Triumph

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeremy2
Music Contributor

Re: Triumph

Post by jeremy2 »

furioso wrote:I'm with doofus on this one. The tune is very good, and overall I like it, but I think the arrangement makes it sound a little over-happy. In the last minute or so, in particular, the harmony seems somewhat overblown, and the triangle too (though the melody is still very nice).
Anyway, hope that was intelligible, and keep up the good work!

I'm assuming by "harmony" that you mean the counter-melody played by the picollo/flute? And by "overblown" do you mean too loud? Blowing harder on the triangle doesn't make it any louder. ;)
West wrote:This is some seriously awesome music, Jeremy. Wow.
gmlion wrote:This is a great contribution. The music is really enjoyable, and the orchestration is really good. I think it could fit some special event, like the end of a campaign...
Thanks all for the kind words. I'm especially glad West liked it. :) I was aiming for it to be more of a specialty song, and so I won't be too heart broken if I don't hear it during most gameplay. There'll be other things that I write that will be more battle-ish in the future.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
furioso

Post by furioso »

jeremy2 wrote:I'm assuming by "harmony" that you mean the counter-melody played by the picollo/flute? And by "overblown" do you mean too loud? Blowing harder on the triangle doesn't make it any louder. ;)
Yes, sorry for the lack of clarity there. My grasp of musical theory is pretty basic (although I do know that you don't blow on a triangle). Perhaps "overused" would be a better word with regard to the triangle... Nevertheless, I like the piece a great deal. Just listenening to the opening bars really does give that triumphant feeling :D
Zerovirus wrote:Sprites for the Sprite God!
Aethaeryn wrote:What about dwarf dwarfs: dwarfs who have dwarfism?
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

furioso wrote:
jeremy2 wrote:I'm assuming by "harmony" that you mean the counter-melody played by the picollo/flute? And by "overblown" do you mean too loud? Blowing harder on the triangle doesn't make it any louder. ;)
Yes, sorry for the lack of clarity there. My grasp of musical theory is pretty basic (although I do know that you don't blow on a triangle). Perhaps "overused" would be a better word with regard to the triangle... Nevertheless, I like the piece a great deal. Just listenening to the opening bars really does give that triumphant feeling :D
Sorry about the teasing, it can be a bit much at times. Listening to it, I can see how you would feel that way about the triangle - but I kinda like it at the same time. As such, I've left things as they are for the moment. I have added the resonance samples, though. Take a listen:

http://gnexp.com/songs/triumph.mp3

And the ogg version:

http://gnexp.com/songs/triumph.ogg
Ronan

Post by Ronan »

Admittedly, my grasp of music, or at least critiqueing music, is limited.

However, I do know what I like, and I like this piece.

However it seems to jump around a bit at the beginning, and that's really all I can say. I leave it to the people who actually know things. =D
Watch out for hidden messages-they exist.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Ronan wrote:it seems to jump around a bit at the beginning
It does. It's on the verge of tolerance for me on whether I like how much it jumps around. Will I change it? As with most things like this, the answer is "maybe" - depending on if I can think of something to make it better. At this point probably not, but who knows?
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Surround Sound

Post by jeremy2 »

I'm waiting for my surround equipment to get here (I've tried a few times already... long story, won't go into it here) and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give feedback on a surround sound OGG export. Feedback like "it works" or "it doesn't" would be appreciated:

http://gnexp.com/songs/triumph_surround.ogg
vladikus

Post by vladikus »

This is a very nice composition with good pace and flow. Although there is nothing wrong with it the way it is, I would prefer a heavier sound. I'm not sure whether it sounds so light because of my speakers or the instrument selection or the overall range of the piece but the sound doesn't seem full to me. Really though, this is a mere opinion. Excellent triumphant theme!
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Jeremy, can you please explain what you were trying to do with the surround option and how you utilized it for this newest version? I think it will be easier to see the difference between this new version and other versions if you tell us exactly what you did. ;)

That being said, I find the separation between instruments to seem to be far better in this version than other versions. It seems more spacious and clear. What do you think Jeremy?
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

With the EastWest/Quantum Leap samples that I have, there are front recorded samples (of the hall) and rear recorded samples. With stereo only, I have to put the samples together. With surround sound, I can put the rear recorded samples in the back two channels. This better gives the illusion of being in a concert hall. I'm waiting for my surround equipment to come in, and so both versions sound the same to me as Quicktime simply combines the four channels into two. Other players may just play the first two channels if you don't have surround sound - I'm not sure.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

vladikus wrote:This is a very nice composition with good pace and flow. Although there is nothing wrong with it the way it is, I would prefer a heavier sound. I'm not sure whether it sounds so light because of my speakers or the instrument selection or the overall range of the piece but the sound doesn't seem full to me. Really though, this is a mere opinion. Excellent triumphant theme!
For much of it, I was preferring it to be really light as opposed to full. Thanks for the compliment. Are there any places in particular that you feel needs to be more full?
vladikus

Post by vladikus »

I feel a bit foolish, I believe I listened to the piece with my speakers turned down too much. It actually does not sound as light as I thought. May I take back my suggestion? Also, if most people like it the way it is--that likely means you already know what you are doing. Good job.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

vladikus wrote:I feel a bit foolish, I believe I listened to the piece with my speakers turned down too much. It actually does not sound as light as I thought. May I take back my suggestion? Also, if most people like it the way it is--that likely means you already know what you are doing. Good job.

No matter how well I do or how much I think I know, I am always up for suggestions.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I listened to the latest version, and I think the issue I mentioned earlier has probably been fixed. Anyway, I like this piece.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

I just glanced in trunk and did not see this song in there. Is this being passed over?
Is it OK if I use it?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but when I saw fabi had rescued dkaufman's piece from obscurity, I thought it might be worth pointing out this one in case it hadn't been rejected, but merely overlooked. It's not appropriate for default play-list, but surely it can fit in credits or somewhere else?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects