Love Song: Reminisce

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

West wrote: So you're a trombone player, huh? Cool. I might consult you about some stuff in the future. Writing for brass is still something of a gray area for me.
I'd be more than happy to help. I will PM you my email address.
wsultzbach

Post by wsultzbach »

jeremy2 wrote:
West wrote: So you're a trombone player, huh? Cool. I might consult you about some stuff in the future. Writing for brass is still something of a gray area for me.
I'd be more than happy to help. I will PM you my email address.
I'm also a trumpet player (not exactly seller though).
What's this annoying thing that appears at the bottom of every one of my posts?
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I think it fits well. Lets add it to the library, were are short of music here.
Sorry for being so busy, its hard to be very present now. :)

Aleksi.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Sweet - thanks! Let me make some changes that Wes suggested, and then we can go ahead. I should have them done this week.
esr
Retired Developer

Do you have a new version yet?

Post by esr »

I'm ready to evaluate, and quite probably tag and commit.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Very good - I will let you know when I have made the final changes.
mesilliac
Developer

Re: Love Song: Reminisce

Post by mesilliac »

This is a nice piece, and never got committed. Jeremy, did you ever make your intended final changes to this piece?
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Nope, still working on it. I'm busy now, which is nice because I have enough money to pay the bills, but I am working on it as I have time. I should have it finished next week sometime, though, as all I needed to do was fix the reverb.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Ok, have updated with different reverb. Please comment. I have also updated the first post to point to the most recent version.

http://gnexp.com/songs/reminisce.mp3
http://gnexp.com/songs/reminisce.ogg
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Hey Jeremy. I think the new piece sounds pretty solid! Good volume level and good instrument interaction.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Blast, there is some crackling going on in the background. I heard it last night and thought I had eliminated it, I'm going to see if I can get rid of it in the next couple of days.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Holy crap, this was three weeks ago?? Well, I've finally fixed it. Let me know what you think.
Mike Klaas

Post by Mike Klaas »

Hey Jeremy,

As a caveat: I'm new here and don't know anything about virtual orchestration, but I have musical training and used to do a bit of composition. Also, I was a trombonist in my youth, so we have that in common. I'm going to give you two sets of feedback about the piece, one is a few things I think could be done to improve it for Wesnoth, and the second is more stuff to think about when doing future compositions. If I shouldn't be doing the latter on this forum, someone let me know :)

For Wesnoth:

- The main flute melody at the start of the piece could be loosened up a bit (rubato). In particular, the ornament before the jump at 0:25 doesn't sound like something a flautist would emit. I think that this would also be an awesome place for a pause on this note, followed by a fuller orchestra accompaning the flute for that last bar of the melody. Perhaps that would be too much pathos.

- every eight bar phrase starting around 1:10 has a held chord+buildup to the next eight-bar section (until about 2:02). This feels a bit repetitive; too many faux build ups. Also the chord at 1:28 sounds like there is a wrong clarinet note--is that intentional? I think omitting one or two of these chords would help the continuity of this section

- 2:02: I really like the pizzicato accompaniment here. I wish it was more prominent. Have you considered dropping the (bowed) strings for this bit and beefing up the pizzi? It would not only sound nice, but provide better contrast with the next 8 bars, where the strings take the lead.

Just to think about:

So, I really like the main melody of this piece (the first 8 bars). Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find that I never heard it again for the remainder of the piece! You do a lot of interesting things with riffs and rhythms from the melody, some of which have novel and unexpected chord progressions and instrument changes later on, but these are teasers and bridges for (what I expect) to be the triumphant return of the main theme. I feel a bit like you were worried about the problem of repeating one melody over and over with different instruments. You've done a great job avoiding that, but I think you need to give the main theme more credit and feature it again (the ABA format of the piece gives an excellent excuse to bring it back).

Again, this isn't to prompt you to make changes to the existing piece (I think it would be a great love theme for wesnoth), but something to think about for future compositions.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Mike Klaas wrote: I'm going to give you two sets of feedback about the piece, one is a few things I think could be done to improve it for Wesnoth, and the second is more stuff to think about when doing future compositions. If I shouldn't be doing the latter on this forum, someone let me know :)
I'll be doing future compositions for Wesnoth, so it's perfectly applicable. :)
Mike Klaas wrote: - The main flute melody at the start of the piece could be loosened up a bit (rubato). In particular, the ornament before the jump at 0:25 doesn't sound like something a flautist would emit. I think that this would also be an awesome place for a pause on this note, followed by a fuller orchestra accompaning the flute for that last bar of the melody. Perhaps that would be too much pathos.
Probably right about that. I'll play around with it. Listening to it again, I still don't like the reverb in half the places and so I'll be playing with it again. It won't be that hard to change stuff around while I'm in there.
Mike Klaas wrote: - every eight bar phrase starting around 1:10 has a held chord+buildup to the next eight-bar section (until about 2:02). This feels a bit repetitive; too many faux build ups. Also the chord at 1:28 sounds like there is a wrong clarinet note--is that intentional? I think omitting one or two of these chords would help the continuity of this section
I can see your point, though they're technicially 4 bar phrases. :) Three in a row is probably a bit much. I will look into the note around 1:28, I've heard it so many times that it sounds normal to me. I often will plugin in a weird note just to spice things up a bit.
Mike Klaas wrote: - 2:02: I really like the pizzicato accompaniment here. I wish it was more prominent. Have you considered dropping the (bowed) strings for this bit and beefing up the pizzi? It would not only sound nice, but provide better contrast with the next 8 bars, where the strings take the lead.
Not sure what you are talking about - but if it's the harp, then I suppose it could stand to be a bit louder.

Mike Klaas wrote:So, I really like the main melody of this piece (the first 8 bars).
Thanks!
Mike Klaas wrote:Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find that I never heard it again for the remainder of the piece! You do a lot of interesting things with riffs and rhythms from the melody, some of which have novel and unexpected chord progressions and instrument changes later on, but these are teasers and bridges for (what I expect) to be the triumphant return of the main theme. I feel a bit like you were worried about the problem of repeating one melody over and over with different instruments. You've done a great job avoiding that, but I think you need to give the main theme more credit and feature it again (the ABA format of the piece gives an excellent excuse to bring it back).
Actually, I never thought of it as a main melody - kind of a nice little piece of fluff tacked on at the beginning. Of course that's the way I think about a lot of my melodies that a lot of people fall in love with, and so I might try working it in later in the piece.
Mike Klaas wrote:Again, this isn't to prompt you to make changes to the existing piece (I think it would be a great love theme for wesnoth), but something to think about for future compositions.
I'm never opposed to changing things if I have the time. Some really great comments, I really appreciate them.