A Lord of Music abdicates

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

A Lord of Music abdicates

Post by West »

Yep, that's right. I'm quitting. This might come as no big surprise as I haven't spent a lot of time in here lately. After the long forum downtime and the consequent loss of a number of threads and promising music contributions, I more or less lost my motivation. That's only part of it though. Work and other musical pursuits prevents me from doing a good job around here right now, so I figured I might as well resign and let some one else handle my duties. After all, I feel that I'm not a good and experienced enough composer to be handing out advice to others, so it might be for the best.

To clarify: I'm quitting as a music dev, but I'm not leaving the community or anything. I definitely intend to keep working on my Wesnoth pieces, and I haven't given up on the SSO sample library either. So I'll still be around, you won't get rid of me that easy ;)

As for the matter of my successor, I would like to nominate Rain. He's talented and knowledgable and hangs around here a lot more than I do.

Cheers,

West
Rain
Music Contributor

Re: A Lord of Music abdicates

Post by Rain »

Sorry to hear this West, but I am glad you'll be hanging around. I would of course be willing to accept these duties, though I would need a bit of feedback on how to do the job well.
After all, I feel that I'm not a good and experienced enough composer to be handing out advice to others, so it might be for the best.
I definitely don't agree with this statement at all. I think you've helped out a fair number of people with your commentary and you are a refreshing presence in the music forum. That being said, I understand your other feelings on this matter.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

West wrote:Yep, that's right. I'm quitting. This might come as no big surprise as I haven't spent a lot of time in here lately. After the long forum downtime and the consequent loss of a number of threads and promising music contributions, I more or less lost my motivation. That's only part of it though. Work and other musical pursuits prevents me from doing a good job around here right now, so I figured I might as well resign and let some one else handle my duties. After all, I feel that I'm not a good and experienced enough composer to be handing out advice to others, so it might be for the best.

To clarify: I'm quitting as a music dev, but I'm not leaving the community or anything. I definitely intend to keep working on my Wesnoth pieces, and I haven't given up on the SSO sample library either. So I'll still be around, you won't get rid of me that easy ;)

As for the matter of my successor, I would like to nominate Rain. He's talented and knowledgable and hangs around here a lot more than I do.

Cheers,

West
:shock:

My heart froze in despair. Specially since now we don't have a SVN-writing music developer around. :/ I was also hoping to see/listen a completed "Mountains" piece.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

West wrote:To clarify: I'm quitting as a music dev, but I'm not leaving the community or anything. I definitely intend to keep working on my Wesnoth pieces, and I haven't given up on the SSO sample library either. So I'll still be around, you won't get rid of me that easy ;)
Less cause to worry? I dunno if giving up his dev responsibilities includes the SVN part that you're worried about, but he's continuing to work on his music, so mountains should get finished eventually, no?
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

West don't doubt your composing skills man, you may not have the education that say, Aleksi or TimothyP have but you guys are just different styles. I enjoy your pieces just as much as I do theirs, and you've taught me a couple things about composing myself. Well, take care West, see you around the forums I guess.

EDIT: What about the IRC Channel? We should be more active in there, I usually idle but it's usually me and Elvish Pillager.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Jozrael wrote:but he's continuing to work on his music, so mountains should get finished eventually, no?
That's right.
Tyler Johnson wrote:West don't doubt your composing skills man, you may not have the education that say, Aleksi or TimothyP have but you guys are just different styles. I enjoy your pieces just as much as I do theirs, and you've taught me a couple things about composing myself. Well, take care West, see you around the forums I guess.

EDIT: What about the IRC Channel? We should be more active in there, I usually idle but it's usually me and Elvish Pillager.
Thanks Tyler, I appreciate it.

As for me not hanging out on IRC anymore, I got so sick of Pidgin opening up like six or seven chat windows everytime I logged in (3 channels, plus server windows and whatnot) that I ended up disabling IRC altogether. :)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Argh, why did i have to read this while on vacation!

Well, its good to know that your still composing music for the game! I think you always do a great job!!!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

:| :augh: :cry:

reconsider?

I think we really need a music dev and you are doing a great job so far.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Mica

Post by Mica »

Alas, t'is like a knife pierced my heart, and everything turned cold.

Your work here was amazing, not just your musical pieces, but the advice, the help, and the awesomeness you are...

Glad to know you will still be here, and I do know that if you really are quitting, that Rain will do an excellent job.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

Mica wrote: Your work here was amazing, not just your musical pieces, but the advice, the help, and the awesomeness you are...
This.
Ronan

Post by Ronan »

West?!

What are you doing?!

You can't leave! :cry: :augh:

Sorry you can't be on here. You are a great musical composer and a great person in general. (as far as I know =P)

~ Ronan
Watch out for hidden messages-they exist.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Technically he's not leaving... just resigning as the "Lord of Music" ... :(
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

After all, I feel that I'm not a good and experienced enough composer to be handing out advice to others, so it might be for the best.
You is a very creative man. Your musics are amazing!!!
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It means a lot to me, it really does.

Sapient: No, I'm afraid I won't reconsider. I might be interested in continuing my work as a music dev later on though -- which would be November/December at the earliest. But right now I don't really have a lot of time, and I'd like to spend the time I have on making music, not reviewing the music of others. ;)

OK, it's not like there's a huge workload or anything. But new submissions have a tendency of popping up when I have no time to check them out. Surely it must be better to get a new music dev instead of letting new contributors wait days and weeks for me to comment on their work?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

/me fires up XMMS with the_king_is_dead.ogg
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.