Some music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

For me, writing music is like modelling plaster: It's hard to change what's already there. Re-making it is easier.

This piece has four sections, with pauses in between.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Elvish Pillager wrote:For me, writing music is like modelling plaster: It's hard to change what's already there. Re-making it is easier.

Well music isn't really like modeling plaster... :wink:
You'll always be changing you compositions. Making mistakes and not beeing happy with your music is all the fun. Then you need to remodel it until your a bit satisfed (yes because you are rarely fully satisfied)...
Thats how if works. And as for longer music, i don't care if the quality is poor if you compress it. We can't use 15 sec music... We need longer score...

Aleksi.
Elvish_Pillager

Aleksi wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:For me, writing music is like modelling plaster: It's hard to change what's already there. Re-making it is easier.

Well music isn't really like modeling plaster... :wink:
You'll always be changing you compositions. Making mistakes and not beeing happy with your music is all the fun. Then you need to remodel it until your a bit satisfed (yes because you are rarely fully satisfied)...
I object to your use of the word 'you.' I am almost always fully satisfied. I'm not like most people.
Thats how if works. And as for longer music, i don't care if the quality is poor if you compress it. We can't use 15 sec music... We need longer score....
If I set the lowest setting, I can squeeze almost 2 minutes of music onto the forum. We'll see...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Even the best artists don't produce a masterpiece in one go...
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager

Sangel wrote:Even the best artists don't produce a masterpiece in one go...
I say this is a completely pointless statement, as it references only the "Best artists", which probably isn't intended to include me and which is only a matter of opinion anyway. It also depends what you think a 'go' is.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Ok, wathever... But you got to understand that you can't throw in music or whatever other subject like that saying its a finished product.
The reason why we have these forums is to communicate, give advice, critic. We choose what to keep, what needs more work, etc...
So my suggestion is that you rework your music, or make another one. But it needs to be min 2 min long and it needs to be good. If you can't re-work on it, ok... But if the music doesn't fit the game, it won't be in it. And if you cannot rework on it, then so be it...

Aleksi.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Ok, sorry i forgot to listen to your new music.
Sounds are still very poor quality...
You put some silences witch is better but i was also talking melodicaly... Your theme is like -melody-pause-melody-pause-etc... Lets say a bit mecanical.
I suggest you put some reverb also because the sounds are much too present. Especially when you make the pauses.
I would not put the actual version of the music in the game. Needs lots of work. And you needs to work you arrangement.

Cheers,

Aleksi.
Elvish_Pillager

I don't even understand your post but I think now that my kind of music isn't so good for Wesnoth. I like it, but whle other people don't there's nothing I can do with it here that would be useful. I am selfish, you might say, in that I won't change any art of any kind I do in a way I don't like because other people say it would be better. This can't go anywhere.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I am not saying i don't like it. Yes, at its actual state the music does not fit the game. But as i love to say;(a french expression translated :wink: ) "toute peine merite salaire", wich means "every effort gives a reward"... So i suggest more work is put into it and i don't see why it would not fit! :D

Aleksi.
Elvish_Pillager

Aleksi wrote:every effort gives a reward
This is something I don't believe. I could spend all day trying to lift a huge boulder, and that would be a lot of effort, but the boulder would still stay in the same place. So much for rewards.

I may work on the music more. I may not. It all depends on whether I feel like it...
Elvish_Pillager

Aleksi wrote:Your theme is like -melody-pause-melody-pause-etc... Lets say a bit mecanical.
It was supposed to be split into sections so you could criticize them seperately, not for pausing's sake.

Post by Guest »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Aleksi wrote:every effort gives a reward
This is something I don't believe. I could spend all day trying to lift a huge boulder, and that would be a lot of effort, but the boulder would still stay in the same place. So much for rewards.
A reward will not come on the instant! But day by day, you'll get stronger and will be able to lift the boulder... Thats how life goes... Thats why you study for several years... Thats why friendship grows stronger every day... You build something little by little... Effort on the long run... Got it?
Elvish_Pillager

Anonymous wrote:friendship grows stronger every day...
What a load of nonsense!
You build something little by little... Effort on the long run... Got it?
Hmph!

When you try something, you either
A) Get something done (this is useful) or
B) Get nothing done (this is useless) or
C) Get meta-stuff done (this is what you seem to be talking about.)

No matter how long you spend getting meta-stuff done you will get nothing useful done until you do. In fact, most meta-stuff is in th form of by-products which should be listed seperately and are not a direct result of trying to do something, but a result of your method.

P.S.: Are you a registered user who is logged out or a genuine guest?
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:C) Get meta-stuff done (this is what you seem to be talking about.)
well, getting stronger can be considered a direct reward, as long as its being a reward is not tied to any usefulness of being strong.
Elvish Pillager wrote:In fact, most meta-stuff is in th form of by-products which should be listed seperately and are not a direct result of trying to do something, but a result of your method.
And if you use a bad method, I can imagine you would hurt yourself rather than grow stronger.
[voice="Anonymous"]But then you have learned the lesson of not using that method; next time you will be smarter and use a different method.[/voice]
Not if you die from the injury.

I suppose that whether this statement is true depends on what you mean by "effort" and "reward". If an effort is any action you take, and a reward is something that you believe changes the world for the better (which is what I mean when I use these words), then your statement is false.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Sorry, the last guest user was me. I was on another computer.
Anyway, i guess we see life in different ways. Maybe i don't express myself in english like i would in french. But anyway i must agree with Dacyn when he says:

"If an effort is any action you take, and a reward is something that you believe changes the world for the better..."

I think we don't see the word "reward" in the same way Elvish.

'night

Aleksi.