Wesnoth & Wesnoth Lite

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Wesnoth & Wesnoth Lite

Post by Sangel »

Currently, you can get a "Lite" version of Wesnoth without any music - handy for those on slower connections. Music is presently the bulkiest portion of Wesnoth, much bulkier than graphics or sound.

In this forum we've got a bunch of talented musicians creating some really cool music - in many cases far superior to what we have in the game. A lot of it's longer than the present music, which reduces the "loop" problems and makes it even better - but more bulky. I'd love to see it all get in the game.

Anyway, my idea is to have a "basic" collection of music - win and victory, a theme song for each race. Then there'd be a "full" collection of music - preferably a whole lot more, with cool day/night tracks, so on, and so forth. Obviously, this would be larger, and might even be a separate download.

Then, in scenarios, there would be two music tags. Firstly, there'd be a "full" tag, specifying the preferred music for the scenario. Then, if that's not found (because the user only has a "basic" music install), there'd be a "basic" tag, specifying a second choice among the basic music files.

What does everyone think?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I think its a very good idea.
We should do about one music for each campaign and loss/win for the lite version. Then we'll have fun making the BIG one!
I was also thinking of adding a playlist in the game. I already opened a thread about it some time ago. I think it could also be an idea. I personaly don't know how to program that into the game and how hard it is to do. But it would let the player choose whatever music he wants. But i think it was kind of what you where saying Sangel at the end of your post? Or am i wrong... :roll:

Aleksi.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Aleksi wrote:I think its a very good idea.
We should do about one music for each campaign and loss/win for the lite version. Then we'll have fun making the BIG one!
I was also thinking of adding a playlist in the game. I already opened a thread about it some time ago. I think it could also be an idea. I personaly don't know how to program that into the game and how hard it is to do. But it would let the player choose whatever music he wants. But i think it was kind of what you where saying Sangel at the end of your post? Or am i wrong... :roll:

Aleksi.
playlists, just what I'm saying

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1798
Stosswelle

Post by Stosswelle »

sangel those are great ideas and all, there just happens to be one thing:

we already are planning to do virtually everything you said and how you said it; see other threads

oh but a couple things

1. there are "officially" only two of us
2. the songs are not really longer or bulkier, just better quality, and once all the old stuff is taken out and replaced by new, the size will either be the same or less
Hard/Melodic Trance, other Electronica:
http://www.musicv2.com/artist/stosswelle
Play Blood Series Maps!
--- ~WAY~ We Are Yousnoth---
<Li`sar> he likes it when i stand up with the remote held high "I am the princess"
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I was aware that you were planning one theme for each race and win/loss themes, yep. I wasn't aware you were planning a dual-system, though. ;)

As to the playlist - I'm for it, so long as each scenario starts with its given music. The way the music works in "A Hasty Alliance" is perfect. ;)

I'm pleased to hear that the tunes aren't likely to increase in size much with the increase in quality. But to my mind, increased size would give you guys (all two of you, I guess) a lot more artistic freedom, and I'd love for there to be a way for you to express that with longer music and have the game recognise those longer songs and incorporate them where possible.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Stosswelle

Post by Stosswelle »

everything im doing is 2 minutes and therefore...ummm... dont know in ogg 1.5-1.8 megs?
so its a good length and a small size
and i can expand or cut down depending upon where it eventually gets used
Hard/Melodic Trance, other Electronica:
http://www.musicv2.com/artist/stosswelle
Play Blood Series Maps!
--- ~WAY~ We Are Yousnoth---
<Li`sar> he likes it when i stand up with the remote held high "I am the princess"
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

um, hasn't anyone thought of having a wesnoth lite with heavily compressed music?

Not enough that it sounds horrible, but enough to reduce the filesize at least by half.
Roel

Post by Roel »

It allready sound horrible on half of the sound cards (including 3 out of 4 I own) so compressing it more would make things even more bad (= worse :D ).

And I mean the crackling sound in the game, the files play fine with a software ogg music player.