New main menu music!

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Transfermium

Re: New main menu music!

Post by Transfermium »

The draft for the new main theme sounds really great.
As for the most prominent Wesnoth musics, IMO it would be Still Another Wanderer, Legends of the North, Over the Northern Mountains, Siege of Laurelmor, and perhaps Travelling Minstrels (though that probably won't fit well...).
I have not brought you freedom, I found it here among you.
-Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

For some reason, it has a taste of a Hungarian cavalry military march. (I had to play a LOT of those, so I recognize some elements :D talking about the part around 0:35 - 0:53 ). I like it, especially the second part, around 1:00

My favorite mainline music is Weight of Revenge. Simply epic. I also like Northerners, Northern Mountains, and Siege of Laurelmor as well.
What I'd really like to see to appear for a couple of measures is a hint of the atmoshpere of something like the theme of Empire Earth theme. That, and maybe the theme of Age of Empires 2 are the best tactical game soundtracks in my opinion :)
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

I love what you've got so far, the concept of referencing as much iconic Wesnoth music as possible seems tricky to pull off without it feeling like a collage, but I feel like you've done a masterful job of that. The only bad part is that it ends just as it gets to the good part :D :hmm:
West wrote:
skeptical_troll wrote:The end sounds a bit strange to me, but I suppose the track is simply not completed.
Bingo :) It just trails off as I have no idea what is going to come next.
I feel like it'd be possible to segue into an Over the Northern Mountains reference at that point.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Ooh, we're getting a new main menu theme? Nice! I never really had a problem with the old one, but nor am I super-attached to it.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Sorry about the long silence folks! I had to go back and rework some bits of a soundtrack project I was working on recently, and then summer and vacation-type things got in the way. I'm back to working on the menu music now and I'll have a new version up in a few days.

I've been been trying to come up with a title for this track. What about Return to Wesnoth?

I find it fitting on a couple of levels -- the player hears it every time s/he returns to the game, and it is also my first Wesnoth track in many years -- but then it may not be the most imaginative of titles. Not that the track title is a really big deal, but still.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

West wrote:I've been been trying to come up with a title for this track. What about Return to Wesnoth?

I find it fitting on a couple of levels -- the player hears it every time s/he returns to the game, and it is also my first Wesnoth track in many years -- but then it may not be the most imaginative of titles. Not that the track title is a really big deal, but still.
Sounds perfectly good to me. Track titles of a game soundtrack indeed aren't such a big deal as long as they're distinct from each other, and we don't have any tracks with a similar name, so...
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Sounds great! My sister likes it a lot too.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I'm not sure if it's my place to argue, but I rarely spend 3 and a half minutes in the main menu. Unless this track is also meant for in-game music, I think it's too long. The part from 1:21 still feels too lively after that beautiful melodic part before.
I'm really just writing my opinion, I think it would be perfect without the parts between 1:21 and 2:36. That would leave us with a ~2:15 long track, which is the average time I think players spend in the menu.
This is just a minor issue I'm pointing out, the track sounds awesome :)
Is this version already GPL? Meaning, can it be edited and put into add-ons? :D
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Implying it will eventually be GPL, which I'd suspect is not the case...
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

WhiteWolf wrote:I'm not sure if it's my place to argue, but I rarely spend 3 and a half minutes in the main menu. Unless this track is also meant for in-game music, I think it's too long. The part from 1:21 still feels too lively after that beautiful melodic part before.
I'm really just writing my opinion, I think it would be perfect without the parts between 1:21 and 2:36. That would leave us with a ~2:15 long track, which is the average time I think players spend in the menu.
This is just a minor issue I'm pointing out, the track sounds awesome :)
I was asked to compose a track that is between 3 and 5 minutes, so that it can potentially be used ingame as well.
WhiteWolf wrote:Is this version already GPL? Meaning, can it be edited and put into add-ons? :D
No. In fact it won't be GPL at all, it will be CC-licensed once it's finished. WIP tracks are copyrighted, as per the Music Contribution FAQ.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow, it's epic!! That part from 2:10 to 2:36 was my absolute favorite part of the piece!
Maybe it's just me, but that part at 1:22 where it suddenly got loud and fast seemed a bit jarring. It really demands your attention there, I don't know if that might be distracting to a player reading through text like campaign descriptions or the tip of the day?

Amazing work, I can't wait to hear this in game! 8)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

So much good stuff here. It's awesome how you were able to incorporate all those different themes.

1:22-1:26 - seems out of place and not fitting the right mood; suggest to cut it
2:11-2:34 - despite what Inky said, this is not the type of music I would personally expect on the main menu, it's just way too energetic and jarring (sounds like a hint of frantic.ogg in there!) which is what I was hoping we were getting away from.

Other than those two sections it was like pure gold and I really loved it. Thanks for sharing your WIP.

Note: I am speaking only as a user not as a developer here
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Thanks guys. You know what, I'm also on the fence about the part at 2:11. I was trying to weave a bit of Siege of Laurelmor into the composition, with some vague hint of Ambuscade as well, but having digested this part a couple of days I agree with you. It is indeed jarring and doesn't go well with the rest of the track. I'm gonna put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with something different here.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

This any better?

If you can't hear any difference, try clearing your browser cache.