What equipment do I need?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Baufo
Inactive Developer

What equipment do I need?

Post by Baufo »

.. to make acceptable recordings of MIDI files? I suppose a Synthesizer but do I need Cubase? Thanks in advance!
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

So here we have THE question. I'll post what I know from my experience. Aleksi would have plenty of feedback too, so maybe he'll post (he's been busy lately).

To do midi music you need your orchestra. This will come in the form of some type of instrument sounds. These can be hardware or software samples. Software samples (soft synths) are most common today. Hardware is being used less and less. Today, orchestra samples can cost you anywhere from about $150 (for the cheap ones) to $5000 for the best (Vienna libraries). The better the samples, the more computer power you need. High end libraries are often run on multiple computers. This is not what any of us are doing. I've been using the hardware samples in my Korg for a long time, but am in the process of upgrading to the EWQLSO, which is what Aleksi has been using.

The other thing that is essential is a good computer. You need lots of RAM if you are going to run soft synths (max out your machine) and a fast processor, as well as about 3 hard drives.

You will also need a midi input device (keyboard) and a midi interface (the hardware that allows your keyboard to communicate midi data to your computer).

Another essential is sequencing software. This is what allows you to record and master your midi music. There are many options, depending on whether you are using Windows or a Mac. Examples are Cubase, Sonar, Logic, and Digital Performer. Aleksi and I use Cubase. I chose Cubase because it is cross platform, which I like.

And you will probably need a set of studio speakers and studio headphones. These aren't as essential.

The low end of orchestra samples right now are the Steinberg Halion Symphonic Orchestra, the EWQLSO Silver Edition, and the Garritan Personal Orchestra. The second two listed here are popular and very commonly used. The Halion is new, but not producing great reviews as of yet. EWQL and Garritan both have their own strengths, as I understand it, but I couldn't list them for you.

Obviously, the cheap setup doesn't sound as good, and the cheap orchestra doesn't sound as realistic. In the case of using a cheap orchestra, like I've been doing in the Korg, you have to do LOTS of modding and manipulation to create more realistic sounds. I'm tired of the time and effort required for this, which is part of the reason for my current upgrade.

The bummer about all this is that setting up an orchestral composer's workstation is very expensive. If you are not passionate about composing, and don't love working with orchestra, the investment might not be worth it for you. On the other hand, if you are seriously pursuing composition, you will eventually need to set up a studio like this.

Feel free to ask more questions and I can attempt to help with my very limited knowledge. Aleksi knows more than I do. I am still constantly learning more about this field.

--Timothy
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Thanks for your detailed answer!

Have I understood this right: you don't use a synthesizer but create the sounds with other software?

And how much time of creating a sound track do you take for the recordings? 50% of total time or even more?
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

Currently I use the synthesizer in the Korg for my sounds, but up upgrading to softsynths. Aleksi is already using soft synths.

I can't understand your question about time. Please rephrase with more detail if you can. Thanks!

--Timothy
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Sorry for my terrible English.
Here is a second try: I wanted to know how much percentage of the total time that you need to finish your track you invest in the recording. F.i. You need five weekends for the composition and other five for the recording you could say that you needed about 50% of the time for the recording.
Sorry again, somehow I get the feeling that this post is again terrible silly English.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I think I see what you're saying.

I record as I compose. Some people use other methods. I compose and record at the same time. I prefer to hear the samples as I write liines. Then I record one, test to make sure I like how it sounds, and then move onto the next part. I don't always write the score on paper either. I am currently doing this with Gameplay 04, but often, I don't. I wish I did.

And it takes me a long time to compose. I have a family, and therefore very little time to compose. I do a little bit every day.

--Timothy
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Baufo wrote:Sorry for my terrible English.
Here is a second try: I wanted to know how much percentage of the total time that you need to finish your track you invest in the recording. F.i. You need five weekends for the composition and other five for the recording you could say that you needed about 50% of the time for the recording.
Sorry again, somehow I get the feeling that this post is again terrible silly English.
A rephrase; what percentage of the time, with your current setup, do you spend in "modding and manipulation" of your orchestral sounds, as you described it?
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

Oh, if Jetryl's version of the question is correct:

The modding is constantly taking place. Trying to figure out just the right volume level for each instrument to make it not sound unrealistic, constantly controlling volume faders to make the phrasing sound more realistic, playing note lengths in a manner that will sound like the true phrasing of an instrument.....It's always happening as I compose/record. I can't give a percentage time. It's just part of the process.

(Although, being a perfectionist, I'd probably still do the same thing with any other setup.... =) )

--Timothy
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I wonder if there's any decent free program that doesn't require a keyboard input? Well since I don't have resources to buy equipments.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

battlestar wrote:I wonder if there's any decent free program that doesn't require a keyboard input? Well since I don't have resources to buy equipments.
Yes, there are. You can make your midi tracks with Rosegarden and play the samples with your soundcard. But don't expect too much, because a simple soundcard has no realistic sounds(instruments) to offer. It won't sound like an orcestra ever. But this is required for music in Battle for Wesnoth.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

vonHalenbach wrote:
battlestar wrote:I wonder if there's any decent free program that doesn't require a keyboard input? Well since I don't have resources to buy equipments.
Yes, there are. You can make your midi tracks with Rosegarden and play the samples with your soundcard. But don't expect too much, because a simple soundcard has no realistic sounds(instruments) to offer. It won't sound like an orcestra ever. But this is required for music in Battle for Wesnoth.
You probably need some form of MIDI keyboard to make inputting the music easy; technically, you can score it straight in software, but that's likely more difficult for most people, in the same way that drawing with the mouse is more difficult than drawing with a graphics tablet.

As for taking this "sheet music" you've written on the computer, and having it turned into nice, realistic sounds, you'll need to purchase some kind of "synthesizer". These come in both software and hardware varieties; that is, there are programs that can do this job, or you can actually get an external electronic device that does this job (often, one is built into midi keyboards that have their own speakers). TimP explained this in much further depth, above.

Third, you'll need some program to tie this all together; to actually write the music in, and to command the synthesizer to play it. I have no idea which programs do this, or which ones are good, and I'd actually appreciate it myself if TimP/Alexsi can answer this question. In fact, it might be a good idea to make a music-equivalent of the "Art Programs" page. http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Art_Programs (You seem to have already done this for soft-synths, but I don't know if you've done so for this category. I'm just casually interested; I think it would be very helpful for budding musicians, even if they couldn't realistically get good enough at it to be making wesnoth music within the next few years. Just a public service.)
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Thanks, I'll look into it from that, probably have questions about it later tho.