[Policy] Legal Notice Regarding Contributions

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

[Policy] Legal Notice Regarding Contributions

Postby Forum Moderators Team » June 22nd, 2004, 4:09 am

The term "contributions" refers to any digitized images, music, or data files which are posted on this forum, and to which you own the rights. Unless otherwise stated, the posting of content suitable for submission to the game implies that such content is intended for inclusion in the game.

Pre-July 30th, 2017
Posting any contributions for this game on this web forum is a tacit acceptance of the fact that you are placing them under the GNU General Public License.

You maintain your own full rights to the contributions, and may continue using them for whatever you, the owner, wish to do with them, but you have given us the right to use them under the limitations of the GPL.

As of July 30th, 2017 and later
Posting any contributions for this game on this web forum is a tacit acceptance of the fact that you are placing them under the Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0.

You maintain your own full rights to the contributions, and may continue using them for whatever you, the owner, wish to do with them, but you have given us the right to use them under the limitations of the CC BY-SA 4.0.

Do note that posted material explicity listed as a demonstration of previous work (intended to showcase your skills as a potential contributor to the project) is exempt from this, as it is not a contribution to the game.

Other People's Content
Please do not post any contributions to which you do not own the rights, or any derivative work under copyright law. This has been done before, and we cannot accept such works.

Work to which you do not hold the rights may be posted under the "fair use" exemption, but not for the purposes of contribution to this game. The "fair use" exemption was created to allow things such as commentary, parody, research, and education about copyrighted works without the permission of the author. Should you make such a contribution, be sure it is legal, and be sure to accredit the copyright holder.

One good place to read about the "fair use" exemption, and copyright law in general, is:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
Last edited by Jetrel on June 22nd, 2004, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Moderators Team
Battle for Wesnoth

Postby Stosswelle » June 22nd, 2004, 6:07 am

um no, when we send them to you then place them under the license and all that other stuff
otherwise, its only wasting your time to keep track of all the preview and developmental versions of music
but im guessing this wont be enforced anyway except for the part about copyright infringement which, of course, should and will be
Hard/Melodic Trance, other Electronica:
http://www.musicv2.com/artist/stosswelle
Play Blood Series Maps!
--- ~WAY~ We Are Yousnoth---
Stosswelle

Postby Stosswelle » June 22nd, 2004, 2:34 pm

ok thank you for the edit
Hard/Melodic Trance, other Electronica:
http://www.musicv2.com/artist/stosswelle
Play Blood Series Maps!
--- ~WAY~ We Are Yousnoth---
Stosswelle

Re: Legal Notice Regarding Contributions:

Postby West » October 14th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Sorry for the bump, but I think this part is odd:

Posting any contributions to this game on this web forum is a tacit acceptance of the fact that you are placing them under the GNU General Public License.

Does this mean that every WIP (be it music or artwork) -- every single version that is posted -- is placed under the GPL, even if it's not accepted into the game?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Postby jeremy2 » October 15th, 2008, 4:05 pm

I would think "yes" as people could potentially use it in their scenarios.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Postby zookeeper » October 15th, 2008, 4:29 pm

Well, I see no harm in changing that. Music contributions are an order of magnitude more rare than people posting some random sprite tweaks or animation frames, so it's not exactly a hassle to require people to state it out loud (it's not like we wouldn't ask every new person who comes along and submits a piece about that anyway, just to make sure they understand the implications). It's a useful pseudorule for helping with handling individual small contributions, but not really required for music. So not really worth the potential confusion if you'd ask me.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Postby West » October 17th, 2008, 12:49 pm

zookeeper wrote:Well, I see no harm in changing that. Music contributions are an order of magnitude more rare than people posting some random sprite tweaks or animation frames, so it's not exactly a hassle to require people to state it out loud (it's not like we wouldn't ask every new person who comes along and submits a piece about that anyway, just to make sure they understand the implications). It's a useful pseudorule for helping with handling individual small contributions, but not really required for music. So not really worth the potential confusion if you'd ask me.

My concern is that by posting a potential contribution to the forums, it immediately gets GPL'd no matter if anyone uses it, whether for mainline or UMC. Which may possibly get in the way of using the piece in other projects.

So yes, I think changing it would be a good idea.

jeremy2 wrote:I would think "yes" as people could potentially use it in their scenarios.

That's kind of the problem. What if a musician spends months perfecting a really nice piece, and when s/he submits it here, we say "sorry, sounds great but it doesn't fit the game". We don't want it, yet we automatically place the piece under the GPL. What if the composer only wants to contribute to mainline? Shouldn't s/he be allowed to decide what happens with his/her music?

Just a thought.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Postby Boucman » October 17th, 2008, 4:45 pm

in art forums, the current rule is that all pieces of art are "implicitely" under GPL

in other words, if you state a different license, that's the one that gets applied.

The point was more to have an idea where all the contrib stand when not explicitely stated, not to force a license on authors...

a good variant (viable for music because there are few contributors) would be to have all contributors post on a sticky that they know that all art posted without mention of another license is implicitely considered GPL...

when someone new comes around, we ask him to read the GPL and post on that thread, we're covered, and that doesn't prevent him from posting some non-GPL work... he just has to state that the work is not GPL

sounds fair to me, did I miss something important or not understand a point of view ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Boucman

Postby turin » October 17th, 2008, 5:26 pm

For music, where contributions are accepted much less frequently, it doesn't seem like it would be too much of a hassle to just manually ask in every thread, "do you agree to put this piece under the GPL so that we can add it to mainline?" - and that would also avoid any unnecessary confusion and make it quite clear to the artist when their piece has been accepted.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Postby ADmiral-N » October 17th, 2008, 5:53 pm

West wrote:What if a musician spends months perfecting a really nice piece, and when s/he submits it here, we say "sorry, sounds great but it doesn't fit the game". We don't want it, yet we automatically place the piece under the GPL. What if the composer only wants to contribute to mainline? Shouldn't s/he be allowed to decide what happens with his/her music?

I'm pretty sure that as long as you are the copyright holder of your works, you retain full control over their licensing. What the GPL does here is prevent anyone who does *not* hold the copyrights (read: everybody else) from including the art in non-GPL projects, except after they license it under different terms from you first.
Subspace! Subspace is freeware and is the longest-running massively multiplayer internet space combat game in the world.
ADmiral-N

Postby chains » January 17th, 2009, 3:54 am

There are of course "cracks" in the version 2 license which would allow unscrupulous people to use GPL v2 stuff in a way not in the spirit of the license... Does anyone know wesnoth's position on moving to GPL V3?
chains

Return to Music & Sound Development