(re-post) Heroes Rite

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dkaufman
Music Contributor

(re-post) Heroes Rite

Post by dkaufman »

Glad to see the forum's up and running again.
I had posted this piece just before the crash. As I remember, reviews were mixed - but it could at least be put on the available music list for campaign developers.
Hate to see it go completely unused...

http://dougkaufman.net/wesnoth/dougkauf ... esrite.mp3
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Re: (re-post) Heroes Rite

Post by TimothyP »

Sounds great to me! I'd say put that bad boy in the main library if no one has yet. The game can certainly benefit from a piece in this mood.

BTW, Doug, what drum samples are you using? I'm wondering about the skins in particular. Are those from EWQLSO or something else?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I still have this on my computer and listen to it from time to time. Quite an excellent piece.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Rain, as the new Lord, it's your call...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I already said to add it. I just don't know who does that now. Whoever has the power, please add this to the main music library. I approve the addition.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I was going to download this just the Night Before The Crash. Thank you for reposting, but if it will be mainlined, I guess it's better for me to wait for Rain to do it. :D
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

I also approve this song as a possible addition to mainline.

However, I think it would be a good idea to discuss where this piece is going to go into the game before implementation as it seems that this would have an affect on where it should be placed in the trunk.

Also, I am going to be supremely busy this week due to work and schooling so it may be some time before:

1) I learn how to properly implement the music into the trunk

2) it is uploaded.

Unless there is an immediate need to have it committed, it will feasibly be done my me by the end of the week. That being said, someone else feel free to jump in and add it while I am learning the way things work. :)

It's a cool piece. I look forward to seeing how it works in the game.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I think it works fine. As i said before the crash, i find it to have a little too much reverb. It gets a bit muddy...

But, the composition works fine!

Aleksi.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I personally don't think it has too much reverb, but I'm a fan of heavy reverb. =) It's a taste issue, as always.

So what does it take to get this in the main library. Do we still have a main battle music library where the main gameplay music cycles? Or has that changed since I last played the game (long ago)?

Who puts the piece in the game library? Whoever does that, please put this piece in the main gameplay library. I think it's a great addition.

Someone please explain the current process from submission to hearing the music in-game. I'm a bit out of the loop, I think.
dkaufman
Music Contributor

Post by dkaufman »

It's been a while since I've opened that session (I think I've got it backed up here somewhere), but I'm pretty sure the drums were EWQLSO taiko and snare patches.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

TimothyP wrote:I personally don't think it has too much reverb, but I'm a fan of heavy reverb. =) It's a taste issue, as always.

So what does it take to get this in the main library. Do we still have a main battle music library where the main gameplay music cycles? Or has that changed since I last played the game (long ago)?

Who puts the piece in the game library? Whoever does that, please put this piece in the main gameplay library. I think it's a great addition.

Someone please explain the current process from submission to hearing the music in-game. I'm a bit out of the loop, I think.
There's a big generic playlist which contains pretty much all the tracks in the game, and that's used for all mainline MP scenarios and the EI and THoT campaigns. All other campaigns simply use whatever tracks the author/maintainer has wanted each scenario to use.

In the campaigns I've been maintaining, I've usually tried to put in mini-playlists of about 2-3 tracks for each scenario, choosing the tracks that in my opinion fit the scenario's mood best.

So no, there's really no distinction between "main battle music" and "other music" besides that which campaign/scenario designers make themselves.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

TimothyP wrote:Someone please explain the current process from submission to hearing the music in-game. I'm a bit out of the loop, I think.
Timothy, have you ever uploaded something to the SVN?

At any rate, it is clear that we don't have a very organized agenda for compiling this information. It seems to me that it would be advantageous for us music guys to get together and discuss the STEP-BY-STEP method for which submissions can be uploaded to mainline campaigns. It appears there is a scant amount of information available on what to do, which is leading to much confusion.

Maybe we should make a thread detailing the steps needed to implement tracks and sticky it.

I had a small conversation with West via PM and this is how explained it to me: (further clarification from other sources would be very welcome!)
SVN works like this. You download an SVN version of the game (which is an uncompiled version, not to be confused with the compiled version that you can actually play) to a folder on your hard drive. To add a new file to SVN, simply copy it to the correct directory, e.g. data\core\music. Then you need to run a command that synchronizes the SVN server with your version -- i.e. the file you added will be uploaded, and everyone else who syncs after that point will automatically download the new file. This way everyone working on the game has the exact same version.

How to go about downloading and syncing (I think it's called "checkout" IIRC) depends on what OS you're on, and I think there's instructions available on the wiki.
I will attempt to make this work later this week.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

SVN makes so much more sense now.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I see. So there is some centrally stored game data repository. When a developer synchronizes his/her local SVN version with the central server, it makes a universal change. This way, all changes get made to one central data repository. Makes sense, as long as the devs get a good explanation of how to acquire the correct files and how to correctly sync with the server.

It sounds like any or all devs could do this, if they so desired. Is there a writeup on downloading and working with the SVN and syncing?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

you need to have the proper permissions to write into SVN (anybody can read it)

not all music dev have this right. So far most musicians just asked for their music to be uploaded, and the LoM would do it for them. This can of course be changed, if you want to do it yourself, you should join #wesnoth-dev and discuss with the coders, they'll probably know what to do.

I think our music community could do with a little more organisation with regard to music,

* you could do like coders (everybody can post stuff, and we trust each other)
* you could do like artists (everything takes place in the forum and the LoM do the actual uploads)

it's up to you people, but you should write it in a sticky somewhere :)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim