inappropriately cheerful. Listening, I picture an army of loyalists on the march clashing with a band of skirmishers in the midst of wooded foothills.

This would be a great piece for scenarios like "The Princess of Wesnoth" or "Return to Wesnoth" in Heir to the Throne, or indeed the first scenario of Rise of Wesnoth, where you clash with the Wesfolk for the first time.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I like the way it starts! The strings theme is really nice, especially when its reinforced in octaves.

The part that follows feels kind of plain according to me. It kind of kills the energy... Perhaps, it should be a bit louder, but should still have some percussive support.

No problems with the Xylo part. I really like that, it feels like a memory in the air... Kind of a sad tune, but yet still optimistic.

The middle part is GREAT! So sad... I would bring back the first theme right away though, fortissimo! You kind of get lost at the end, new elements keep adding themselves.

Overall it is a great tune! I can really feel a progression there! You've been working a lot, i can hear that! Keep up the good work! :eng:

Aleksi.
adaliabarclay

Post by adaliabarclay »

Really Great job Tyler First one was also not bad but upgraded version is simply awesome i really like this one
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Thanks for the comments.

I am currently re-working the ending, I actually tried what Aleksi said about bringing the original theme back into it, and it works but only I did after the last section, so I kept that section in there.

Anyway, i'm still perfecting certain elements to it and I will post an updated version soon.

This started out as a battle piece because when I started it, the beginning was all I had and it seemed like it to me.

But as the song evolved, it became more "epic" I guess you could say, more emotions and different aspects got put into it that I don't know if it's quite a battle piece anymore. It's more of a battle/storyline piece. It sounds like it should be timed with something, since it changes moods quite a bit.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I've been listening to it all day and haven't gotten tired of it yet... very good!
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."