Theme?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

I followed the DFD setups as it was suggested in the manual. Expert/248 voices.
Go figure. My studio settings are currently set up for 12 voices...:x Perhaps that will make a difference. I actually use Digital Performer as my sequencing application so that my also be a problem. I will do some experimenting with this and see if there is any noticeable change. Do you configure buffer settings in via kontact or in cubase?
Does it help?
For now, yes.
Rain, what application do you use under OS X?
What application? Depends on what you mean. I am running Panther 10.39, Digital Performer 4.6...is this what you mean?

Also, do you guys know of any good setup for ambience? My reverb always seems a bit off.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Rain wrote:
I followed the DFD setups as it was suggested in the manual. Expert/248 voices.
Go figure. My studio settings are currently set up for 12 voices...:x Perhaps that will make a difference. I actually use Digital Performer as my sequencing application so that my also be a problem. I will do some experimenting with this and see if there is any noticeable change. Do you configure buffer settings in via kontact or in cubase?
Oh, yeah, you have to put 248 voices! But don't change the buffers…
Rain wrote:
Rain, what application do you use under OS X?
What application? Depends on what you mean. I am running Panther 10.39, Digital Performer 4.6...is this what you mean?

Also, do you guys know of any good setup for ambience? My reverb always seems a bit off.
What i call application, is the software you use. I use Cubase SX 3.
Digital Performer should be not different. There are a lot of people that are usinge EWQL with DP.
I also suggest you update to Mac OS X Tiger as soon as possible. Not only is it great, you will should see a performance boost on your software.

For good ambience, use Altiverb, its the best but its not cheap!
http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Altiverb ... bMain.html

I use Roomworks a lot. Its a free plugin that you have in Cubase.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I'm using Windows XP and Cubase SL3. I don't have a Roomworks plugin. That must only come with SX3. Are you ever going to upgrade to Cubase 4?

I am going to stick with Windows. I haven't tried Cubase on a Mac. I have a pro friend who uses EWQL on Windows and says that for him it is a better experience than with Mac.

Also, Aleksi, tell me how you get such loud volume on your final cuts. Give me some details here. Let me know exactly what products you use, how you apply them, etc.

Also, a detailed step-by-step of how you master from midi to audio would be great. My experience in audio mastering is still very low.

--Timothy
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

TimothyP wrote:I'm using Windows XP and Cubase SL3. I don't have a Roomworks plugin. That must only come with SX3. Are you ever going to upgrade to Cubase 4?
I don't know if i'm ever going to upgrade to Cubase 4. I am fed up with Steinberg… i mean really! The last update of Cubase SX 3 was in October 05… they've been promissing a 3.2 update for more than a year. They just announced they cancelled the update. Too much work for them, Cubase 4 is the priority. First they said there was going to be a free update in mac/intel compatibility for Cubase 3. They decided to cancel and call it Cubase 4... You can't imagine what the Cubase forums are going through now, everybody is very mad…
Now Cubase 4 has VST 3.0 which is actually not totally right. Its still a small modification of the current format. They are still working on it. And yeah, 80% of the plugins you use, not compatible!
I decided to move to ProTools. Its the most professional software/hardware and they have the best support! I'll maybe purchase the update for Cubase 4 because i don't have the ressources to go Protools right away, especially because i would like to get ProTools HD 1…
TimothyP wrote:I am going to stick with Windows. I haven't tried Cubase on a Mac. I have a pro friend who uses EWQL on Windows and says that for him it is a better experience than with Mac.
Always try things for yourself. You never know…
TimothyP wrote:Also, Aleksi, tell me how you get such loud volume on your final cuts. Give me some details here. Let me know exactly what products you use, how you apply them, etc.

Also, a detailed step-by-step of how you master from midi to audio would be great. My experience in audio mastering is still very low.
Well, i don't really do anything special. I don't use compressors for orchestral music. Sometimes, but then very little… Once i finish a midi music, i'll export in 24-bit every track by family instruments and solo instruments. Once i import all my tracks in the mastering session, I'll always add some compressor on percussions first. Then i may add some reverb to solo instruments but nothing else really. I don't recall having that good of a volume output.

Does that help?

Aleksi.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

It doesn't really help. I mean, what exact effects units do you use? What settings? What are the steps you use for exporting the audio and importing it? What does the process look like?

I thought ProTools was used for audio mastering, not sequencing. I don't think I've heard of anyone using ProTools for sequencing. Were you going to try sequencing with ProTools?
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

TimothyP wrote:It doesn't really help. I mean, what exact effects units do you use? What settings? What are the steps you use for exporting the audio and importing it? What does the process look like?
Hum… i'm not really sure what you want me to say? Can you be more precise? Perhaps you can tell me how you process so i can see what you really mean…
TimothyP wrote:I thought ProTools was used for audio mastering, not sequencing. I don't think I've heard of anyone using ProTools for sequencing. Were you going to try sequencing with ProTools?
Many people on the EWQL forums use ProTools. There has been great improvement in the midi engine. I'm just fed up with Steinberg and i want to be able to work without crashing 10 times a day…

Aleksi.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

Hmmm. I never crash. It must be an issue with Cubase and the Mac OS. Either that or you have a hardware problem. 10 crashes a day sounds........odd.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

new piece! Wrote it last night.

I was going for a more intense background, with more peaks and valleys to fill things out. I largely used the theme from my first subject. ;)
It isn't complete, so I faded it out until I can come up with a proper ending.

Thanks!

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/WesnothIV.mp3

I hope it goes over well! :lol:
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

My computer's audio port had to go and break on me right when I was in the middle of listening to this... :cry: What I heard of it sounded awesome, though.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Master Stilgar wrote:
My computer's audio port had to go and break on me right when I was in the middle of listening to this... :cry: What I heard of it sounded awesome, though.
Thanks! I hope you get to listen to the whole thing soon. I just hope the second half doesn't steam with the smell of manure. Its largely incomplete though and the real additions that I wish to make won't be available until I get my EAstWest brass samples working properly. :cry:

Thanks for checking it out.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Interesting piece. The beginning conveys to me a sense of pressure along with a promise of a better situation if you reach your goal.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

So far, so good!

Here are the obvious needs for this piece, and I'm sure you're already aware of them:

1. It won't sound truly good until it's done with EWQL
2. It needs some loving attention to detail. Devote some careful time to instrumentation and imagination. Flesh out each section so that they are strong and balanced.

Can't wait to hear your work as you polish it up.

--T
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Here's a bit more polish!

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/WesnothV.mp3
TimothyP wrote:Here are the obvious needs for this piece, and I'm sure you're already aware of them:

1. It won't sound truly good until it's done with EWQL
2. It needs some loving attention to detail. Devote some careful time to instrumentation and imagination. Flesh out each section so that they are strong and balanced.

--T
Thanks Tim and I largely agree with your sentiments.

I think I really need to focus a lot more on setting up sections a little better. My transitions are getting better but I do agree that having EastWest working properly will allow me to flesh things out in a more calculating way. Flying by the seat of my pants is definitely doing me far few favors right now and relying on Garritan any further will likely ensure my insanity!

I am glad you like the premise of it. :)

I will keep you guys updated.

Ryan
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

torangan wrote:Interesting piece. The beginning conveys to me a sense of pressure along with a promise of a better situation if you reach your goal.
Oops, missed your post! Thanks. Its good to know that my work is inspiring within someone's mind...something other than scorn. :lol:
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

TimothyP wrote:Hmmm. I never crash. It must be an issue with Cubase and the Mac OS. Either that or you have a hardware problem. 10 crashes a day sounds........odd.
I don't think its an issue with Mac OS X. I just work with lots of different vst instruments, plugins, and lots… lots of tracks with a bunch of automations! My G5 can't take it anymore… and Cubase just can't handle too much at a time…

Aleksi.